“Beware! Building site noise next door! .. and check your bookings!”
Review of Hotel Klettur

Hotel Klettur
Ranked #31 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Beware! Building site noise next door! .. and check your bookings!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Travelled to Iceland once again with Discover the World. Had a 2 day stay either end of the holiday in Reykjavik and was booked at Hotel Klettur. Was told in advance of the building work next door, but was assured was Mon-Fri and finished at 5pm. Don't believe it! Fairly constant pounding drilling to remove heavy rock until 7pm and also Saturday. In fairness, as we spent so much time away from the hotel, it didn't bother us unduly, but a staff member told me that many guests had complained. Another problem was that on the return from Northern Iceland for our 2nd stay of 2 days, we had not been booked in for a room on the first night! This was eventually sorted out with us being allocated the ONLY remaining room in the whole hotel, a superior room, which was nice, but just what they would have done if there hadn't been a spare room I'm not sure, as Reykjavik was pretty much full due to peak season. Check your bookings! Staff very pleasant and helpful. Rooms very nice and clean. Breakfast the usual fare. A good basic hotel, but check your booking!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Food_Lover186317

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
London
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We didnt book this hote, it was suppose to be Hotel Cabin. We had booked 2 twin standard rooms for 3 adults. When I was checking into Hotel Cabin, I asked if there were bigger rooms and was willing to pay for an upgrade. The reception lady told me that there were fully booked and that the rooms they had for us was internal windown facing. Basically the windows were facing the corridor. Anyway she offered us Hotel Klettur and said the rooms were bigger. Hotel Cabin paid for a taxi over to Klettur and whisks me and my parents within mins of me saying 'Yes, OK'!

This hotel is very close to downtown, around 8 mins walking. The location of the hotel is amongst a building site, as next door was building and opposite had some guesthouse and old office/warehouse type of building. I expect this area will be pretty well built up and bustling in a few years time. For now, its nice and quiet and tucked away just off the main roads towards downtown.

The reception was small but business like. Two lifts available and the restaurant for breakfast was downstairs (1st floor). Our rooms were massive. It's the biggest rooms I ever stayed in, in Europe side of the world. We had a room on the 5th and 6th floor.i think these were deluxe rooms. Room on the 5th floor had two single beds, plenty of space and a bathroom with shower, toilet and sink. I stayed on the 6th floor and it had 2 double beds, plenty of space, 32 inch TV and bathroom. There were kettle for tea and coffee and fridge. Bathroom has toiletries like shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, soap and hairdryer. It was well equipped.

The stay included breakfast and was was a nice selection, with eggs, ham, cheeses and plenty of bread and hot and cold drinks. It was a continential breakfast but it was decent enough.

I had to change all the tour pickups to this hotel and the reception guy helped me here. Not a problem with the tour pickups. At the end of one of the tours, the coach came right up to our hotel to let us off. So no problem with drop offs either.

if you are too tired, then there is a supermarket within 3 mins walk from the hotel which is open till 11pm. There is a pizza take away the other direction and also within 3 mins from hotel.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, especially if my husband and I come next time, as its so close to downtown and ideal to venture around downtown.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank EllyLam
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here in March as part of the deal in the Iceland Air website (amazing value so maybe look there if you haven't yet booked anything) and we really liked it.

The room and all areas of the hotel were immaculately clean and by chance it seems we got upgraded to one of the superior rooms on the top floor - this was really great as it meant the room was bigger; especially the bathroom which had a really nice walk in shower - really great for warming up!

The breakfast was included and truthfully was a bit of a mixture of things but they had cereal and toast with fruit so from my perspective I always found something really nice.

It was about five minutes walk to the centre which was perfect as it was easily accessible but nice and quiet at night.

Overall would definitely recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I can not actually review the hotel as i did not actually stay there. After arriving at KEF on the midnight flight from JFK we drove the hour to Reykjavik only to be be told that despite having prepaid for three nights and emailed a confirmation note the day before there were no rooms. The night manager said that the needed the room to accommodate a German group. He then gave me directions to the Grand Hotel where we got bumped to saying it was a nicer hotel - so it was a win win. I understand business - but my problem was that my day before email went unanswered. I should have been made aware of the issue before my 1:00AM arrival with a tired child.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Helmut B
Geir G, General Manager at Hotel Klettur, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Helmut B

I am sorry to hear that you were relocated to another hotel. This is very unfortunate but this happens very rarely. When it happens we always try to let the guest know before and we relocate to a higher class hotel such as Grand Hotel. I am sorry to hear that you were not notified and we will look into what went wrong.

Hope that this didn´t affect your stay in Iceland and that you had a good time.

Best regards,
Geir G
munich
Reviewed July 2, 2013

first: they gave us a room directly at the lift - I argued with the receptionist to get another room
second: there is significant excavation and construction work going on behind and on one side of the hotel, means you can hardly stay in the room betwenn 8am and 7pm

Room Tip: avoid the rooms around the lift
Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MeinMuc
Geir G, Director of Sales at Hotel Klettur, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear MeinMuc

Thank you for your review and for your stay. I am sorry to hear that the receptionist was not able to get you another room.

Regarding the construction work that is being done next to the hotel then we are sorry if it has disturbed you. They are building an apartment building next to our hotel and they have been drilling in the rocks in the ground in june. That drilling is now over so it is now much less noise. This is a part of staying in a growing city such as Reykjavík but we try our best to talk to the contractors so they will not disturb the guests and therefor most of the work is being done while most of our guests are out on trips or exploring the city.

I hope you had a good trip and hope to see you in Iceland again.

Best regards,
Geir G
Alfreton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

just returned from 4 Nights in Iceland -the Klettur is a typical Scandinavian Hotel- nice and bright -very clean- nice bar (which not many used)- breakfast is continental -good choice -but to the Brits dont expect a full English- very near to the City Centre -there is building work going on next to the Hotel but they dont start till 8 am- which by that time most are up anyway to go on tours etc- the staff are very helpful in anything you ask them - i would recommend this hotel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Graham C
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I don;t think there is anything else to say. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Klettur, and would recommend it. From the moment we entered the door, we felt welcome and at home. There was a minor issue with the broadband which was handled with patience and humour.

Room Tip: We were more than happy with our room on the 3rd floor overlooking a quiet road.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple