“Gets my best recommendation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Scandinavian

Scandinavian
Ranked #81 of 462 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian, Seafood, Soups, Norwegian, International
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We welcome you to Scandinavian restaurant and bar, conveniently located downtown Reykjavik on Laugavegur 22a. Scandinavian offers a variety of dishes in a cozy atmosphere. Our emphasis is on Icelandic and Nordic cuisine as well as selected specialties from continental Europe. All our dishes are prepared using only the best Icelandic ingredients, usually organically grown. We hope you have a pleasant time with us and enjoy our food in our charming setting. A diverse menu at very reasonable prices. Every day, new courses are offered at a special low price.
Copenhagen, Denmark
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gets my best recommendation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

Me and my boyfriend went on a week trip to Iceland last august, and landed in Reykjavik late on wednesday evening. We stayed near Scandinavian and had heard good about the place and so we decided to go there. We were starving and sincerely hoped that we would not be disappointed. And we definitely didn´t! I ordered myself a Seafood soup for a starter and my boyfriend got the deep fried camenbert. Both were excellent and we had to share! At this point we knew that we wouldn´t be disappointed with our main course. I got the Lobster tails and my boyfriend ordered the 300 gr beef tenderloin. We left so satisfied! The atmosphere was homie and cosy and the service was outstanding and personal. You felt so welcome. We went there 4 times again in our trip.

In short words: Great food for reasonable price, excellent service and a nice atmosphere. We will definitely visit Scandinavian again!

1 Thank Gitte O

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Good Choice for a Quick Nosh”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

We stopped in because it had a Scandinavian-brasserie feel, and we wanted a light bite in the middle of the afternoon on our first day. This was perfect! We ordered espressos (to help us fight the jet lag) and the fried camembert; both were delicious. The camembert came with a sweet-chili jam and spinach salad with lingonberries. The atmosphere is cozy in a Scandinavian modern style and some of the clientele were the hipper folks we've seen on the street; and the service was very helpful and attentive. We did notice that the full entrees were a bit pricey for what they were offering (we saw a pasta dish that translated to US$20+), but the experience we had was just right for the moment for us!

• Visited October 2011
London, United Kingdom
“Quality cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

I stumbled upon this place by accident and was glad I did. The food is excellent, (especially their house special the creamy fish soup) and the place has a classy feel about it, but the prices are not sky high. See http://en.scandinavian.is/

reykjavik
“Fantastic! Warm and cozy! Fantastic food-my best í Reykjavik”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

Finally I went with my friends to there favourite restaurant in Reykjavik; Scandinavian (not skandinavian) They are steady customers over there and now I know why !
I took fish salad as a startet (fres salad with tiger prawns, smoked salmon, and fried plaice yammy, The main course was BEST lobster tails that I ever had !, with must wonderful chardonnay from Torres! Excellent !!!!!!! They have a selection of very good wines and also the best beer on draft that I have had in Rekjavik,Icelandic: Skjalfti and the german one: Kroneberg. (my friend are hooked on those) After these 2 courses I was totally full. The dishes are well prepaired and I can feel that there is a good thinking from the owners: You dont leave from us hungry ! I saw both local people and many guest from other contries. For ex, Canandian couple sitting next to me. They were there for the 4th time ! Do I have to say more??? Scandinavian will have my best reccomenation , ever ! I will be back - maybe tomorrow with my family . Thanks Jon and all the best to all your staff !

Ottawa, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic! A must-try for authentic local cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

If you are interested in tasting authentic local cuisine -which also tastes fantastic- I would highly recommend this restaurant.

As an avid fan of clam chowders, I tried the fish soup and was blown away; it might just be one of the best things I have ever had. It was rich with lots flavour and complexity, not to mention generous portions of langoustine.

The other must-try, is Icelandic smoked trout (smoked the traditional way), or if you are lucky enough to be there during the seafood festival, the langoustine!

Be sure to ask for the locally brewed beers - delicious and very fragrant!

• Visited June 2011