“Great Service, good food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Grand Restaurant
Ranked #180 of 455 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: European, International, Scandinavian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Reykjavík, Gullbringusysla, Iceland
“Great Service, good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

Great Service, good food in a good atmosphere. I enjoyed the atmosphere and I appreciated the staff which was really friendly.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
Munich, Germany
“A very good meal indeed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

Luckily my experience of this place was much better than the previous reviewer's. The restaurant was fairly busy on a Saturday night, including one table with a large group, but we never had any reason to feel neglected. Two waiters looked after us really well, we didn't have any long waits, they were exceedingly friendly and the food was great too. Lobster soup as a starter, cod as a main and a trio of panne cotte to round it off...all cooked to a very high standard with quality ingredients. I'm sure there are cheaper places to eat in Reykjavík, but I had absolutely no reason to complain.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank food4thought4food
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Almost no service ...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

My wife and I entertained nine guests at the Brasserie Grand on Thursday 04 August. This was the first time I had eaten there since the days when this hotel was a Holiday Inn, back in the late 1980s, and when the restaurant had an excellent reputation.

At 19:50, as we took our seats at our reserved table everything looked promising; several waiters were in attendance, and the table was set with classic silver service – white tablecloth and napkins, and a full set of cutlery and wine and water glasses. I requested the wine list, and menus were distributed. I order a Sancerre and the house red, which were duly offered and poured.

It was then that the disappointments began.

The waiters melted into the background. Finally, we were able to order. Some guests chose a starter, others a main course only. After some time, an amuse bouche was presented to everyone. A little thought would have caused the waiter to enquire of the two guests who had ordered vegetarian starters and mains whether they were able to eat fish; in the event these two amuse bouche were returned, and vegetarian versions substituted. We then awaited the starters; wine glasses were emptied and, failing to locate a waiter, I reached for the nearby bottles and passed them around the table.

A waiter appeared with the starters and I requested further bottles of wine and attention to my guests‘ requirements. Some time after finishing the starters a waiter reappeared and cleared the plates. After a few minutes I again found it necessary to pass the wine bottles around the table.

And we waited.

And waited. Until well after 21:30

Finally a waiter appeared with the main courses. My daughter had by then reached the limit of her patience, stood up and informed the waiter of his shortcomings in no uncertain terms. Wine was served and another bottle was opened.

Again we waited for plate clearance. I offered desserts but no-one felt able to endure another potentially long wait. I called for the bill, paid and told the waiter of my deep unhappiness. He advised me that they were overloaded with a large private party in the adjacent restaurant extension. I responded to the effect that was of absolutely no concern to me.

Oh, and the food? Not bad – edible, fairly standard and not particualrly imaginative, but ruined by the long pauses and lack of service.

• Visited August 2011