“Why does this place not have a Mitchell star?”

Sjavargrillid Seafood Grill
Ranked #19 of 509 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood, Scandinavian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: In 2010 a young chef from Húsavík, was awarded Chef of the year 2010 in Iceland.The young chef, Gústav spent months traveling around Iceland looking for the real taste of Iceland, along the way he found a few things that are key items of the interior of the restaurant.Take a look at our menu, it will be our pleasure to fire up the old grill when you honor us with a visit.
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I was at hestons fat duck at bray restaurant this year. The meal is as good as eating there a wonderful experience i cant recommend it enough all round amazing including the service. It's just a matter of time before this place gets a Mitchell star and is hard to get a reservation.
You have to have the grill party !!!!
Im a chef and wish i could cook like this
Well done guys
Cooking at its best
Fraser

2  Thank Frazzlesdazzles

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Sjavargrillid present truly modern gourmet interpretations of Icelandic classics. You'll be grandly rewarded if you show an adventurous taste.

My fiancee and I had just landed in Reykjavik and asked our hotel clerk for a recommendation. The kind folks at Sjavargrillid squeezed us in. We were not quite sure exactly what we were in for. The environment was warm, cozy, homey, and fun. The menu seemed to offer up some traditional Icelandic fare so we went for the appetizer of shark, whale, and puffin. "Weird right?" was our waitress's question but we were stunned at the balance, harmony, and beauty of the simply prepared bites with sauce and accompanying veg. There was also a palate cleansing sorbet.

We then racheted our expectations way up for the entrees . Still, we were again blown away by the level of cuisine offered. I had a more traditional type dish of saltfiskur (brined cod) which was served with a decidedly non traditional baked pork belly over carrot puree. My fiancee had the fish of the day, a striped catfish with barley, though she is not much for catfish. Being from the American South, I found the baked pork belly disappointing, but everything else was way more than suitable and really worked well together. The catfish was perfectly prepared and delicious.

I definitely recommend. It may not hurt to call ahead for a reservation. The staff are very comfortable with English.

Be prepared to set a high budget and just let it go. Yes it is expensive but it is a fantastic dining experience, worth what you are paying.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We tried this place after our hotel reception recommended it and boy, it did not disappoint!

We started with the whale and puffin appetizer (cringed while we ordered it). All the locals we encountered insisted we must try the whale so we did. I assume it must be an acquired taste because we just did not like the consistency but the presentation was amazing and the additions (cheese and nuts) were to die for.

My husband had the lamb trio was absolutely delicious. I had the plaice fish with langoustine and it was by far the best fish dish I have ever tasted. The flavors were amazing and the fish was so fresh. I would definitely recommend this dish. For dessert we had the chocolate cake it was amazing- fresh, fudgey just perfect.

I gave this such a high rating (unusual for me) because the service was magnificent.The night we went, the upstairs part of the restaurant was completely filled with some kind of party of about 50 people and they seemed to be having a great time since they were pretty loud and drunk ( we didnt mind at all it actually provided for some great entertainment). We were seated at a table close to the door with lots of people walking back and forth past us (which again we didnt mind since the food was THAT good). The waiter kindly asked us if we would like to be moved to a more intimate setting as soon as the opportunity arose and of course we said yes and went to a quaint little romantic corner of the restaurant. Later on when we got the check, the same waiter informed us he had given us a 15% discount due to the noise level in the restaurant and hoped we enjoyed our dinner. We were absolutely delighted ! It was very thoughtful and kind of him to do that especially considering the popularity of the restaurant.

Overall, amazing food (young chef with a fresh twist on Icelandic cuisine), romantic setting and superb service. I would ABSOLUTELY recommend to everyone.

Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Three of us did the Grill feast and spent over 2 hours in culinary heaven. The best dining experience I've ever had.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

After grillmarkadurinn i thought nothing could be as good as that ever. but the seafood grill lives up to expectations. their taster menu is more extensive - something like 8 small courses and it worked out cheaper. i still prefer the grill market but i cant tell you why- just a feeling. they were both some of the best restaurants i have ever eaten in. top quality food in an relaxed, pleasant, non pretentious surrounding.

1  Thank Bryan M