“Excellent”
Review of Fosshotel Raudara

Fosshotel Raudara
Ranked #38 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Such a clean hotel with very friendly staff. Good continental breakfast. Very clean restraunt and good for a coffee or drink in the evening. Hotel staff have details of all trips available. Nothing's any problem. Excellent location only a few minutes walk to centre.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank kelly150474
Andri K, Manager at Fosshotel Raudara, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your reply.I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay. We are glad that the our hotel met your requirements.

Best regards,
Andri

There are newer reviews for Fosshotel Raudara

Reviewed March 8, 2014

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful (everyone in Iceland was!). The room was clean. The hotel is an easy 5 minute walk to the main downtown section. Harry's Restaurant next door was excellent. My wife and I enjoyed everything about our vacation in Iceland.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and hope to see you soon again.

Best regards,
Andri

Reviewed March 7, 2014

where to stay

The Best Western is great. The location is perfect; away from the main drag but close enough to walk anywhere (it's also right by a bus station). The staff is incredibly friendly, fun and helpful. The rooms are comfortable and well-kept. The included breakfast is nice and consists of a buffet of fruit, cereal, a variety of breads, cold cuts and cheeses, yogurt, juice, milk, coffee and tea. There is a good restaurant next door (Harry's), and a number of places close by.
what to do

I think the Golden Circle sights are very interesting. The geyser, waterfall and park are all wonderful to see. However, if I were to do it again, I would have rented a car for the day. The city is more drivable than any city I've been in, the cost for a car is equivalent to the cost of a guided tour for two in a large group. We read quite a bit about the sights before going so we didn't really learn anything new from the guide. The 30-ish other tourists were a tad bit trying (chomping, slurping, talking, and apparently earning royalties for whatever brand of perfume they had bathed in... please lay off the scent when in public!), and we spent too much or too little time than we would have liked at the different stops. Daylight a-plenty in January, dawn and dusk are different things than what I'm used to in the US and they last for hours. We opted for a not-oft-mentioned half-day tour and we spent about 3 hours in the bus and 3 hours at the sights.
If you are going to arrive early in the morning like we did (6:45), hang out at the airport, have a coffee, kill some time. There's a bar inside security, and a cafe outside of it. The first bus to town that stops at the Blue Lagoon doesn't leave until 9:15. It's a good way to spend time until check-in, and the BL is an interesting place, it's very pretty and nice to see but quite expensive if you want to swim.
We held off on taking a dip at the Blue Lagoon and went to one of the local pools in town (Laugardalslaug). The #14 bus took 6 minutes from Hlemmur bus station, dropped us and picked up right outside. It was about 9USD each for entrance, a towel and locker. Yes, you shower naked and then costume up; but, who cares? The locals don't blink an eye, it's very natural, and you haven't got anything that hasn't been seen before. It is fun to sit in a 40 degree pool when the air is cold. Do it.
The city welcome card is 2900 ISK (about 26USD) for 24 hours (3900 ISK for 48 hours, 4900 ISK for 72 hours). The city is so walkable, I recommend figuring out which museums you want to visit and lumping them into one day. The pass includes buses, a number of museums (with discounts to others), and the thermal pools. Hit the museums in the morning and the pool in the afternoon, you'll make out well. After that, just walk around and enjoy the street life. The observation deck at the Hallgrímskirkja (5.60 USD) is a great way to see the whole city. The famous Perlan is on a nearby low hill, we didn't go because it seemed to be pricey and not as high up as the church. The dinners are supposed to be good.
We changed only $100 when we got to town, and didn't feel the need for cash for the whole 6 days that we were there. We charged everything and it was fine. We only used cash for souvenirs and postcards, etc.
I highly recommend SuperJeeps for the Northern Lights experience. The company costs more (about 3x the buses), but it is well worth it as they have off-road vehicles and can take you to the more remote sites. They clearly know what they are doing as they exchange up-to-the-minute information with their base to learn of the best location to see the lights. It worked for us, we got to see the lights and many others didn't (a great trip to Iceland anyway, but that is the bonus!). I also recommend that you don't ingest any liquids for a few hours before your 8-8:30 pick-up, there isn't a real rest stop. I'm sure that they would have stopped, but I didn't want to be the one to interrupt the entire caravan.
what to wear

The air temperature isn't so bad, but the wind is BRACING. I wore a silk top and bottom, two thermals (top and bottom), an omni-heat shirt (Columbia-my new favorite garment!), wool sweater, jeans, a waterproof coat, woolen socks and waterproof boots. I didn't use the Gore-tex gloves that I got because you could never use your camera while wearing them. Instead, we had thin cotton gloves with HotHands hand warmers ($30 for 40 pairs on Amazon), hot for 10 hours. It's exposed skin that you need to worry about. Neck gaiters, hats with optional pull-down face masks, and water-proof pants (the latter we fortunately never needed) can all be purchased for a good price at Sierra Trading Post. That's what I wore for the Northern Lights outings. During the day you can tone it down for easy de-layering as it is hot everywhere you go inside. We saw posts about not bothering with an umbrella - not so. The two days it rained, it would have been very handy to have one. The rain isn't always sideways, just sometimes. Do have a jacket with a hood so you don't have to worry about it.
Finally, keep your schedule flexible. Things change constantly. Hope this helps, and have fun!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Janice O

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I´m glad that your had a pleasure stay in Iceland and hopefully you will visit us again in the future.

