Small Group Glacier Experience from Solheimajokull Glacier

Book in advance
from
$90.73
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Arctic Adventures
from $90.73
from $157.97
from $117.41
from $92.86
9,306 results
All reviews glacier hike blue ice tour golden circle day tour northern lights ice climbing dry suit south coast silfra fissure the bus lava tube super jeep small group hiking boots tectonic plates diamond beach the black sand beach
Selected filters
Reviewed February 13, 2017 via mobile

Omg what a day first paliment lake . Ok not so hot . Then on to hot spings and geysirs . Getting better . On to spectacular waterfalls . Great . But then 50 mins in what i can only describe as serious army trucks traversing up a white wonderland to the glacier for snow mobiles . Wow wow wow wgat agreat way to travel over snow 50 km per hour first my wife drove and never have i clung on for my life . Ice found out she us a bigger speed freak than me . You get about an hour on rhe glacier. And please believe the guys at artic adventures are THE best . They were everywhere looking after you . Never once did you feel unsafe . Please go . And when you do go with these guys .if i say this experience was the best thing in iceland . Even topping the blue lagoon and the northern lights

1  Thank tigerstar57
Ragnheidur H, Director of Social Media at Arctic Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2017

Dear tigerstar57,

we are very happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience exploring the golden circle and glacier snowmobile tour. It is important for us that all the customers feel safe during the excursion.

Thank you for your enthusiastic review!

Best regards
Jamie

Reviewed February 13, 2017

My partner and I recently got back from Iceland attended 2 tours hosted by Extreme Iceland.

I can say that they were the best guided tours I have ever been on in my life.

The tour guides on both days were very knowledgeable. The sights were absolutely amazing.

I can not recommend these tours enough. We were also scheduled to attend the Magical Aurora tour on the 10 Feb 2017, however this was cancelled due to the extreme overcast day.

This part of the tour was then refunded within 48 hours from the operator.

The Golden Circle is the perfect tour to see many of the main sights within driving distance to Reykjavik all in one day. The Sensational Iceland tour included Glacier hiking which is a once in a life time opportunity.

Reviewed February 13, 2017

Fabulous 3 days tour to see amazing waterfalls, iceberg lagoon, geysers, crystal cave, glacier hiking, black sand beach and much more.....oh and the Northern Lights showed up - thanks! Superb from beginning to end, loved it all. Our Guide was amazing, felt safe even in a snow storm but he clearly had enough experience to cope with all weathers, very knowledgeable and want to share his experiences of the great outdoors with us. Great trip from beginning to end!

Date of experience: January 2017
Reviewed February 12, 2017

First off i want to say my guide Dave did a GREAT job. Due to weather and things beyond control of Extreme Iceland we missed out on the Ice Caving and Glacier Hike.I received a credit for $371 for the missed portion of the tour. Iceland is a beautiful country i hope to get back soon.

1  Thank Brian H
Reviewed February 12, 2017

BLUE ICE GLACIER HIKE

Let me start by saying I am NOT outdoorsy and do NOT like the cold, but somehow I found myself hiking a glacier in January on a solo trip to Iceland and it was one of my favorite experiences. I almost didn't book this tour, but my friend who visited Iceland a few months before me recommended it and I couldn't be happier that she did. This was a full day trip and Arctic Adventures picks you up right at your hotel if you're staying in the city of Reykjavik. We drove to Sólheimajökull glacier, stopping once on the way at a rest stop to use the bathroom/buy snacks or lunch. The food was expensive and didn't look particularly great, but I had brought snacks and eaten a big breakfast – I recommend doing the same! – so I didn't buy anything. We arrived at the glacier, where there was a cafe with a bathroom as well. It was luckily a sunny day and, while it was cold on the glacier, it wasn't particularly freezing that day, so my group was very fortunate weather-wise. I wore two pairs of socks, a layer of thermals, a pair of CoolGear leggings (supposed to keep you warm in the cold), a long-sleeve workout top and a sweater, plus a scarf, coat and beanie-type hat with a warm headband under it. This was my first-ever outdoor winter activity besides sledding when I was a kid, so I didn't have super-appropriate gear, but I was surprisingly warm in all my layers. Everyone else in the group had snow pants, which I'd recommend if you have them. I wore a backpack with an extra layer of sweatpants, some dry socks, some snacks and a water bottle. Most people in the group also brought backpacks.

