“Great breakfast but very slow service”

The Laundromat Cafe
Ranked #67 of 521 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Went to the laundromat cafe our first day in town had a great latte and the staff were very friendly. Went back a few days with friends an our breakfast took almost an hour we had to make our bus for a hockey game so was a quick race to eat once the food finally arrived. Big portions of food but is quite pricey for a cafe diner style place

Write a ReviewReviews (3,222)

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I had read about it before we visited and was very impressed. The bar and seating area is very comfortable and warm. The staff are relaxed and pleasant. There were so many things on the menu that I fancied that we had to come back every night to try them. My favourite though was the Vegan Toast, which was a thick slice of rye toast topped with homemade hummus, pesto, grilled aubergines, tomatoes, beetroot and horseradish chutney and pine nuts, with a side salad. It was so delicious I had it twice - really wanted to have it every day but felt obliged to try something different. We also had Fish soup which had salmon and prawns in a lovely tomato soup with cream and lots of bread and butter. The fish dish of the day was great too which was salmon with a sticky ginger and soy sauce and small roasted potatoes and root vegetable stew - very tasty. We also tried the carrot and ginger soup, chicken burger and potato wedges, and tuna and apple sandwich with a spicy sauce - ALL DELICIOUS! We also popped in for coffee and Carrot cake - which was the best carrot cake I have ever tasted. I had it twice in one day! (I know its excessive but I was on holiday :-/) The prices were very reasonable for Reykjavik.
Downstairs theres a laundry with a play area for kids and you can have a meal there too, which is a great idea if you live downtown or dont have laundry facilities at home. That area looked really cool too.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

After reading reviews on the internet and in books, we stopped here for lunch. Don't bother. Service was indifferent at best and the food only tolerable, My son had more tomatoes on his burger than I did on my BLT.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Great Atmosphere, good service and food.
Very cool restaurant cafe in the centre of reykjavik.
The concept built around the laundry service is great.
I love the Bar counter with the books in order by colour

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Love this informal cafe with its great atmosphere and great food. Always come here when in Reykjavik which is about once a month. Always found the service to be quick, efficient and polite. Love the fact you are in a place sorrounded by locals which is great to pick up a bit of local lingo. The place is clean, great choice of beverages, excellent food which is always plentiful. Their homemade hummus is the best I have ever tasted and their breaskfasts are very hearty and will set you up for a days sightseeing.