“A wonderful time”

Grand Hotel Reykjavik
Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We just got back yesterday from staying at your hotel for 7 nights. What a wonderful time we had. Your staff was efficient, courteous, friendly, and attentive to our needs. Their recommendations were fantastic. We appreciated the shuttle ride to the centre of town. We had a small glitch when we checked in at 1:00 AM------the room was not what we requested. The gal on duty remedied the suitation very quickly. There are some suggestions that I would like to make regarding the breakfast buffet. Although there is an extensive variety of hot and cold foods, and beverages, it was the same every day. Perhaps, more hot lamps could be used as some of the food (waffles and scambled eggs) were luke warm. Also since some of the food was unfamiliar, more labels would be in order. Perhaps some hash brown potatoes for the American palate. Lastly I would have liked eggs cooked to order. If that was available we were never told. The new lobby that was a work in porgress looks very nice.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner room----I believe the new wing---we had many walls of windows with outstanding...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,748)

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Don't stay in this hotel if you want soap, shampoo, conditioner, thick towels, bathrobe, slippers, air conditioning or any other comforts of home. It is a good 15 minute walk to the town which is very nice alongside the shoreline, flat and on a good footpath. We stayed two separate nights before and after a cruise and couldn't wait to leave. Breakfast buffet was quite good. There are some fantastic small restaurants in the township so don't waste time in the hotel restaurant.
The liquid soap dispenser over the handbasin was broken and missing evidenced by the wall bracket left in it's place but no dispenser. The shower walls were covered with pink mould. The towelling was thin and old, no extras for when the shower leaks all over the bathroom floor.
The foyer is bright and open but that's the only positive about this hotel. Staff are welcoming and helpful.
Because it was summer and reasonably warm, I opened the windows however they must be centrally controlled as they kept shutting themselves making the room stuffy and us feeling a bit claustrophobic in the small room.

1  Thank ontheroadsince73
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The title is all I can come up with positive. The front desk was helpful and the general condition of the premises is good.
However, problem after problem make this my last stay here. For example:

Wireless internet I paid for required a 20 foot Ethernet cable in my room. Still the signal was not functional at times.

Breakfast buffet was minimum and after first swarm of people, the basic items are not replenished

When paying for to go coffee, the waiter took my room key; And told me the hotel did not have rooms with the floor number I stated. After conferring with the front desk, was told I wasn't checked in the hotel !
I actually looked around to make sure I was in the correct hotel. After further review the front desk stated I had been relocated to another room. After the third round of questioning, an employee opened the room for inspection and all my belongings were in place. In the room and room number that they thought didn't exist.

(On a positive note, they let me have the coffee after the hour of confusion)

Of course if free coffee was available in the morning that might have prevented some of their confusion.

Other small inconveniences included:

One sheet and one duvet per bed. the thick duvet resulted in a very hot environment. The helpful desk stated the temperature is controlled with varying the amount of window opening. I hated the wasted energy, but that turned out to be the only way to adjust room temperature.

All meals were buffet during my stay. Not sure if this is the norm.

This concludes my report, If it's a really good deal, give them a try. But I would not recommend this hotel under normal conditions.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed recently for a total of 3 nights split over a week period. The hotel lobby is bright and open. The first room I was in was nice. It was clean and had a very comfortable bed. My friend and I arrived early before our room was ready and after a day of travel to get there we decided to use the spa to shower and clean up. The spa was quite expensive to just have use of a hot pool, shower, sauna and steam bath, but we stayed in it about 2 hours to make use of the $30 or so that it cost each of us. We ate at the breakfast buffet, which was okay, nothing stellar. We heard from others the dinner buffet was not good, but did not eat at it. Overall for the cost, it was a bit disappointing, but Iceland is expensive especially during high season.

Room Tip: The rooms that overlook the lobby seem newer or brighter, but they can be a bit noisier as the sound...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We spent two nights at the Grand Hotel and found the overall experience to be less-than-satisfying.

First the good: The hotel is clean and modern. The bed was comfortable.

Now the negative: The location, as has been mentioned many times, is a fair walk to the city. We are fit and don't mind walking, but did find it necessary to take a cab one evening to get to dinner. Unfortunately, it seems that the larger hotels are all similary situated.
Upon arrival, we found that there are no bell staff to assist with luggage. In addition, we arrived a bit after midnight and found that there were no kitchens open. This was surprising given that they bill themselves as a "business hotel" and call themselves "grand".
The rooms are small and stuffy. We were able to open a window but unfortunately the traffic noise outside was problemmatic so we called the front desk and they did deliver a fan.
Breakfast buffet offerings were fairly limited and the staff were inefficient and unsmiling. Getting someone to bring us a coffee cup proved to be a challenge because the staff walk around looking down and avoiding all eye contact with the guests. We didn't have milk on the table for our coffee, and had a hard time getting someone to bring us some, so we just pulled one off another table. A bit of training in customer service would probably be helpful.

I would not choose this hotel on a future trip to Reykjavik, due to location and service issues (but mostly because of the service limitations).

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We spent 7 nights here on our visit with a group of 3 kids (1-8 years), 2 teenagers (15, 17) and 6 adults (32-68). Everyone was really happy with the rooms, spacious, tidy, and also rather good view. Breakfast was great, good oppurtunities even though it was fully booked during the week. Lots of different things to choose from and good service all in all. The hotel is a bit far from the city if you just wanna go out for a quick dinner etc. in the city. Almost 30 minutes to the nice restaurant. The only real nuisance was the dinner buffé. Cold, unpassioned personell service, strange live music (they should have hired 2 more in the serving crew instead of musicians...). The food was ok, but cold potatoes, rice etc. standing on a buffé for a long time is a real turn of for me.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The people at reception were very helpful as far as restaurants and things to do. The rooms were pretty spacious for European hotels and it was only about a 15 minute walk to downtown. Would definitely stay there again. The wi-fi worked well in the lobby and the business center was great with desktop computers that guests could use.

Room Tip: The rooms in the newer wing are a little nicer but the older wing has a business center, with full s...