Ways to Experience Arctic Adventures
from $87.93
from $145.03
from $194.13
2,417 results
All reviews ice climbing glacier hike blue ice blue tour river rafting golden circle northern lights day tour lava caving silfra fissure dry suit south coast hiking boots the bus lava tube small group super jeep
Selected filters
Reviewed October 11, 2016 via mobile

Wow! You guys totally rock!! I did several tours with you while on my 10day adventure. "Black and blue" was one of my favourites, the guides are ace and arrange everything from pick up and drop off to ensure your life time experience is at its up most best. I couldn't recommend this company more.

Date of experience: November 2015
Kristján Karl B, Manager at Arctic Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2016

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to give us this great feedback! Caving and snorkeling on the same day on our Black & Blue tour is one of the better ways to spend the day. A joy for the senses witnessing these unique places and listening to our guides tell the saga from these historic sights is something everyone enjoys.

Thanks again for these kind words and joining our adventure!

Reviewed October 11, 2016

We went on the glacier hike/ice climb with Arctic Adventures. The landscapes left me breathless, with the beauty from the glacier to the ocean, with waterfalls and lava sand as a backdrop. Our guides, particularly Biggi, were fun and knowledgeable. As a climber, the ice climb was very easy for me, up a small wall in the "Grand Canyon" on the glacier. I would have loved a bit more challenging route, but for the majority of people on the hike, the choice of this wall was perfect. They could try and have fun and not be intimidated. If I ever return to Iceland, I will have Arctic Adventures take me on a private climb so I can really get my ax into the ice and be challenged. Overall however, a super day.

Date of experience: October 2016

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your ice climbing and hiking tour. The scenery at Sólheimajökull truly is beautiful and I will be sure to pass on these kind words to Biggi! The ice climbing bit of this tour is supposed to be a introduction of sort to ice climbing so everyone can have a shot at it. We also have a more advanced ice climbing tour called Glacier Extreme that you can try next time if you go to Skaftafell or like you say have a private climb at whatever site you like.

Thanks again for this awesome review and joining us on this adventure!

Reviewed October 8, 2016 via mobile

One thing I definitely wanted to do in Iceland was a glacier hike. Arctic Adventures offers a hike plus optional ice climbing which we signed up for. We were a little nervous because we were starting to think it was more than what we could handle but that was not the case. The description of levels of difficultly on their website is accurate. Also, our full group of 16 was split into 2 groups of 8. One guide asked if anyone would like to go into a slower group. We opted for that and we were so happy we did. We really enjoyed our surroundings, took lots of pictures. Our guides were great. I loved the attempt at ice climbing. We all encouraged each other. The day was beautiful, it rained on our way there but the rest of the day was great. We stopped at Skogafoss on the way back and that too was beautiful!
My only critique is that I wish I new the pick up/drop off arrangement ahead of time. Because we were not staying in Reykjavik, our hotel pick up was a cab that was hired to bring us to a rendezvous point at a gas station then the tour bus picked us up from there. At the end of the tour they also arranged for transport from a gas station back to our hotel. I would have just liked a heads up about that before hand, but otherwise the whole day was great and I wish I had time to do another tour with this company.

Date of experience: September 2016
Kristján Karl B, Manager at Arctic Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2016

Hi,

Thank you for taking your time to tell us about your Blue Ice glacier tour! Many think that ice climbing is only for experienced climbers but in this tour even beginners can try it out. It really is fun when everyone encourages each other to do the climb and overcome their fears.
We are glad everything lived up to your expectations and you were able to have such a positive experience.
For our pick ups outside of Reykjavík we do send a cab (that works with us) for the pick up (so that the half hour pick up plan goes smoothly) and this is something that we should have given you a heads up about. We are working on making this more clear in our booking channels and thank you for pointing this out.

Thanks again for the kind words and joining us on this adventure!

