“Amazing”

$1,942.87*
and up
6-Day Small-Group Adventure Tour Around Iceland from Reykjavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Arctic Adventures is an Icelandic adventure and activity company. We are a bunch of outdoor and adventure fanatics committed to the mission of mixing business and adventure! With an emphasis on eco tourism and environmentally friendly trips, we want to offer the best for our customers to experience in the unique Icelandic nature. We provide tours ranging from exciting River Rafting and Snorkeling in one of the world's clearest waters to Glacier hiking and trekking in some of the most beautiful sceneries Iceland has to offer. Additionally a wide range of other activities is offered to adventurous travelers. Our main office is located in Reykjavik and our two base camps are located close to Geysir and Gullfoss (western Iceland) and in Skaftafell (southeastern Iceland). Go home with a story worth telling!
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This tour is actually run by Arctic Adventures not Gray Line but it was a good tour (I have had a look since returning and the price isn’t that much different on Arctic Adventures website). One of the main reasons I brought our tours through Gray Line is because they would give you a refund with 24 hours notice, which others did not. Going on a self organised holiday from Britain can be ruined if a few centimetres of snow fall.

The tour guides were really confident ad helped everyone get into their equipment. Everything was fully explained to us and they put me at ease. I am, unfortunately a bit terrified of heights but I didn’t find the walk too bad at all, although there were certain times I had to avert my eyes from the drop. The only aspect that stumped me was actual climb with the ropes. I found it easy enough to get half way but then I made the mistake of looking down and as everyone who fears heights knows that results in a loss of muscle power and therefore the inevitable quick descent.

The scenery is breathtaking and it felt amazing standing on top of such a beautiful part of the world. The tour guides are very good and tell you lots about Icelandic culture and traditions as well as facts about the glacier. One, which mildly bemused me was that there weren’t any glaciers in Iceland in the tenth century when parliament was established.

A couple of tips for the tour:

Follow the guides. They will reiterate this again and again but it is a dangerous place and you could get yourself hurt if you decided to go wandering.

Wear layers. We were very lucky and the sun was blaring. I had a massive coat on and by the end I was sweltering in the 0 degree weather. If the sun went though I imagine it would have been cold.

Have good boots. If you wear trainers you won’t be able to climb the glacier you will not be able to climb. The crampons won’t stay on flexible soles and you won’t stand a chance. If you are worried try and bend your soles if you can easily move it then take better shoes.

If you are like me, and need to eat reasonable regularly, then take something for the bus as we didn’t eat until gone two and we ate breakfast at 07.30. I was feeling a bit dizzy by the time I ate.

Take water you will get thirsty.

It was a great day and something i'll never forget.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,783)
All reviews
in 64 reviews
"amazing experience"
in 52 reviews

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Caveat: The tour started later and we didn't see the Northern Lights.

STILL, our guide Snorri really stepped up his game and made it such an unforgettable experience. He led us through the caves and skillfully told us spooky Viking stories in darkness. The lobster dinner at Rauda Husid restaurant was superb as was their dessert, and Snorri had excellent stories about why he may now believe in the legends of elves. We trekked out to hunt for the northern lights, however, the clouds were not allowing that to happen. Although that was a big disappointment, Snorri drove us out to hot springs and kept the stories going. We even got some cool lava rocks. I think we were quite lucky to get Snorri as our guide, I couldn't have asked for a better person. I would definitely recommend him.

1  Thank Kasey_Herrera
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We booked the Caving, Lobster Dinner, and Northern Lights tour through Eskimos so we weren't entirely sure of what was in store. However, we were very pleasantly surprised by the high-quality tour that ensued, and the many highlights are broken down into 3 main points below (skip to point #3 if you're looking for real-talk):

1) Arctic Adventures is a solid company
They seemed timely, professional, helpful, decently-priced, and the cave they showed us was ridiculously cool. What more can you really ask for?

2) Try the lobster
My travel companion is one of those picky American eaters who avoids seafood the way that most fat kids avoid gym class. However, I think we had a breakthrough of epic proportions at the Red House (Rauda Husid, or something like this?) restaurant that we were taken to during the course of the adventure! Purely coincidentally, our dinner companions were first-rate and both the conversation and Iceland-microbrewed beer flowed freely. If you choose this tour, it would be worth requesting to go to this restaurant--but honestly, the tour only got better after that.

3) GILLI IS THE MAN
Gilli's true awesomeness was obviously apparent at first sight, but it intensified during our cave adventure (think troll stories and Indiana Jones-like enthusiasm.) This was followed by several extremely important photography lessons, so that we could look look good in the cave and that even point-and-shoot cameras could capture the Northern Lights. He then convinced us all to wait around for over 2 hours when the Northern Lights were not yet apparent...the ensuing light show was more than worth it! Oh yeah, and romance was in the air when Gilli helped a man on our trip stage his proposal to his girlfriend under the Aurora Borealis, which he photographed with characteristic professional zeal. So, perhaps he's less Indiana Jones and more Cupid...

Anyhow, now that my fingers have thawed out enough to type (yes, Gilli convinced us to look at the lights until 2 in the morning), I can honestly say that this trip was completely, utterly, and incontrovertibly amazing--this is one of the things that you cannot miss while you are in Iceland!

3  Thank Ken B
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was one of my favorite days while in Iceland. We strapped on the crampons and tried some ice climbing, visited 2 waterfalls and roamed the glacier in a surreal landscape of ice, volcanic ash and towering black cliffs. our tour guides were both knowledgeable of the landscape and history and this made for a great day on the outdoors of Iceland.

2  Thank EarthGuide
See more reviews
Reviewed March 14, 2013

It was my first time going on a ice hike and climb. Arctic Adventures (AA) gave me a fun and memorable experience. The two guides were very knowledgeable and professional. We got picked up from our hotel at 8:30 in the morning, made a few more stops to pick up other people, and took about another 2 hours to get to the ice hike location.There were about 16 people in my group and 2 guides. We were all properly set up with our crampons, picks, and helmets before taking off. The pace wasn't too bad so everyone was able to catch up. We made stops along the way for photo opportunities and a little history of the place.
After the hike/climb, it was about 2-2:30, and we were all starving but this was forewarned by our guide. So as soon as we got back to the bus, we were handed sandwiches and juice for lunch. We then made a short stop at the Skogafoss Waterfall before heading back to Reykjavic. We got back to the hotel around 7pm, just in time for dinner.

2  Thank Lchu8517