“The culinary highlight of Iceland”
Review of Skolabru

Skolabru
Ranked #85 of 494 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian, Central European, International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Enjoy distinctly Icelandic food based on our Icelandic cultural heritage and local culinary traditions. We offer also a wide variety of dishes from the international scene of fine dining. - Our Icelandic lamb together with our seafood dishes are among the things people like the most.
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I waited over a year to write this review thanks to Google Earth and my memory I'm finally able to describe to you why this restaurant was the culinary highlight of our stay in Reykjavik. My wife and I spent 4 days in Reykjavik in the summer of 2011 prior to our trip to Europe and loved it so much we plan to return someday. However, it must be mentioned that the food in Iceland is very expensive compared to most of Europe for obvious reasons. With that said there lies the beauty of the Skolabru, its reasonably priced in comparison to other restaurants we dined in during our stay. The ambiance of the century old house has such a warmth to it you felt as if you were home for the holidays. The service was good during our experience and the young lady who waited on us was cheerful and very helpful when navigating through some of the 'unique' menu items. Considering some of the native Icelandic cuisines I thought I would be in for challenge. The thought of a cute little puffin lying on a plate unnerved me a bit. However this was not the case when we ordered the special Taste of Iceland 4 course meal. Starting with a lobster soup followed by a wild-goose carpaccio and a superbly cooked dish of rack of lamb. This was a meal that I suspect would appeal to both native and visitor alike. Oh and for dessert the Skyr with wild berries! fantastic! In closing, I am thinking just how unfortunate it was that we happened to stumble on this culinary gem on our last night in Iceland because we would have returned the next evening! Once is not enough! As I think back on our visit to Iceland and the great memories of a wildly exotic place with warm and friendly people we hope to return again. However, this time I'd love to see an Icelandic winter complete with the aurora and a fine dinner at a warm and hospital location like the Skolabru.

There are newer reviews for Skolabru

Reviewed November 19, 2012

My Mum and I stumbled across this restaurant after wandering the streets looking for a restaurant that served local food at more reasonable prices than most other options. This building was a quaint traditional corregated iron house and the decor inside was pleasant and welcoming. We were the only diners, which did concern us at first, but we were greeted by a lovely waitress, who although her English wasn't fantastic, it was a great deal better than our Icelandic and she was very pleasant. The service we received was wonderful and the food was even better. We both tried an Icelandic tappas starter which enabled us to try some national foods such as lamb, salted cod, goose, languistine and even whale. Our mains were equally delicious and the presentation couldn't be faulted. We would definitely go back if we were to visit Reykjavik again. It was the best cuisine of our trip..

Reviewed October 31, 2012

my husband and i visited this restaurant on Sunday 28th October after our tour guide pointed it out and recommended it for a meal. We were greeted,if that, by a waitress who didn't even welcome us or greet us, showing us to our table with no enthusiasm at all. She was unable to tell us what the fish of the day was as i felt she could not be bothered which is a real shame as the food we ordered was excellent and a credit to the chef. we were not offered pudding so we left paying the bill but wanted to leave a tip but only for the chef not the useless waitress. a real shame for this restaurant which must have excellent chefs but bad 'front of house.'

1  Thank clare_e_day
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We had an excellent meal at this restaurant ........ At such a reasonable price given the quality of the offer. We discovered restaurant one evening whilst walking around Reykjavik and were intrigued by the fact that within the same building ( In the basement, accessed through a separate door ) is an Indian Restaurant called Gandhi which is also very good.

I would certainly return to either of these restaurants when we return to Reykjavik ........... Or you could do as we did and visit them on consecutive evenings.

2  Thank Brian024
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Ate here twice,first a set 4 course menu for 6900IKR,second a la carte.Both meals excellent and the fish-mixed fish au gratin and catfish-were delicious.The room is stylish with plenty of space between tables and the service good and unobtrusive.
All makes for a special meal out at a reasonable price

1  Thank lindaken152