“An excellent tour with an excellent guide” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Solstice Tours

Solstice Tours
Ranked #42 of 329 Tours in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Solstice Tours is your key to traveling in Iceland on your own terms, be it during the Winter, in the Summer – or at Solstice. Do you feel like being more flexible and going with the flow? We make the trip personal and to suit your interest. Do you want to see something more out of the ordinary? If a pre-organized package tour is not exactly what you're after, your option is having Solstice Tours design your own adventure
Clanfield, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“An excellent tour with an excellent guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

We took the Golden Circle and Northern Lights combo tour with Jon in October, and were delighted with our choice. The Golden Circle tour included the usual sights plus quite a few other sights and experiences - eating Icelandic greenhouse tomatoes and making friends with Icelandic ponies amongst them! Jon was a wealth of information and went out of his way to make everyone feel at home. The Northern Lights portion of the tour covered two nights in the end, and Jon proved to be a master of lights hunting, plus an excellent photography tutor. All in all an excellent value tour, and we can't recommend it highly enough.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank mike_pope666

Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Nothing but Praise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

It is not surprising to see that everyone that has used Jon's amazing touring services has anything but the highest of recommendations and eagerness to share the great memories he helps to create.

Form the first moment I contacted Jon to see if it was in any way possible to design a tailor made 2 day journey around the remote mysterious regions of the Snaefellness Peninsula and the classic breathtaking sights of the golden circle, I was greatly impressed by his eagerness to assist, his preparedness to be flexible, his warmth and friendliness and his great understanding of all things and places Icelandic!

After an enormous amount of research of available options at the time, only Jon was flexible and creative enough to provide us with the rare opportunity of experiencing these unforgettable regions of Iceland in the private comfort of Jon’s car and company. As part of these special arrangements, Jon was prepared to stay overnight nearby in a little village so that we could pursue our dream of staying at the Hotel Budir and so that we could continue our private tour the following day.

Jon’s in depth knowledge of Icelandic history, custom and fables, skilful awareness of must-see (but off the tourist road) places, eagerness to connect like a lost friend and great ability to interact with local personalities resulted in deeply enhancing our experience of a region that only Jon made possible in the first place.

Without this, we would not have experienced the magic of the first golden snowfall over gullfoss, the impromptu arranging for a private tutorial by Iceland’s famous vulcanologist in his unique museum, the wonders of the delicacy of fermented shark (including from the “experts only” supply), the misty morning sunrise in the tiny church at the Hotel Budir and the evading of the ghosts of the beserk warriors seeking their escape and revenge….amongst too many others too mention!!!

Visited November 2012
Munich, Germany
“Great memories of Iceland with Solstice Tours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Thanks to Jon and Solstice Tours the last two days of our stay in Iceland turned out to be the highlight of our trip. We originally wanted to book three tours with Jon, but since one date was already booked up, we had to make do with two wonderful tours to the Snaefellsnes Peninsula and the volcanic landscape of Landmannalaugur where Jon also showed us many waterfalls, each one still more beautiful than the revious one. We crossed small rivers without bridges, descended to an ancient lava tube cave and saw hot springs. Jon turned out to be the ideal guide who seemed to know everything about Icelandic history, geology, politics and the economy. But he also enjoyed answering all kinds of questions and scholarly requests - talking about the sagas, the Icelandic language and even leading us to a medieval slab with runes on it in an old cemetery.
We can wholeheartedly recommend Jon as the best guide to experience Iceland from a native perspective and to provide lasting memories of the land of fire and ice.

Gabriele S., Munich/Germany

Tennessee
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Jon is Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

My 3 adult daughters and I booked Jon for 4 days to see all of Iceland we could. He told me my plans were ambitious but he made them happen! We did the Golden Circle with snowmobiling, the Landmannalaugar trip with an ATV ride, the Snaefellsnes Peninsula and the South Shore with the zodiac raft ride on the glacier lagoon. Long days, 12-14 hrs, but worth every minute!

From the start, Jon and I exchanged numerous emails as I shared with him all I had read in a tour book and asked him how much of it he could incorporate in the allotted time. He was always prompt with his answers and even sent me maps for the first two days we were there and were doing our own tours.

As mentioned in other reviews, Jon was excellent at taking us places that other tours wouldn't go. We saw many waterfalls that were not listed in the book (something Jon knew I and my photographer daughter wanted to do!) and we also went to quaint, quiet restaurants with great food! We didn't have the best weather but Jon made changes on some of the days so we could possibly do some things and get back to others that would be better with sunlight. The day we went to the south shore and Dyrrholey Bay the fog was so thick he knew we wouldn't be able to see the Puffins flying so he took us to a different area on top of the cliffs and we got to see 4 of them about 5 yds away! So amazing!

As also has been mentioned, he was extremely knowledgeable, not only about his own country but about ours as well (USA) bc he lived here for 5 yrs. He is very personable and a great conversationalist. My girls often slept on some of the rides bc there were long drives to each place but I learned a lot from him as I stayed awake! Being close to the same age, we found we had many things in common and those long drives flew by!

All in all, I couldn't be more positive about Jon. Yes, private tours are a bit more expensive but it was well worth the money. One reason I wanted to do so much was bc I figured I'd never go back to Iceland but now I'm thinking about going again! Jon plans to add a new tour to the West Fjords and I'd also love to try to catch the northern lights sometime. So who knows, maybe we will return and if we do, we wouldn't go with anyone but Jon!

3 Thank kdmarsh
Westerville, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Iceland by Solstice Tours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We have just recently returned from Iceland where we four tourists chose Jon Frosti's Solstice Tours primarily based on Tripadvisor's reviews which described a superlative experience. Our tours, the peninsula areas and the Golden Circle on two separate days, were just as other reviewers have reported: absolutely excellent. Jon's English is superb, his knowledge of the geology, the history, the local lore, the roads less traveled, places to eat and to shop in Iceland and Reykjavik, were wonderfully informative. He was thoroughly professional and personable. His response to our emails was prompt as was his effort to tailor the tours to us "older" people. This trip was on our "bucket list" of places to go and, because of Jon, it was one of the most memorable trips we have done together. We would most highly recommend him to others.