“Good variety of experiences”
Review of Arctic Adventures

Arctic Adventures
Book In Advance
$237.02*
and up
Day Trip from Reykjavik: Small Group Glacier Hiking & Ice Climbing Adventure on...
$188.89*
Small-Group Northern Lights Tour from Reykjavik in a Super Jeep
$235.82*
Day Trip from Reykjavik Small Group Silfra Snorkeling and Lava Caving Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Arctic Adventures is an Icelandic adventure and activity company. We are a bunch of outdoor and adventure fanatics committed to the mission of mixing business and adventure! With an emphasis on eco tourism and environmentally friendly trips, we want to offer the best for our customers to experience in the unique Icelandic nature. We provide tours ranging from exciting River Rafting and Snorkeling in one of the world's clearest waters to Glacier hiking and trekking in some of the most beautiful sceneries Iceland has to offer. Additionally a wide range of other activities is offered to adventurous travelers. Our main office is located in Reykjavik and our two base camps are located close to Geysir and Gullfoss (western Iceland) and in Skaftafell (southeastern Iceland). Go home with a story worth telling!
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We booked 3 tours with arctic adventures" The golden circle tour with snowmobiling, the northern lights tour and the blue ice tour. We traveled in March 2013.

The company seems to be very well run and well staffed.
On our golden circle tour, our guide told us facts about what we were seeing along the drive as well as when we stopped at our destinations in the national park.
The golden circle really is a must see. We had the most fun I think at the Geysir just watching and waiting for it to blow.
The snowmobiling was fantastic. We rode to the top of a glacier and then we stopped for photos. It is such an incredible feeling to be up there with nothing but white snow and ice around you.
The ride itself was so much fun. it was DH's first time on a snowmobile and he loved it.

The northern lights tour is sub-contracted through another jeep tour company. It was quite cold when we were standing and waiting for the northern lights. Bundle up. even if you don't think you'll need that extra layer-take it.

On our trip, it was kind of cloudy and we could see a very faint, and I mean VERY faint green line starting to appear in the sky. Some people were rushing to get the camera. DH and I looked at each other like " what's the big deal you can barely see it". It never really got any brighter than a faint line and then it disappeared. The group hung around waiting for it to show again, but never did. The tour ended with hot chocolate and vodka (which was new to me but good) and a ride back to town.
I remembered seeing on the brochure that if you don't see the northern lights, they will take you out again. We did call Arctic adventures the next morning to go out again and the lady on the phone said no problem. But then she called later in the afternoon that day to say that the owner of the Jeep tour company refused to take us out because we saw the northern light.
Well, what we saw was not the northern lights the way we thought we would see it.

We were not pleased. Not at Arctic Adventures but the jeep company. Although I think that Arctic Adventures, being that they book a lot of tours for the jeep people, should have had some more pull with the jeep company to have them take us out again.

The best was the blue ice tour. The scenery around you is incredible. It was so much fun to strap on the cramp-ons and go walking. I will say it is a bit of a challenge if you are not fit.
THe ice climbing was fun and surprisingly hard work to get up the ice wall. Our son ripped his snow pants with the sharp points of the cramp ons. Might be a good idea to throw a roll of duct tape in the back pack. It started to snow during our hike, which made it all the more fun. Seeing all the volcanic black ash against the white snow was amazing.
The blue ice is a beautiful sight. Although on our tour, the new falling snow covered the blue in some spots.
When we got back to the bus, we were hungry. We packed a lunch, but the tour guides provided lunch for everyone. Check before you book to see if they still offer lunch so you are prepared. You will be starving when the tour ends.

Arctic Adventures is a good choice for your tours. Highly recommended.
They are a good choice for tours and would highly recommend.

Asgeir_Hoskuldsson, Manager at Arctic Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Hey

Wow, you did a little bit of everything. Thanks for taking the time to rate and review the 3 tours you did with us. Sorry to hear about the feedback you got from our partners at the jeep company we shall pass it on. If you have any further comments or queries feel free to send them to us via our website.

Very glad you had a blast on your Golden Circle and Blue Ice tours.

Ásgeir Höskuldsson aka Geiri

Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and myself took our 7 year old grandson to Iceland and spent 2 days with this company, our guides were Brindis and Gilli. I can not reccomend them highly enough. They wre both so knowledgeable, but more than this they were caring, friendly and proud to work for their company. Don't miss the snowmobile ride that they arranged, another great cpmpany, unfortunately I didn't notice their name; and the glacier walk, this is Brindis's passion and she was so great with Harry (the grandson).

