“Good Food & Atmosphere”

“Good Food & Atmosphere”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Very good pizzas - Sweets not very good. Prices good for Iceland

Visited March 2012

“Excellent food, but not worth waiting over an hour for!”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We tried La Luna because it was joined onto our hotel. We went for a sit down meal prior to going on a Northern Lights tour. We were stuck in a dark, poky little corner where the waiters obviously feared to tread. After about 15 minutes of non-service we decided to go and order a take out pizza from the front desk. We ordered and sat at the bar with a drink. People came and people went, some placed orders for food, others just disappeared inside the restaurant! Our pizzas came out of the oven. I mean we saw them come out of the oven. We also saw them being put into a pizza delivery satchel and left on the side. After another few minutes we decided to ask if we could just take our pizzas and go! The staff were completely baffled by running a restaurant for sit-down customers ordering food, and take-out customers ordering food. We eventually got our pizzas and left after well over 35 minutes. The pizzas were absolutely marvellous - very tasty, full of flavour, and generously sized. The kitchen staff were to be praised, the waiting staff were completely clueless as to how to run a restaurant.
We should have learned our lesson!! The following night we decided we would sample their fare again as we had been very pleased with the food from the previous night. The downstairs area was full so we were asked to find a table upstairs which we did. We were the first customers upstairs. No waiting staff appeared. A few other couples did appear and seated themselves expectantly. Still no waiters appeared. After we had been there for 20 mins I went downstairs to order our food anyway. The Head Waiter (and I use the term advisedly!) apologised and said he would be up in 2 minutes. 10 minutes later he had still not appeared so I went downstairs again. I ordered some drinks and our food this time. Back upstairs we waited again. A waitress appeared and took orders from some of the other customers. 20 minutes later some of the starters arrived, but not all of them. Then some drinks arrived, but not all of them. I went down and ordered another round of drinks. Some more starters arrived, but not our mains. After we realised that we had been in the restuarant for over 85 minutes we gave up and walked out, passing two waiters on the way, neither was carrying food! I am almost ashamed to say that we did not pay for the drinks we had. My advice for any potential diners at La Luna is this - if you are already retired and have got several weeks to kill then the food here is great. If you want excellent service, tasty food served promptly in a pleasant restauarant, turn right out of the Best Western Hotel and go to the other Italian restaurant Madonna. The experience is much better, the waitresses know what they are doing, and the food which arrived about 6 minutes after we ordered it was lovely.

• Visited February 2012
Tolli J, Owner at La Luna, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thank you for your review, it will be most helpful.

I am really sorry for the mix up and inconvenience, this is not the way I would like my guests to experience La Luna, however mistakes can be made and this was down to human error.

I looked for you to offer my sincere apology, both on the evening and the next day, and to my dismay I could not find you.

I thank you for your excellent remarks on the food and good review on atmosphere and value.
If you find yourself in Iceland again, please do not hesitate to contact us and get your complimentary meal from us.

Kind regards
Owner and manager of La Luna
Tolli Jonsson
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Decent pizzas - patchy service”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Three of us ate at La Luna on Saturday 20 August 2011. This was Reykjavík Culture Night and we had been attending various events throughout the afternoon and evening. We arrive at La Luna shortly after 21:00 without a reservation and they were able to find us a table.

La Luna opened in May 2011 in a building which has housed several restaurants over the past 25 years. It‘s not quite in the centre of town, but is next to Hotel Reykjavík and is a 5 minute stroll from the main shopping street Laugarvegur.

We didn‘t want a full meal so all three of us opted for pizzas, each different; we drank Tuborg Classic beer to accompany. Service was patchy, generally rather slow. However, the pizzas were up there with the best we have had in Reykjavík, and this, plus the interesting menu, decided us to return at a later date to taste the full menu. Watch this space!

Total price was kr. 9.630 including taxes of which kr. 6.130 (about USD 55) was for food and kr. 3.500 (about USD 32) was for drinks.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank FrozenBaz
Reykjavik, Iceland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Superb”
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Went there yesterday with my girlfriend we had beef carpaccio for starter,and then lasagna and pizza J.
Fantastic