2,007 results
All reviews city centre miso soup nice hotel shuttle service free shuttle business hotel minute walk breakfast buffet taxi ride lobby bar happy hour executive room northern lights the hotel offers family room reception staff blue lagoon
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Although I had specifically reserved a room in the tower block, on arrival I was told I had been 'upgraded' to a larger room, but as it transpired, it was in the older part of the hotel. The allocated room was large, well furnished, but a little dated. There was no alarm clock, the anglepoise lamp on the desk didn't work because it required a bulb. Over two days I requested one no less than 4 times, until in the end I suggested I purchase one!! The receptionist then went to the store room obtained a bulb and fitted it himself. Not a receptionist's job! I do question whether it is a 4-star hotel. There were no toiletries or shower cap in the bathroom. I had to request a showercap. Again that presented a problem, but it did materialise fairly promptly. When running the tap first thing in the morning, there was quite a strong smell of sulphur. For the number of clients catered for, I think generally the hotel was understaffed. In fairness, all the staff I had dealings with were polite and tried to be helpful, but were just too busy. The hotel was clean. The breakfast buffet had a great variety of food, catering for all nationalities, and especially those from the Far East. But again, between 7-8am when at its busiest, there were insufficient staff to clear tables or replenish the buffet, serve coffee or relay the tables. It was, however, better around 9am. The restaurant looked rather expensive for largely international cuisine. I did not test it. The hotel is about a 25-30 minute walk to the main street/port area where there are a great variety of restaurants to suit all tastes and pockets. And Reykjavik is quite safe to wonder around alone in the evenings. (There are, however, about three public buses nos. 14, 19, 11, serving the area and heading downtown, but they run rather infrequently at 15 or so minute intervals and longer on Sundays.) In the summer months it is not a problem to walk, but in the winter, I would consider this hotel to be a little too far out. The Wi-Fi in the room was not tested, but there are three terminals in the reception area which are free to use. I would stay there again, but would absolutely insist on a room in the tower block.

Room tip: Insist on the tower block and not facing the inner courtyard/reception area.
Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank 588Globetrotter
Grand_Hotel_R, Deputy General Manager at Grand Hotel Reykjavik, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel, we appreciate all feedback we get and use it in order to continually improve ourselves.

I am happy to hear you found our employees polite and helpful overall and that you enjoyed the safety and family-friendliness of Reykjavík.

With regards to our guest bedrooms, we have recently renovated almost all our bedrooms in our Main Building. We still have 19 rooms left to renovate as they require a more extensive renovation as we intend to expand the rooms themselves by moving one of the walls. One of these rooms is a Junior Suite which I believe you were upgraded to and as I mentioned it is awaiting renovation.

Please accept my apology for the lack of response when it came to replacing a bulb and arranging an alarm clock for you. I am pleased the Receptionist eventually replaced the bulb themselves as even though it is not in their job descripiton it did displayed initiative.

Please note that we have been awarded the official Nordic Ecolabel which evaluates a product's impact on the environment throughout the whole lifecycle. In accordance to the Ecolabel's standards we do not offer any disposable products in our guest bedrooms but they remain available upon request at Reception. We hope for our guests understanding and participitation in order to make us as environmentally friendly as possible.

Should you ever return to us please contact us directly and we will ensure to accommodate you according to your wishes and display our very best qualities.