We were provided with helmets and crampons, plus some of us rented waterproof pants and jackets (these were neon orange with reflective strips, so I put them in my backpack and didn't end up wearing them since the weather was nice). I HIGHLY recommend renting sturdy hiking boots. These cannot be rented on the spot, so order them on the booking sites or email the company to do so in advance!! The crampons need to latch onto sturdy boots or else they won't stay on and you basically won't be able to walk on the glacier. We were also given an ice pick, which our guides taught us to use. We had two guides and I forget the second guide's name, but my main guide was Norris and he was awesome!! Very fun and knowledgeable. Climbing on the glaciers was scary at a few points, particularly going up and down very steep hills, but both guides were very helpful and offered their hands to help everyone out or pointed out spots to hold onto ropes.

We were on the ice for about four hours, which went by quickly. About an hour in, we stopped at a very tall, vertical ice wall. Our guides climbed to the top and set up cables so we could climb the wall if we wanted to. Everyone in the group did it and it was my favorite part of the day! I felt like I was in Game of Thrones or something. It was definitely hard, but the crampons and ice pick surprised me in how grippy they were. It was awesome!

On our way back to Reykjavik, we stopped at Skógafoss, a beautiful waterfall very close to the glacier. We had some time, maybe 20 minutes, to take photos and walk around. Apparently you can walk behind the water, but it was very cold at this point and none of us braved getting that close/getting splashed.

I would recommend this tour to most people, but it may not be great for older people or people who have trouble with footing, balance, etc. There were definitely some moments that were very challenging, mostly going up and down steep inclines. There were little stairs carved out of the ice, but no railings and ropes only in select spots, so it was definitely tough. That said, even if you're not outdoorsy like me, but you're in at least somewhat decent physical shape, I would highly recommend this tour!!! Very cool, once-in-a-lifetime experience (though I do hope to do it again).

INTO THE BLUE – SNORKELING IN SILFRA

This was a half-day tour, and I booked an earlier one so I had some free time in the afternoon to explore Reykjavik while there was still daylight (the sun goes down early in the winter). Once again, I was picked up at my hotel –– and Norris was my guide again!! Best way to start the day!

I had read reviews and been warned by a friend that putting the dry suit on is not the best experience and it really was pretty bad, but this is not the fault of Arctic Adventures by any means – it's just REALLY not fun to put a dry suit on. You have to put them on outside, which wasn't a problem because I wore warm layers (thermals, warm leggings, workout top, two pairs of socks), but once the rubber head cover goes on, it's very hard to hear and was just very uncomfortable in general. We stood around for about 20 minutes in our gear, then walked over to the water, put on our flippers and were given a briefing on our masks and snorkels. Tip: LISTEN to the advice about the masks!! If you get water in it, you're only supposed to lift the bottom or it breaks the seal around your head cover. I broke the seal, luckily at the very end of the snorkel, but water kept pouring into my mask.

Discomfort aside, this tour was very, very cool. The drysuit kept me VERY warm – I didn't feel a difference walking from the air into the water. At all! It was cozy and did not leak at all. The gloves are more of wet suit material, so they fill with water that then warms next to your skin. Other people said their hands were numb at the end, but I didn't have this problem at all. Listen to the guides – the more you move your hands around, the more cold water will cycle through your gloves. Keep your hands still and just use your flippers to move around and you should be good!

For the important part – the snorkeling itself!!! The view is so beautiful!!! The visibility in the water is unreal, it is so clear and you'll see the prettiest shads of blue and green on the rocks. I forgot my GoPro strap and tried to rent a digital camera, but they were all booked for a day. I bought a disposable waterproof camera, thinking it's better than nothing, but it really wasn't. The photos came out horribly, you really can't see anything at all. Again – not the fault of Arctic Adventures at all!! But I don't recommend buying a disposable camera, just enjoy it with you memories or book a digital camera early.

I would recommend this tour because it's so different. I've never done anything like this and can't think of where else I could do something similar, so I recommend it! There are a few companies that run snorkel tours, but the guides at Arctic Adventures are so great that I'd recommend it over the other companies. The employee I was in touch with via email about renting the digital camera/buying the disposable one was also lovely.

Overall, AWESOME day trips with EXCELLENT guides!! Will definitely book more Arctic Adventures when I visit Iceland again!

Date of experience: January 2017
1  Thank Sheila W

Dear Sheila W,

WOW thank you oh so much for taking the time to write us this beautiful and detailed review. We are so extremely happy that you enjoyed your experience so much with us. The Blue Ice glacier hiking and climbing tour and Into the Blue snorkeling tour are such great choices to make in while traveling to Iceland and we feel so lucky that you chose us to make the excursions with.
Thank you for all your helpful tips and I'll be sure to show this review to Norris. He is such an amazing guide and we feel so fortunate to have him in our Arctic Family.
We hope to meet you again someday soon and show you more of our beautiful country!

All the best in the world,
Ragnheiður.