“As expected for 3 star hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Fosshotel Raudara

Fosshotel Raudara
Ranked #38 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
West Sussex, United Kingdom
“As expected for 3 star hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights. Arrived after midnight but had already e mailed and informed hotel so expected us. Reception helpful at all times but quite busy. Room basic but met all our needs. Large bed. Clean. Coffee and tea making facilities in the room ( take a glass of milk to your room fridge if you want proper milk ). Breakfast adequate, rather crowded at times but kept well stocked. Possible to walk around Reykjavik from the hotel. We hired a car, parked in the street although there was a car park. Prices per room rather than per person

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Andri K, Manager at Fosshotel Raudara, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you for the review. I´m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and had a good time in Iceland. I hope to see you again at Best Western Hotel and lokk forward to welcome you again,

Varm regards,
manager Best Western Hotel reykjavik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

The Best Western Reykjavik's concierge allowed a strange man who was not staying with us into our room, very late at night (past 4AM) while my husband and I were clearly very intoxicated. The concierge had seen us come and go together, alone, for the past half week, always at reasonable hours. That night, not only did he open the hotel's front door to let us in, he also opened our hotel room (we were too drunk to do it ourselves!) and didn't think it odd that this stranger went in with us. My husband passed out and the strange man raped me.

The hotel has security cameras. We thought they would provide evidence to help us get justice - but no, the hotel manager informed us that their security system does not work at all.

This hotel is not safe. They do not have the slightest regard for the safety of their guests. If they had, this nightmare would never have happened.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
82 Thank N G
Andri K, Manager at Fosshotel Raudara, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear N G,

We are deeply saddened by the horrific incident you experienced during your stay in Iceland. It takes true courage to reveal such a dramatic experience and it is regretful that the authorities have not apprehended the individual who committed this serious crime. Please accept my sincerest apology on the hotel‘s behalf for the fact that due to an upgrade to our security camera system there is no surveillance video available.

I can assure you that your effort to raise awareness of this incident is not for nothing. We will completely revise all our internal work processes. As of January 9th, a new and more powerful CCTV system has been installed, one that supports more cameras as well as extensive video storage.

Furthermore, I would like to apologize for not addressing this matter in a better way when it arose. I am truly sorry that our initial reaction has disappointed you. I ensure you that we will do everything we can to learn from this and prevent it from re-occurring.

Guðjón Andri Kárason

Best Western Hotel Reykjavik
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

near the eastern end of the main shopping street, this is a satisfactory if unexciting hotel. the room we had was generously proportioned, clean and tidy; the bathroom was however very cramped.
the breakfast lounge, when full or nearly full, is difficult to negotiate a way around and the staff on duty there did not seem particularly happy in their work.

The hotel does however offer reasonable value for money.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stuart q
Calgary
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

Upon arrival for my reservation, the hotel informed me that they did not have my booking. I made the reservation on www.booking.com, and they claimed they had never received the information from booking.com. It came across as "this isn't our fault, its theirs". Well, if they agree to a working partnership with them, then it is their responsibility for the situation at that time.
The quickly endeavored to put together a room for my group of 3, of which was satisfactory.
Upon checkout the next morning, I politely asked for a possible discount because of the stress and inconvenience that was caused by the error. They declined at first, stating they had met our initial rate and provided the exact room we had booked. They asked if there was anything wrong with the room, to which I said no, but I insisted they offer something, as a kind gesture for the incident. They agreed to a 10% discount.
I was a little turned off by this initial arrogance the evening before, and then during checkout. In my business, if there is an incident it is mandatory for me to offer something to my clients, regardless of outcome or situation.
- Breakfast was good and the setting was comfortable.
- Rooms were small but comfortable and maintained.
- Parking was confusing and unexplained to me. I was stuck for 10 minutes trying to exit because there was no was to open to exit door. I had to put my car in park and run into the lobby of the hotel and ask them to open it.
- Price, as with everything in Reykjavik, was not worth the value. That is just the economy in Iceland though.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Powertrip1
Bangor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

Iceland is a great place especially for out door activities your hotel should be the last thing to worry about , although when there over Easter a lot of attractions shopping etc close and you rely on a hotel with facilities , this hotel hadn't anything to keep you amused , tv channels 3 or 4 with bad reception , very slow wifi and a bar that was just the breakfast eating area , the restaurant attached was under reconstruction as I found out when I went to use the toilet and found a building site behind the door I'm assuming these where the restaurant toilets , I also tripped over a box of oranges propping a door open , I didn't bother to have any oranges at breakfast after seeing this .

Front of house Staff all very polite and friendly and happy to help ..

Rooms were clean but not maintained properly in my opinion , shower gels etc left lying on the floor ( hotel supplied items not our own ) some minor rubbish brushed over not removed .

Also the hotel was relatively central to the Main Street , but it was in my opinion the wrong side of the Main Street again , off the the Main Street was really down the road round the corner across a main road . Better location would be center hotel at the bottom of Main Street it's near bars , shops , restaurants , tourist activities and is just off the Main Street .

If and when I go back to Iceland I will not stay at best western , which is sad as I often use best western on my weekend breaks I take throughout the year ...

Room Tip: This hotels in a domestic area neighbourhood , stay at the bad , at the front you'd have the roa...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 57EVE
Bergen, Norway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

Ordered on December 24th for Easter 2014 on the basis of feedback on the hotel and it was centrally located with possibility of parking .
When we were entering the plane to Iceland , we were told that we were rebooked , as it had overbokket .
When we arrived at the hotel we found that it was our problem that we had a car with us which was central for us, as we were traveling around a lot. The hotel we were offered did not have parking , we could arrange this by paying for public parking. After much ado we got a room and would have gladly taken the option we got.

Generally some traffic noise in the room that faced the street, but it was particularly reprehensible was the lack of cleaning, debris was left on the floor , dirty glass we had to put in the middle of the floor to get new, crowded dining room most days of waiting to be seated , had to repeatedly ask to have cleared the tables before we could sit down , dirty knives and fater , cups with shards , very simple breakfast but decent enough.

Should an evening drink a bottle of wine in the room when we traveled with children , but the hotel managed not to provide a corkscrew wine bottle so we had to open with a spoon .

Adminstration it was possible to sleep there but nothing more, was not changed on the beds even though it was dirty .

Seven days was enough.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank reisende12342014
Andri K, Manager at Fosshotel Raudara, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Best regards,

Manager Best Western Hotel Reykjavik
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

We stayed here late March for a short break. Excellent reception staff, lovely breakfast and clean room with free wi-fi and fridge. Rooms a bit small but do the job.

Tip - buy fresh milk in the shop as powdered creamer provided which doesn't suit us Brits.

TV signal poor, but we were out quite a bit, so didn't matter much.

Ideally located for shops, restaurants and the local swimming pool, which was a bargain and very enjoyable.

Would recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Andri K, Manager at Fosshotel Raudara, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Helen,
Thank you very much for your kindly review. We are grateful for the praise you give our staff and we look forward to welcome you again if you decide to to travel again to Iceland.
Best regards,