Best Regards,
Andri Kárason

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Went to Iceland to see the Northern Lights (Which I did) and choose to stay 3 nights at the Best Western as part of booking with EasyJet, and I’m glad I did. The hotel is clean and welcoming, I asked for a top floor room which I had. It was clean and warm, and yes it might be small for some people (it was a single room) it was always nice to come back to after a day out sightseeing. The room had tea/coffee, fridge, TV, clock, was warm and had plenty of towels. The cold water was crystal clear (nice & safe to drink) and the hot water was very hot (it comes straight from the ground) I had a view of the big church on the hill from the window which is well worth a visit, pay for the lift to the top for great views of Reykjavik

Breakfast was fine as mentioned by previous reviewers, and I would recommend ‘Harry’s’ restaurant next door (worth booking a table as it is small and very popular mid evening) food here was great.

From the hotel it is just a short walk to the shops/centre where you will find cloths shops, pubs, and all sorts of places to eat. Menus are in English and everyone speaks very good English anyway. If you exit the hotel turn right, short walk to the traffic lights and turn left you are there. The streets were clean and safe

There are plenty of tour trips and companies, which you can book at the hotel, bus stations, or online like I did. The Golden Circle tour was lovely, and seeing the Northern Lights made the holiday. All tour companies pick you up/drop you off outside the hotel

If you are arriving/departing the hotel by the airport bus they run either a shuttle bus which takes you to the main bus station, where you change to bus (it is clear which bus to change to and where to go. The bus driver will tell you anyway) or the main bus will pick/drop you off at the Hotel. The Hotel reception will book your airport departing bus the night before which you must do otherwise you might not get picked up in the morning!

I enjoyed my short stay in the Best Western and would stay here again

Room Tip: High floor for a little view. Rooms facing the back will be quiet as they are not facing the road (A...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Gary M
Kristbjorn G, Manager at Fosshotel Raudara, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I hope you managed to enjoy all that Iceland has to offer in the winter and hopefully you will visit us again in the future.

Kristbjörn

Reviewed March 4, 2014

This hotel had a great location...it was very clean and the staff was most helpful. The breakfast was very good. The restaurant next to hotel called "Harry's" was also very good. Gate 1 travel planned our vacation...great itinerary.
lcbowman

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Glad you were happy with your stay at our Hotel and thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Kristbjorn

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Spent three nights here in Feb. Good price for a Reykjavik hotel, I think about 100E per night (2 adults 2 kids), but some things let them down.
Main negatives were housekeeping, The sofa bed was not made up when we arrived (6pm) we asked twice about it at reception, went for dinner and returned and still not done (9pm) finally after calling again they came with duvets and pillows and sheets as we stood over them with the kids in pyjamas till they finished and we could get the kids to bed. Then in general just seeming lack of interest, eg plastic cups(of which there were only 2) not replaced with new ones after use, only given two bath towels and two hand towels between the 4 of us, beds made with open end of duvet at pillow end, small things but come on how hard is it to get that right. Also we had a strange end room with the double bed up a set spiral staircase with windows running from the lower level right up to this second level,and no curtains! Thankfully it was Feb and it didnt start to get light until after 8am but as the spring progressis I cannot imagine being able to sleep in a room without curtains! Overall hotel has a dated feel, cherrywood and gold fittings, including gold ceilings in the hallways. Has a feeling of a building converted to a hotel in the 90's and pretty much nothing has been done to it since, sofa bed felt like it dated from then too with a strong roll to centre feel.
Breakfast was fine, no hot options other than toast, but a broad enough choice and a big plus if you are leaving early they will put out a breakfast for you before official start (in our case 5.30am).
Very helpful staff, rarely ask questions ourselves but was in reception printing off boarding passes (free service) and heard staff giving many tourists advice on what to do where to go in city.
Parking is in multilevel behind the hotel, give them a nod and they will open the gate. Its a bit of a trek into down town but if you walk about 3 blocks you are at the very end of the main shopping street with lots of shops bars restaurants etc along the way, so its ok to do once or twice just to see whats there, otherwise its a good 20 mins walk.
Overall an average, somewhat dated hotel, but after seeing some Icelandic hotels, most are average, and it has a few plusses (boarding card print off, early breakfast) that make it a good choice.

Room Tip: Frontage is onto a quiet enough road, backs onto a private square, but dont think noise is an issue...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time review your recent stay at our property.

I must apologise for the fact that the sofa bed was not made up when you arrived but what bothers me more is that it was not taken care of straight away when you arrived. Mistakes can always happen but nothing excuses the fact this was not taken care of the minute this mistake was discovered - so again I apologise for that on behalf of Best Western Hotel Reykjavik.

Good news for travellers who will stay in this room in the spring. Measures are being made to cover the window, but as you rightly point out it will get problematic to sleep as it is right now in the spring and summer.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and hope you did enjoy your stay in Iceland.

Kristbjörn

Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

My stay here was wonderful. The hotel is minutes from Laugavegur and other attractions and the staff are simply outstanding- I've never encountered people so helpful and accommodating. The beds are comfortable, room and shower are warm and clean. I would definitely choose this hotel again and I highly recommend it!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for submitting this excellent feedback on your stay at Best Western Hotel Reykjavik.

Always glad when our guests are happy with the staff and I will make sure they read your very complimentary words.

Hope you come again in the future

Kristbjorn