Kindest Regards,

Gylfi Freyr Guðmundsson

Reviewed August 12, 2012

25 mins walk from main street/port but there is a courtesy bus 3 times a day there and back and as we were the only ones requesting a 12 noon pick up they sent and paid for a private taxi (£12 ) and we had a craggy, but charming Icelandic driver who was very helpful and full of local character.
The hotel was clean, ambient temp., modern with a nod in the direction of Icelandic/Scandinavian style and class; I use my mobile phone as an alarm. Rooms comfortable and warm; Ours overlooked the Reception Desk area of the atrium, 3rd floor, but quiet and entertaining view if you like that kind of thing. What grabbed me was my room looked across the way also - directly into a dance school where the Icelandic National Ballet was rehearsing Swan Lake - I had at least an hour of gazing/entertainment of 1st class ballet sitting on the long, wide window sill in my room!! They didn't say that in the brochure! The rest of the time the ballet was getting on doing its thing 12 hours a day at the barre etc. A most unusual bonus! Breakfast was a highlight. Yes, no new food after 9am but it was a huge buffet selection and quite removed the need for lunch. The amount of freedom smoked salmon and gravad lax was simply astonishing; the bread was artisan and Nordicly wholesome. The restaurant was pricey but worthwhile if you didn't mind paying a bit more to eat in; some food in the atrium was not unreasonable. Staff very helpful and informed/professional and had all the tourist info to hand. No need to struggle with where to go! Loads of options and information and help to organise tours to your own preferance. 24 hour free internet on their own 3 PCs in lobby internet area and loads of pens and stationery free. Some interesting/tasteful craft/design/ Icelandic knits shops in lobby where one cd while away time; We only stayed 2 nights in transit but wd enjoy to go there again. Staff superb! Real Icelandic hospitality, very approachable.

Room tip: We just took the standard double room we were given, 3rd floor, overlooking atrium/reception desk - it was very clean, no carpet - just warm wooden floor, Scandinavian style in decor but altogether very acceptable, comfortable and smart.
Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank ShireenSouboura
Reviewed August 6, 2012

A complete failure for my family: 1) on Saturday the 5th of August we were woken at 8.30 am by loud announcements (through megaphones): organisers of 'Scarlet Conference' were addressing their group outside the hotel. When I complained later to the reception I was told that the use of megaphone was illegal. If so, why nobody stopped them and allowed them being used for about 15-20 minutes? Mind, that this hotel holds a lot of conferences; 2) on Sunday morning we were woken at 6.30 am (!) by phone just to be asked if we booked a bus to the airport... Yes, it was booked, but for the next day - the receptionist did not bother to look properly at the papers; 3) I've made inquiries about the opening hours of the biggest shopping centre (Kruge) on Sunday the 5th. I also mentioned that it was Bank holiday weekend and asked to check exactly as we were planning our last day in the capital. The receptionist assured us ( and he even consulted his collegues), that it will be opened from 1 o'clock. Well... We did planned our day: we arrived at the shopping centre... to find out that it was closed! I could mention some other items of complete unproffesionalism of the personnal but I beleive these three would be quite enough. The person responsible for training people working at the reception definitely does not do the job properly. Complete failure for the hotel, complete failure for my family.

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank nadezhdaLondon
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed here for two nights to explore the city. We booked a fly-drive and were booked in here after having previously completed the Golden Circle tour by car and explored the south coast. The hotel was much better than I was expecting. We had two rooms overlooking the lobby area, but were very spacious, well equipped and comfortable. We could even get the free internet. The breakfast was very good - the only shortfall was not having the option of cooked eggs on demand. Otherwise I would have classed the breakfast as 5-star. Again we chose to eat breakfast early since we knew there would be a rush for food at peak time due to the many coach tour groups staying there. We didn't eat in otherwise as chose to taste the icelandic fare in restaurants.
The location is slightly out of the main city blocks, but was walkable , though we chose to park the car in a free car park near the whale watching piers to enjoy the city.

Room tip: Getting a room overlooking the lobby allowed us to access the free 'lobby' internet, Though the downside was not having views of the city.
Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank FullTime_traveller9
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This was a very pleasant hotel but it is in the burps and rides into town by hotel are only for one way, odd. In the tower our room was nicely decorated and had all the ameneties, execpt you had to manually turn on your TV, no biggie. Shower is an interesting design, more adequately described by another guest below. Staff was very pleasant and helpful.

Room tip: Stay in the tower where the rooms have been renovated and not noisy.
Date of stay: July 2012