“Our choice for a long weekend”
Review of Hotel Holt

Hotel Holt
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a boutique hotel within walking distance of the centre of Rejkjavik. There is a slight hill up which may prove a bit of a struggle where mobility is reduced. The area is quiet- we stayed over the weekend. Outside the building is nothing special but the moment one stps in one sees a wonderfully tasteful art gallery - apparently the largest in private hands in Iceland. Together with wooden panneling this creates a warm homely feeling . on the landings the imprssion is more contemporary but still very attractive - not what you would find in your average Hilton. Reception staff are the stars, incredibly helpful and accomodating. Sigrun is I think the best Hotel receptionist I have ever come across. A pleasant smile but not overpowering. We arrived at 11am and were given the keys to our room. this was not ready ( why should it be when one is early) so we went for a walk round town. On coming back at 2pm and wanting a sleep ( we had been up since 3 am Icelandic time), She insisted on going up to the room herself to check it was in order before giving us the keys. i saw her talking to some Italian clients and can vouch for her linguistic skills as well. There were other such examples and other members of staff were also highly skilled: I risk being unfair in picking only one- sorry!
Sigrum had arranged an upgrade to a junior suite- this gave us more room but surprisingly a shower as opposed to a bath ( water shortages are not a problem here). I suspect this may well be a structural issue with the hotel building but i did mark another (brand new) hotel down a notch for this in a recent review.
We did not try the restaurant: there were a few too many stomach churners for my taste: am not sure I could manage beef cheeks for example though there was the option of an a la carte T bone steak. I see no reason to question its reputation.
Breakfast adequate but not exceptional. Service here could be better eg milk sometimes not with tea/ coffee and on one occasion samovar empty so delay in getting tea to my wife.I appreciate the manager replies to all reviews and might suggets this area could do with an overview.I was thinking about the truly great breakfasts I have had and they seem to have been in large Hotels ( Jebel Ali and Atlantis in Dubai and the Esplanade in Berlin come to mind). It may be there are issues in a smaller establishment that are hard to correct.,
Nonetheless these are relatively small points and are offered as feeddback.

Room Tip: We had a junior suite facing town- great view but some minor aircraft noise from local airport nearb...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank theflyingdoctor
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear theflyingdoctor.

Thank you for the full house review and the details on where we can improve. You are absolutely spot on about the breakfast. We are continually trying to improve on it without having to dramatically increase costs but this is difficult in such a small property. But every comment helps us improve, so thank you for that.

Sigrún is the newest member of the team and she is absolutely ecstatic to see that her manager read your praises and complimented her. I am always delighted when team members impress guests enough for them to remember their names. Don´t worry, i won´t hold a grudge for you picking one member out. It was her turn :).

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you to Hotel Holt for many more years to come.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have wanted to experience a stay at this hotel for a very long time. I have recommended it to a number of people but was not 100% sure about whether I was misleading people or not.
I was not, great staff and very comfortable room. Great location. The only thing I was a little disappointed with was the breakfast. The majority of it was fine, typical Scandinavian/European buffet but they did also have bacon and scrambled eggs. This was all cold and the bacon was poorly done, I will continue to recommend this hotel to people. The Hotel is like an Art Gallery, well worth a visit

Room Tip: Top floor has the best views.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank CanViking
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear CanViking.

Thank you for the lovely review and keep the guests coming! I will look into this with the hot breakfast. We had this problem sometimes over a year ago but obviously we need to stay on top of these things. Thank you for pointing it out.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed here a week in April and a week in May. Great location for walking to the main shopping street and great restaurants and yet it is on a quiet street. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. They were always ready to answer questions or arrange a tour. The breakfasts were fab - lots of choices in a very classy wood-paneled dining room. The rooms were very clean. Modern bathrooms (with washcloths) that provided shampoo/conditioner and even toothpaste! Several different lounge areas with large comfortable leather furniture. Can't really think of any negatives - we will definitely stay here again if we return.

Room Tip: The lift only holds 2 people but it is very fast - don't hesitate to stay on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank byzorks
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear byzorks.

Perfect! Thank you for that lovely review. We´ll just try to keep it up forever then :)

Reviewed April 24, 2013

The hotel are in a small street not far from the city center. The room is clean and nice. The bed is ok. The restaurant at the hotel is very nice and has good food. The breakfast is from 07:00, be aware of this.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Johnny H.

Thank you for the review although I am disappointed in the average rating you give us since there is nothing you point out that we can improve on. Should breakfast start earlier than 7?

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We arrived early in the morning and were greeted warmly at the reception desk. We were given complementary breakfast and a place to store our luggage until our room was ready. Our room was on the second floor street side at the opposite end from the main entrance. The room was of ample size and nicely furnished. Complimentary WiFi, toiletries and a hair dyer were provided and pay mini bar was available. We had to open the windows due to the heating which would not have been an issue except the street below was busy with traffic, although it did quieten overnight. I would request a room in the back if staying more than one night. The location was in a residential area but walking distance to the main part of town with shopping and restaurants. We had dinner at The Gallery Restaurant. I had the roasted langoustine tails which I highly recommend. Last minute we asked about the northern lights and the receptionist told us that all of the buses were going out which was a good sign and offered to make us reservations which we accepted. We're glad we did as that was the only time we saw them during our entire trip and they were magnificent. We enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Holt and their staff were friendly and very attentive.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank marayga
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Marayga.

Thank you for the smashing review. We are delighted you enjoyed it. As with a couple of other reviews in recent months, you comment on the street noise. This is really a new problem for us so we will at least make sure we maintain a better standard on the heating so as not to force guests to leave the window open to any noise.

I still would maintain our hotel is the quietest in the center but knowing other guests elsewhere are having more difficulty sleeping is no consolation for you.

I hope to see you again at Hotel Holt and thank you again.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just returned from Hotel Holt in Reykjavik. This hotel was a great value. Good location, very nice breakfast, good common areas and very helpful staff. Really found Sigrun and Hera were excellent. Food in the restaurant was very good. Rooms were very clean. I would have liked an end table and would recommend a room in the rear because of the street noise. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JBC5248

Dear JBC5248.

Thank you for the lovelyl review. I assume that by end table you mean a nightstand? We have those in almost every room. A couple of them have a layout that doesn´t allow for it. I think your comment will give us that extra push to figure out another solution for that problem.
The traffic noise has been an issue once in a while this winter, it is a very big surprise for us as we are normally the most quiet hotel in the center. I would bet that we still are but the noise is getting worse these days. We´ll try to get a better balance of the heating to compensate since that would be the only solution right now. At least until the quiet electric cars start filling the streets :)

I very much welcome you to our hotel anytime in the future.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Lovely hotel and excellent restaurant.
Great location within walking distance of downtown Reykjavik.
The staff were, without exception courteous and willing to assist with any request.
I have no hesitation in recomending this hotel for your stay in Reykjavik.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 281kfish05
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Dear 281kfish05.

Thank you so much for your short and sweet review of the hotel and our services. I am glad you enjoyed it.

I hope to see you several more times at Hotel Holt.