“One of the best meals ever”

Sjavargrillid Seafood Grill
Ranked #18 of 509 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood, Scandinavian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: In 2010 a young chef from Húsavík, was awarded Chef of the year 2010 in Iceland.The young chef, Gústav spent months traveling around Iceland looking for the real taste of Iceland, along the way he found a few things that are key items of the interior of the restaurant.Take a look at our menu, it will be our pleasure to fire up the old grill when you honor us with a visit.
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I came here on a Saturday night as a single female traveller. I like to get dressed up for dinner, even when by myself,and this was a busy, buzzy, stylish place, with great people watching!
I opted for the Taste of Iceland menu, which is four amazing courses.
While waiting for my wine, I was served an amuse bouche of apple, mayo and crumb. This sounds unassuming and quite bizarre, but was remarkable in terms of texture and flavour. And it got me excited about what was to come!
The starter of langoustine and cat fish with mussel sauce was a multi/texture delight. One of the nicest things I've ever tasted,even when compared with Michelin starred restaurants in the Uk. This was followed by a plate of shag, puffin,and minke whale, with a berry sorbet. Again, a perfectly cooked plate with a variety of surprising textures and flavours. The whale in particular was superb, despite my ethical concerns. The main course was a number of cuts of lamb, and again was superb, although I was starting to flag a little! Dessert was a salty, berry brownie, with chocolate mousse, a rhubarb compote and berry skyr. The surprising salty flavours really added to the complexity of this plate.
I can't recommend this restaurant enough!

3  Thank Cork_liz

Reviewed April 18, 2013

My friend and I stopped in on a Thursday night after the symphony for dessert. I had the white chocolate mousse with dill sorbet,raspberry sauce, burnt white chocolate crumble, white chocolate crumble, and raspberry meringue. I love dill, but I was still apprehensive about it in sorbet form. But it worked! Oh. My. Gosh. Delicious!!!

The atmosphere was dark and comfortable. Perfect for a nightcap. Like everything in Reykjavik, it was expensive, but, in my opinion, worth it.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We both had the fish of the day which was Cod. Neither of us could get especially inspired by the choice but then, we'd never had Cod prepared by a Master. Absolutely delicious as were the interesting and beautifully prepared sides. A word of advice though about dining reservations upon your arrival in this country. We arrived on a Wed. and didn't attempt to make a reservation for either Sat. or Sun. evening, until Sat. morning. Big mistake. The Seafood Grill was the only spot from my short list obtained from TA's top five restaurants in Reykjavik who made room for us on the Sun. night. At our Hotel Natura's suggestion, when faced with packed tables, we went to Hofnin's on Sat. night which was quite good where I enjoyed reindeer meatballs (disappointing wine list, however, but that seems to put them in good company in Iceland.) Make your reservations well ahead!

1  Thank Torontolyn
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Amazing food. We had the grill menu, this was a special meal for my husbands birthday.
The food tasted amazing and was beautifully presented.
This is a very large meal for two people but it was fun to try what Iceland has to offer.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

like everything in iceland its not cheap - but the food was great - we tried the feast - 6 courses - i bit of everything - minki whale was yum

1  Thank Peter G