“A must Stay when in Reykajvik”
Review of Hotel Holt

Hotel Holt
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Toronto, Canada
“A must Stay when in Reykajvik”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I am so glad I booked here. It is a little pricey but it is worth it. This Hotel is walking distance to everything and has a wonderful lounge. We had breakfast every morning in there dinning room before heading off to explore and the food was great.

The rooms are very European (smaller then an American hotel room and the queen beds are two single mattresses) but comfy. I have heard complaints about that however this is a European country. my husband and I found the room very comfy.

I love the art every where. The non automatic elevator door took a couple times to get used to. lol though with it only being four flights we mainly just took the stairs.

I do have one tip for those wanting to use the WIFI on an apple device.

you are going to need to change you international settings otherwise you will not be able to connect.

Room Tip: All rooms here are great. We had three rooms on the third floor and they were all wonderful.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank TabibiCameron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Finnish first
London
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I was allocated this hotel as part of a tour and spent a night here at the beginning of my holiday and two at the end. My first night I had a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the street, from which there was slight noise. For my second stay I went up a floor and overlooked the back which had a more pleasant view of the church and was quieter. The downside was there was a constant hum from an extractor fan at the back of the kitchen and my room was filled with cooking smells in the early morning. The one real downer for this establishment was the lack of black out curtains. Management claimed the existing curtains are blackout but they did little to keep out the summer light.
Room had all the usual toiletries, mini bar, coffee making facilities, comfortable double bed and shower only. Room service was available.
I didn't eat or drink in the hotel as it was only a short walk down the hill to town or past the British
Embassy to the lake.
Breakfast for me was fine with the usual continental selection of breads, cold meats, yoghurt etc with hot bacon, beans and scrambled egg but nothing cooked to order. Tables were shared with your fellow traveller which didn't bother me.
All in all fairly good, ok for a couple of nights but wouldn't set the world on fire.

Room Tip: I would say rooms overlooking the chuch were preferable.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I stayed at Hotel Holt in a single room when my friend missed our flight, and then again at the end of our trip in a double.

I was able to get a single room at the last minute and they let me check in at 11am, which was great considering I just took an overnight flight and needed a nap. Had a single room on the top floor at the front of the hotel. Nice view from here, and the sun shone in the room at 11:30pm. SO if you don't want the sun in your room while trying to sleep in the summer, ask for a room at the back of the hotel.

The single was small but had everything you need. The bathroom was nice sized. Free wifi was a plus, but then all of Iceland had free wifi. On the top floor you are able to open the balcony door, which you share with all of the floor, but it also makes the room a little smaller.

The staff was very nice, and mainly saw one guy who was very helpful. Hotel front desk staff seem to work long shifts in Iceland! I'd see the same person morning and evening!

Our double room was on the third floor and somewhat larger than the single. Again, a good sized bathroom and decent closet space.

In both cases, the pillows were not great.

The artwork was EVERYWHERE. Like an art gallery of a hotel. This is not a modern hotel in decor but had lots of interesting rooms on the main floor. The breakfast was the best we had in Iceland with a good selection of what you'd expect from the comp breakfast.

Walk a few blocks out the door and you are in the main part of the city with shopping and restaurants. A few blocks down was a nice pond to get a little exercise. Also nice was FREE parking next to the hotel.

None of this was cheap however. But then Iceland isn't cheap...

Room Tip: Get a room in the front/street side of the hotel if you want to see the sunset in the summer. Top fl...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank jenbirdistheword
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Location slightly off centre. Had a room on top floor, very nice view. Evening meal in the dining room was a wonderful experience, albeit food was only OK, and expensive. But breakfast was a disaster: shared tables, limited seating and very poor selection of food. Better off going out for breakfast IMO. Paintings are great, and the bar is lovely. Would stay somewhere else next time. X

Room Tip: Top floor, have dinner once, go out for breakfast
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank peter m
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2014

This was not our first choice originally, but once we arrived, we were delighted to be there for our three night holiday. The location is fantastic, close to the harbour and closer still to Laugevegur and all its shops, bars and restaurants and the hotel itself is elegant and comfortable. The vibe is dark leather furniture, with wonderful artworks in the public areas - paintings, carpets and sculptures. The 24/7 reception provides knowledgeable, helpful service, in the somewhat laid back way that seems typical of Iceland. Breakfast is buffet style with continental choices as well as bacon and scrambled eggs and the offer of fish oil for those brave enough to sample it. I tried it mixed with apple juice and it was OK, but not something I'd want every morning.

We did not try the restaurant, but we did give the bar a go at happy hour, which runs from 4 to 7 pm. Happy hour pricing is a real nice to have in Iceland, where food and drink is pretty expensive by comparison with the UK.

The bedroom, a twin, was spacious and comfortable, with a generous supply of tea and coffee. Likewise the shower room, with lovely toiletries, including body butter. Blackout curtains in the bedroom would have helped us sleep better, as it never really gets dark in June. If you are sensitive to light, bring a sleeping mask.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank maggiavelli
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 26, 2014

After 10 days around Iceland, including the previous weekend in Reykjavik, we booked a last-minute room at Hotel Holt prior to our flight home. This hotel caters to Americans, which can explain why 4 out of 5 TripAdvisor reviews are written from the USA. Being American myself, I know what we like and expect. Yes, there was a plethora of soaps, shampoos, toiletries, and towels in the bathroom. Yes, we had one complete bed instead of two twin beds pushed together. And yes, there most certainly was scrambled eggs and bacon at the breakfast buffet. This is all great if you enjoy these things and/or simply cannot live without them, but it did seem like a less authentic experience than my previous 10 days.

The hotel is well located a short walk away from the main street and the first floor is a cool maze of art and leather coaches. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Colleen B
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed here one night at the end of our holiday in Iceland. It is on Bergstadastraeti which runs into the main shopping street in the center of town. It is about a 3 minute walk over to the main street. The hotel has nice rooms, not luxurious or anything but nice, clean, and relatively spacious. It was very quiet. We were in room 405 which is at the back of the hotel, away from the street and we kept the windows open all night and it was very quiet. The bed was comfortable, too. Breakfast was very good. I would stay here again as I liked the hotel and I loved the location. The staff were very nice and they has a locked room for suitcases for the next day after we had checked out but needed to store our stuff before going to the airport.

Room Tip: I liked the room we stayed in - 405 - the back, very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple