“Some rooms don't have opening windows”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Klettur

Hotel Klettur
Ranked #30 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Lealholm, United Kingdom
“Some rooms don't have opening windows”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

If you need fresh air (no air con) - beware! Some rooms on 2nd to 4th floor do not have opening windows! Not only that we booked a superior room but were given a standard. We were none the wiser on our first night when we arrived tired but worked it out later on. We were moved but got little apology. The superior rooms are very nice though. Very clean and comfortable with a decent breakfast.

Room Tip: If you need an open window, you must ask for that at the time of booking.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Having been to Iceland before I had found the quality of hotels not up to other country standards for the price. We booked this hotel as part of an Iceland air package break. It's not right in the centre of the city, but only about 10 minutes walk to the downtown area. The hotel itself was very quiet and well insulated against the weather without being stuffy. We had two rooms next door to each other. Our rooms was very spacious with a good sized bathroom but our friends next door had a much smaller room with a column in the middle, which was a bit odd. The reception staff were really nice and very helpful. The bar has a happy hour, which only included half a pint of lager on buy one get one free, so this did not make us very happy. The breakfast, which was included in our package was very good and well stocked. All in all an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kerry F
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is a bog standard business type hotel. We used it as part of a trip booked through Discover the World and wouldn't have chosen it. The rooms were small, but clean and comfortable. There are no frills, but free wifi is available in the bar. Downside is that it's next to a massive building site and is favoured by massive coach parties. Breakfast was a total scrum and the hotel don't seem to have enough seats/plates/cups to accommodate all of it's guests. Plus side - it's about ten minutes walk into the heart of the city and there was no building work the weekend we were there. So, although it's unsightly, it was quiet.

Room Tip: If you want a good night's sleep pick another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Geir G, Director of Sales at Hotel Klettur, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Callymatt

I am sorry to hear the you did not like our hotel. Like all other hotels we do get groups staying at the hotel but this is not often and the groups are not very large usually. Regarding breakfast then I am sorry that it was not up to your standards and I can assure you that I will look into why there were not enough plates or cups. Regarding the seats than it can happen that majority of the guests are leaving at the same time and then there might not be enough seats. This happens very rarely at Hotel Klettur since we have a high number of guest travelling on their own.

Regarding the building site then I think this is a part of living in a growing city such as Reykjavík. We do not have any control over constructions in our neighborhood but we have a good understanding with the contractors and they aim to keep construction noise down and usually do not work after 17.00 or during the weekend.

I hope you had a good stay in Iceland.

Best regards,
Geir G
Jyvaskyla, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed for two nights in July on my way home after spending some time in eastern Iceland. When arriving at the hotel they didn't find my booking at first, eventually it turned out that they had made a mistake and my booking was for December. They were very friendly and apologized and said that it was their mistake, fair enough. There was one vacant room (I believe it was better than then one I had booked) so it turned out OK. However, what if the hotel had been full? I see from other reviews that this has happened to other people as well.

The room was spacious and clean and very comfortable, Had a nice view. The noise from the construction site didn't bother me at all but I suppose if you wanted to sleep in, it might be a problem.

Some people say in the reviews that you need to take a taxi to get into the center. I disagree but I suppose if you're really out of shape the 10 minute walk might be too much. For me the location was OK.

The breakfast was OK and it was very nice that you were able to have breakfast even at 4 am (I had a very early flight). I was expecting to see skyr on the breakfast menu but unfortunately there was none. The vegetables weren't too fresh.

This is nothing to do with the hotel really, but I had booked a ticket to the Fly Bus (Reykjavik Excursions) to the airport with the help of the hotel. They forgot to pick me up and I was in real hurry catching my flight. The person in the reception was extremely helpful and phoned the company twice and eventually they came to pick me up.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Anna12348
Mexico City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

We booked through Discover the world. I would have liked a hotel with more personality. It is really clean and comfortable but it is not cozy at all. Location is not that great as you need a taxi to the city center and the surrounding area is under construction.
Staff is very helpful.
There is no wifi in the rooms.
Overall it is very clean, comfortable and convenient.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Travelled to Iceland once again with Discover the World. Had a 2 day stay either end of the holiday in Reykjavik and was booked at Hotel Klettur. Was told in advance of the building work next door, but was assured was Mon-Fri and finished at 5pm. Don't believe it! Fairly constant pounding drilling to remove heavy rock until 7pm and also Saturday. In fairness, as we spent so much time away from the hotel, it didn't bother us unduly, but a staff member told me that many guests had complained. Another problem was that on the return from Northern Iceland for our 2nd stay of 2 days, we had not been booked in for a room on the first night! This was eventually sorted out with us being allocated the ONLY remaining room in the whole hotel, a superior room, which was nice, but just what they would have done if there hadn't been a spare room I'm not sure, as Reykjavik was pretty much full due to peak season. Check your bookings! Staff very pleasant and helpful. Rooms very nice and clean. Breakfast the usual fare. A good basic hotel, but check your booking!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Food_Lover186317
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

We didnt book this hote, it was suppose to be Hotel Cabin. We had booked 2 twin standard rooms for 3 adults. When I was checking into Hotel Cabin, I asked if there were bigger rooms and was willing to pay for an upgrade. The reception lady told me that there were fully booked and that the rooms they had for us was internal windown facing. Basically the windows were facing the corridor. Anyway she offered us Hotel Klettur and said the rooms were bigger. Hotel Cabin paid for a taxi over to Klettur and whisks me and my parents within mins of me saying 'Yes, OK'!

This hotel is very close to downtown, around 8 mins walking. The location of the hotel is amongst a building site, as next door was building and opposite had some guesthouse and old office/warehouse type of building. I expect this area will be pretty well built up and bustling in a few years time. For now, its nice and quiet and tucked away just off the main roads towards downtown.

The reception was small but business like. Two lifts available and the restaurant for breakfast was downstairs (1st floor). Our rooms were massive. It's the biggest rooms I ever stayed in, in Europe side of the world. We had a room on the 5th and 6th floor.i think these were deluxe rooms. Room on the 5th floor had two single beds, plenty of space and a bathroom with shower, toilet and sink. I stayed on the 6th floor and it had 2 double beds, plenty of space, 32 inch TV and bathroom. There were kettle for tea and coffee and fridge. Bathroom has toiletries like shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, soap and hairdryer. It was well equipped.

The stay included breakfast and was was a nice selection, with eggs, ham, cheeses and plenty of bread and hot and cold drinks. It was a continential breakfast but it was decent enough.

I had to change all the tour pickups to this hotel and the reception guy helped me here. Not a problem with the tour pickups. At the end of one of the tours, the coach came right up to our hotel to let us off. So no problem with drop offs either.

if you are too tired, then there is a supermarket within 3 mins walk from the hotel which is open till 11pm. There is a pizza take away the other direction and also within 3 mins from hotel.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, especially if my husband and I come next time, as its so close to downtown and ideal to venture around downtown.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family