Reviewed October 6, 2016

We went on a super jeep Northern Lights trip. We did see the lights and they were good, but our guide was not particularly friendly and drove quite erratically,
This was a shame as it was a lovely night and the lights were good.

Date of experience: September 2016
Kristján Karl B, Manager at Arctic Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2016

Hello,

Thank you for taking your time to tell us about your Northern Lights Super Jeep trip. It is great to hear that you were able to find the lights but I'm very sorry to hear about the rest of your experience. Please send me further details about this and the date of your trip to kristjank@adventures.is.
Thanks for joining our Northern Lights trip and letting us know about these issues as it is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed October 3, 2016 via mobile

We booked the snorkelling trip as we couldn't do a dive due to having to be on an international flight that evening. We were already in the Thingvellir area so we didn't need the transfer option. The booking documents clearly spelled out the meeting point for the trip, but what it didn't say was that although you meet a tour company rep at the meeting point, you then have to drive yourself to Silfra, park (and pay for parking!) in the public car park and hike over to another car park where all the tour companies have vans full of gear etc. This second car park was barely-organised chaos. Different companies, vans parked everywhere, just had to look for the logo of the one we booked with. It was a miserable rainy day (definitely not the tour company's fault!) but we all (and there were about 20 people in the group) had to get changed into the gear in the open. So we got thoroughly wet and cold while getting into the gear. It was pretty chaotic due to the rain and the number of people with only a few staff around to help. We then had to "store" our clothes, bags etc in the back of a van while we walked to the snorkelling site. As a result my very expensive rain pants disappeared which was most disappointing and a frustrating thing to lose!! Would be concerned about leaving valuables as you are relying on the honesty of the 20 other people in the group and the staff. I'm sure my pants were just taken by accident due to the chaotic nature of the day...
The site itself is impressive for the visibility. And yes, it is cold on your face and hands (not covered by the dry suit) but it was bearable. Especially if you follow the guide's advice and keep your hands up out of the water behind your back and don't flounder around. There is almost no need to swim - your suit keeps you afloat and a gentle current pushes you along.
The main let down was the sheer size of the group. It was very production-line like: big group, one by one into the water, then proceed to follow in a clump behind the guide. The snorkelling itself lasted about 20mins all up. Many were not confident swimmers and I found myself getting kicked in the head and all the sand etc was stirred up by people floundering around (despite instruction from the guide to only use small frog kicks...) obscuring my view so I hung well back from the big group.
All in all, it's a cool experience to snorkel the fissure "between two continents" but needs to be organised better or at least people need to be aware what to expect. Having to drive ourselves after the meeting point, pay for parking, walk and find the tour group and change while exposed to the elements, as well as the big size of the group, really wasn't what we were expecting. Especially for the price we paid!! Maybe another company would be different.

Date of experience: September 2016
Kristján Karl B, Manager at Arctic Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2016

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your snorkelling experience. I'm sorry to hear that the tour didn't meet your expectations. It sounds like a lot of things didn't go right for you this day, some out of our control and some that we will look into.

In the national park you have to pay for parking 500 ISK for a full day which I believe is below average compared to parking meters. We offer pick up from Reykjavík which costs extra and then this is included in the price.

The area where you put on the gear is part of the National Park. Each company there gets distributed space by the Park and are not allowed to make any changes to it (build anything, make the area bigger, etc.). There can only be 8 people per guide and two of these groups are allowed to enter together, so there can be a max of 16 snorkelers (plus 2 guides) going in at the same time. Each group gets around 45 minutes in the water so I will have to look into why you only got 20 minutes which is highly unusual.

We also offer private tours if you want to go in the water alone and have your own guide.

I am sorry to hear about you losing your rain pants as that must have been a frustrating thing to lose. Please send me an email at kristjank@adventures.is with your booking info, address, any other information you want to inform us about and type of rain pants so we can check if someone has returned them to us.

Thanks again for giving us such a detailed review of your trip as it is greatly appreciated.