Tripadvisor
Reykjavik
Post
Inbox
Search

“Cost and friendly staff. ”
Review of Cafe Babalu

Cafe Babalu
Ranked #16 of 84 Quick Bites in Reykjavik
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Cost and friendly staff.

The coffee was good but the food was mediocre and over priced - see pic of menu for price increases.

Would return for coffee but avoid sandwiches!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (1,583)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

From the friendly wait staff at the register, to our food and drinks, we very much enjoyed ourselves. We got the house coffee with a vanilla latte, Skyr cake and chocolate banana crepe. Everything was so good with the exception of the crepe. It was luke warm at best. If/when we go back, I’ll just order double of the Skyr cake, that was so tasty. If you have the use the restroom, it’s decorated Star Wars theme. Just made me crack up.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Really liked cafe babalu. Even though in one of the main streets of Reykjavik, it had a cosy, friendly feel. The tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich was good. But the best thing was the skyr cheesecake of course!! Reasonably priced (for Iceland)

Reviewed January 13, 2020

I went to this cafe after my wife and I had gone to Reykajavik Roasters for three days in a row and wanted to try something new. We ordered two cappuccinos and a chocolate chip cookie. The ordering process was shambolic to say the least with it taking 15min to process the 4 orders in front of me.
I'll admit I am a little fussy when it comes to how I like my coffee however both my wifes and my cappuccinos were undrinkable. Given this was my first coffee for the day and it was almost 11am this is saying something as I would have normally injected coffee into my system by any means necessary by this point.
The cookie was slightly better but still doughy and we didn't finish it in the end. The other food offerings did not look appetizing either unless you like a side of crips with your crepe. All in all it was a highly disappointing as it had come so highly recommended.

Reviewed January 12, 2020

Great quirky little cafe. Caters to all diets. Service very quick and staff at the till were very friendly. Had the chocolate cake which was fantastic. Well worth a stop.