“Our Best Meal EVER”

Sjavargrillid Seafood Grill
Ranked #19 of 509 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood, Scandinavian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: In 2010 a young chef from Húsavík, was awarded Chef of the year 2010 in Iceland.The young chef, Gústav spent months traveling around Iceland looking for the real taste of Iceland, along the way he found a few things that are key items of the interior of the restaurant.Take a look at our menu, it will be our pleasure to fire up the old grill when you honor us with a visit.
Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I and two friends selected this restaurant for our last night blow out meal in Reykjavik after visiting the top three restaurants on the Trip Advisor list to get the feel of them all. We liked the lower key and friendly atmosphere of the place, plus the menu provided a good selection of options.

We chose the grill feast, which consisted of a number of taster dishes. We weren't entirely sure what to expect, and I am not keen on some shellfish, but I decided to go along with the others. I am glad I did. The dishes were small but course followed course until we reckon we had about 11 different dishes, which I can only describe as "experiences". A little Chef's taster treat started it off. This was a tiny piece of smoked goose with redcurrant. What followed was a selection of fish, including langoustine, blueling, salmon, arctic charr, minke whale (which I wouldn't eat on principle but the others liked), and a selection of meat including beef, lamb (so tender), shag, puffin, and belly of pork with smoked mushroom, all of which were fabulously cooked and which had amazing sauces and other accompaniments. What incredible flavours we tasted. We had two different desserts - both of which were stunning and included a dill sorbet, which we all were wild about. One of our friends said there wasn't a single thing on the menu that he didn't like and that that was unusual for him. The drinks were very reasonable pricewise for Reykjavik and were only a little more expensive than those we had bought in a local bar.

At the end we were chatting to an English party on the next table and they mentioned they were getting 15% discount using a voucher from the local visitors guide. We told our lovely waitress that we had the visitors guide in our apartment, only a short walk away, and asked if we could use the voucher to get a discount for ourselves. She said it was ok and we got the discount without the voucher. We had a mix up with the bill, as they inadvertently charged the wrong amount to one of our credit cards (we had split the bill) but they could not have been more helpful and friendly about it and it was all sorted out very quickly. If they hadn't said anything we probably wouldn't have realised anything was wrong.

We all agreed it was probably the best meal we have ever had and we would certainly go back there. The price was also slightly lower for a similar taster menu at other restaurants.

2  Thank beachluvver

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Had dinner at this great restaurant on New Years Eve. Had made reservations by email and they were very responsive and friendly.
Food was fabulous and the service was great.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Sjavargrillid came highly recommended from friends and we weren't disappointed. We enjoyed the Puffin, European Shag and Minke Whale as a starter size which was arguably the most beautifully presented meal I've ever had the pleasure to taste. Our mains were fish of the day and pork belly, both of which were balanced with unique sauces and local vegetables. We passed on dessert only because we were so full. A small highlight was the butter served on a volcanic rock, a nice local touch. The candlelight, variety of lampshades and cushions created a beautiful ambiance and homely feel to the room.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

My sister contacted the restaurant from the US to buy me a gift certificate since she knew I would be in Reykjavik. She talked with Surri who was extremely helpful with sending the giftcard back to the States and making sure we have a reservation. When we got to the restaurant we decided to do the most elaborate service on the menu which is basically a surprise dinner for two including four appitizers each, two entrees each and two desserts each. Needless to say, this was an insane amount of food. Although it was expensive, it was an amazing experience. The staff was very attentive and the whole thing takes about 2 and a half hours. It was so much fun and the food was absolutely delicious! It is also quite cozy inside with candles which I loved! I would definitely go back!!

2  Thank Pamela L
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Now I have eaten at this restaurant 6-7 times and every time I have gotten great fish meal. I recommend going there for lunch and have fish of the day for under 2000 IKR.

I have eaten in almost all of the better places in Reykjavik and in my view this is the best restaurant in Reykjavik today.