“Good but more expensive than other places”
Review of Sandholt Reykjavik

Sandholt Reykjavik
Ranked #4 of 14 Bakeries in Reykjavik
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: We are a family run bakery and eatery in downtown Reykjavik. You can drop by from 6:30 every morning and enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Reviewed November 20, 2013

My wife and I dropped in to sample some baked goods, and they were quite good. I would choose some other bakeries outside the tourist trap for a slightly better price and a similar product. There are some things you can get here that we did not see elsewhere, but nothing that special. Overall the staff was great and the food was scrumptious. You pay for the convenience of not having to stray off the main drag.

1  Thank magicofeet
Write a ReviewReviews (1,539)

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We went in search of breakfast at 9:00 am in old Reykjavik on a Saturday morning. Well that was a mistake (should have ate at our hotel) as there is very little open at that time day. The restaurant we hope to have breakfast did not open until after 10.

Fortunately after walking around and asking some locals, we found this bakery open. They were just putting out freshly made sandwiches which included lamb and lots of veggies. We sat in the back and enjoyed our meal as well as watching patrons pile in for fresh bread and other menu items. Upon leaving we picked up some heavenly rolls for the next days breakfast in our hotel as we would be on the road by 8:30….A great find

1  Thank Vini_B_53
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This was my favorite bakery in Reykjavik - we visited twice! It's quite small and narrow on the inside, making it difficult to find a place to sit when there are several others of the same mindset. But the baked goods beckon from the long display case and make you WANT to wait.

The young staff is friendly and patient, and if you plan to dine in, you order at the counter and they bring the food and drinks to you. The drinks are typical: hot chocolate, mochas, coffees. But the standouts are the bakery items: breads, pastries, desserts, oh my! They even had Skyr, which we ate as a dessert after consuming a delightfully light yet satisfying salmon sandwich. We also bought a number of pastries to-go, and it was sad when we reached the bottom of our paper bag. None of it is overwhelmingly rich or sweet - somehow Sandholt has found the right balance in all the food we tried.

The staff picks up after you, and on a busy day there were multiple tables that needed wiping. But they try to hustle. The atmosphere is very comfortable and I noticed several patrons who spent well over an hour just hanging out, chit-chatting or reading. The back of the restaurant has the fascinating ovens as well as photos of the place when it was first opened back in the day. Conveniently located and pretty much within walking distance of everything interesting.

So glad we tried it. And came back, which is saying something since we were only in Reykjavik for 3 full days AND had already paid for hotel breakfasts.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Walking along the street I came on this bakery that also served sandwiches and snacks - it has a wonderful display of chocolates and pastry items - but above all they have some lovely breads and rolls - I took away one of the olive and tomato breads - a large well fired loaf - for onward transportation to Ireland - well three mornings of heavenly Breakfasts - Go buy and take home and enjoy.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I had the best coffee ever!! And the sandwich I had was delicious . The staff was very friendly and service was great. Great cafe! I highly recommend it!