Hey

Thanks for taking the time to rate and review your experience with us. We are really happy that you and your husband had a good time with your grandson. We shall pass your feedback onto your guides Gilli and Bryndís

Ásgeir Höskuldsson aka Geiri

Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was my first trip to Iceland and the tours I took with Arctic Adventures made it a trip I'll never forget. I took two tours - Black & Blue (snorkeling and caving) and Blue Ice (glacier walk). Both trips were conducted professionally with experienced and (more importantly) fun and interesting guides.

The first tour was Black & Blue. First was the snorkeling in Silfra - a sort of 'river' in a fissure going feeding into the big lake. It was snowing pretty hard when we arrived, but no matter. The water in Silfra is about 2 degrees all year round, so it doesn't matter what the temperature is outside. We got dressed in 'Teddy-Bear' suits (basically a full body sleeping bag - I want one for home!) and a dry suit and headed into the water. It was insane how clear this water was. I'm not sure exactly how deep the fissure was, but you can see straight to the bottom. And if you get thirsty you just take off your snorkel and take a deep drink of mind-numbingly fresh and clear water.

After some well needed lunch (provided, of course) we drove to a cave called Leiðarendi. We took a walk all the way down with stops along the way where our guide explained various geological formations and how the cave was formed. It was a blast. We turned off our lights at one point and just sat still listening to the cave. I've never experienced total darkness like that before. It was very eery.

The other tour I took was the Blue Ice tour. That was a glacier walk on the glacier Sólheimajökull. We were provided with helmets and cramp-ons and ice picks - so we were ready to go. Lunch was also provided on this trip. It was amazing. We walked around for about 3 hours on the glacier and got to do some ice climbing as well. The guides were hilarious and knew their stuff. The most amazing thing to me was where the ice WASN'T. The guides pointed out where the ice used to extend only a few years ago - and how fast it's receding. Sad stuff.

Arctic Adventures really knows their stuff and they conduct themselves 100% professionally. The tours I took were easy and did not require any experience. They also did hotel drop off at the end of the day, which is really nice when you're tired from hiking around on a glacier all day. They really left me with an incredible impression of Iceland's wonderful nature and how dear it is to them. I totally recommend these tours to anyone and all of Arctic Adventures other tours. I know I'll be booking with them when I return.

1  Thank luke p
Reviewed April 23, 2013

As a native Icelander, I haven't been (or felt the need to go) on many guided tours in my home country. But when my American boyfriend came to visit Iceland I decided it was time to do some different outdoor activities and Arctic Adventures seemed like the perfect choice!

Our first tour was a caving and snorkeling combo called Black & Blue. We started with the snorkeling part, which was at the Silfra fissure at Þingvellir national park. The amazing thing about this is that you're snorkeling between two tectonic plates and the water is both crystal clear and drinkable! Nowhere on earth will you find such visibility in fresh water. Plus, most Icelanders have never done this so you'll finally be able to one up them! After about 45 mins in the water and then a lunch break, we headed to the caving part of the tour with our wonderful guide Gilli. We went to a cave called Leiðarendi, literally meaning "the end of the way". The cave itself was incredible, but my favorite part was definitely all the stories Gilli told us. At one point we just sat in complete darkness and silence listening to drops falling in the cave.

The second tour we did was a glacier hike on Sólheimajökull called Blue Ice. Here our guides, Snorri and Danni, helped us navigate around the crevasse ridden glacier for about 3 hours along with climbing an ice wall on the way. So cool! And even though it rained the whole time, the guys kept us going with a lot of interesting information on the glacier and a bunch of funny stories. Afterwards we went to see Skógarfoss, one of the countries biggest waterfalls and got Snorri to teach the others some important Icelandic pickup lines. Definitely a must!

All of these activities were really easy to do, absolutely no experience required. Everything was very well organized, lunch and equipment provided on both tours, and the guides amazing. I would definitely recommend Arctic Adventures over other tour companies in Iceland if you're looking for something a little more unique and adventurous.

2  Thank ingarosh
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We made some last minute planning with this one..10 of us heading to Iceland for a few days and we wanted a nice long hike. Not even 24 hours after my initial outreach and Wild Iceland had given us a bunch of choices and availabilities! We went on the private Hot Spring Hunt with Þórir & Björg who were so great and informative and laid back :) It is a good thing, too..because if they didn't tell us how hot the water actually can be we probably would have found out the hard way! They drove us out and we hiked and "hunted" until we came to the perfect spot to take a dip and have some lunch outside in the snow. The weather was perfect and I would highly recommend this hike whether you are with friends or family. Not too strenuous and you get to see so many different types of scenery!

Asgeir_Hoskuldsson, Manager at Arctic Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Hey

Thanks for taking the time to rate and review our Hot Spring Hunt tour. I shall pass the feedback onto your guides Þórir and Björg.

Asgeir Hoskuldsson aka Geiri