Ways to Experience Discover Iceland
More Info
from $1,142.40
More Info
1,217 results
All reviews off road super jeep northern lights tour golden circle south coast private tour minibus tour driving skills first night weather conditions great guide hot chocolate his knowledge memorable trip these guys beautiful country driver guide
Reviewed October 24, 2016

First trip to Iceland, I booked two tours with this company. We had the same guide for both of them, and you could tell that Iceland was his passion. He referred to the guide job as his "dream job" and you could tell he was excited to share bits about his home with us.

Like I said in the title, these guys are pros. All the confirmations are clear. They picked us up exactly when they said they would. The autos were immaculate. I had to cancel a third tour and they refunded me before I could ask.

2  Thank Byron R
Reviewed October 24, 2016

Amazing day with Flosi, our driver/guide from Discover Iceland. We were picked up at our hotel on time and after what felt like a quick drive on the ring road we turned off onto the F road that took us towards the heart of Thorsmork. After more than dozen of stream and river crossings in the massive super jeep (Nissan Patrol actually) we first reached a glacier terminus where we walked around a bit, then continued towards the main Thorsmork trailhead. We had about 45 mins to hike a little loop that took us up to an amazing viewpoint overlooking the whole valley. On the way back Flosi took us to a few canyons with waterfalls. Overall an excellent trip and big thanks to Discover Iceland for running the tour with just two customers in the car that fits six.

1  Thank František B
Reviewed October 23, 2016 via mobile

Amazing. That one word just sums it up. Yes, it is expensive to book a super jeep day tour but, honestly, it really is worth the money. I wouldn't hesitate to book this tour again if I had my time over. Best day of the whole Iceland trip by far.

Hawk the Beard was our guide - and we can't recommend him highly enough. He was fun, easy going and so knowledgeable about his country, telling us not just about the places we visited and drove past but also some of the history of Iceland.

If you want to see the Golden Circle without being ferried around in a large tour group, be in awe of a stunning mountain range and Glacier, drive through rivers and about 150 degrees up a hill (!) and have secret stops along the way to places other people don't go - this is the tour for you!

Excellent and highly recommended. Thank you Hawk!

3  Thank Jade B
Reviewed October 21, 2016

Had a lovely day touring the Golden Circle with Arnar and two other couples in the super jeep. Definitely add on the snowmobile option, we did the shared rider option and each of us had a turn for about 20 minutes each. While you can do the Golden Circle in a rental by yourself there's something to be said about going with someone who knows all the best stops (also someone who will drop you off and pick you up nearby so you can cover move ground in less time). Also the off road experience (including driving on the glacier) was pretty awesome and nothing we would have done by ourselves. Our guide was very friendly and ready to adapt the trip to how the group was feeling. He really seemed to enjoy his job and had so much to tell us about Iceland. Didn't see any Northern Lights on our tour (activity level was 2 and it was cloudy) but the guide was friendly enough and I enjoyed his company (and the cocoa and cookies).

3  Thank Rachel S
Reviewed October 21, 2016 via mobile

I am heading back home after a week here in beautiful Iceland, and I'm so glad I chose Discover Iceland. Is it cheap? No. But you get what you pay for and more.

We did the Golden Circle Glacier tour with our very own Viking, Gummi, and it was awesome. Joining us was a couple from NY, and Gummi was very patient with the 4 loud Americans, as well as remarkably knowledgeable about Icelandic history, and a great storyteller. All the usual sights were as wonderful as I imagined, but the true highlight was driving up and onto a glacier. These jeeps give you an experience like nothing else can? Driving through rivers (or "Icelandic car wash")? Check. Drinking water straight off a glacier? Check. I mean, I thought we were going to tip over or crash at some point, but after about 5 minutes, it was obvious Gummi was a pro and we were in totally safe hands. A total bucket list day.

Our initial Northern Lights tour was cancelled the first night, but the next night, with Husky leading us, we found them. And they were brilliant. On top of that, Husky and a friend of his with another group, helped my mom (a novice photographer) with her camera settings, so she went from frustrated to getting some amazing shots she will always be grateful for. As a bonus, we were provided with hot cocoa and cookies, and then an off-roaring adventure through some insane fog. And again, I am convinced that these guys could drive with their eyes closed through terrain that would terrify anyone else. Nerves of steel.

Our last tour was the South Coast, again with Gummi. Unfortunately, the weather was a bit treacherous (thanks Hurricane Nicole), but Gummi and the jeep made it an adventure from inside. This time, we drove up and onto a volcano, which is a little mind-blowing when you really think about it. Since it was rainy and windy, Gummi suggested checking out a short film at the Eyjafjallajökull visitor center, which showed the story of a farm dealing with the eruption back in 2010. Then as we were coming back, in driving rain and fog, while buses were weaving all over the road, we felt safe and sound in our monster truck.

Overall, I can't say enough good things about Discover Iceland. I picked them based on their amazing reviews, and they lived up to them. Great people, great adventures, and I hope to make it back and travel with them again someday.

Takk!