“What a welcome!”

Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
London
“What a welcome!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Arrived at this hotel at 2pm on Saturday, to be told that the room I had booked (and paid for!) weeks before, was unavailable and that we would have to move to an extremely unimpressive looking hotel a few streets away.Although I was told at first that I had cancelled, then that they had lost my email address - neither true - it turns out that they had overbooked.
After a furious (on my part) argument, the manager was sent for; he arrived 25 minutes later (from home apparently-no manager on duty in the middle of the day!), we were upgraded to a small suite and a bottle of Cava(!) sent in apology. Now to me the extraordinary thing is: if they had overbooked and couldn't give us the room I had booked, why on earth, if they still had room in the hotel, they didn't offer the upgrade immediately. A very poor show, extremely unprofessional,a hugely disappointing end to our stay in Iceland, and therefore I cannot recommend this hotel .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Judy J
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Judy J.

Thank you for your review and please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. I am pleased to have this platform to reply although I fear it is too late to convince you of our intentions.

Let me make one thing very clear. We do not overbook the hotel as a rule. However, we do have a duty towards our staying guests and by law, we cannot kick them out if they need to stay longer for any reason. In your case, we had a long time return guest who had an accident and could not leave on Friday or Saturday so we did need to move someone to another hotel. From what I understand, our receptionist had a difficult time explaining that to you because of your upset state.

We usually do not need a manager on duty in our small hotel to manage the one member of staff we have in the reception on weekends since when these unfortunate situations arise, we usually are able to get the guest´s understanding and try to reward them accordingly. In your case, our Guest Service Manager was here well before the 25 minute wait you mention and did all he could to calm the situation.

You find it extraordinary that we had the room all along? We most certainly did NOT have the room for you all along. We simply had to complicate things and move other guests to the other hotel, which is more than acceptable as a competitor to us and within 2 minutes walk from our doors.

I am certainly not interested in profiting from your dissatisfaction so you will see a full refund of your stay in your account within a couple of weeks (it is already done but can take a couple of weeks to show up on your card statement).

I sincerely hope you were able to enjoy other parts of your journey in Iceland and we will use this unfortunate incident as a training item to improve our services in the future.

Snorri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Finnish first
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed here for a week for business 2 years ago. I had a great price from Expedia on the room ($40 USD/night), but my room was dingy and small. Hot pink carpeting. Breakfast was nice, but I found the lounge to be more stuffy than warm. Passes to the gym/pool are a plus, but you need a car to get to these of site locations.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear promo_jake.

Thank you for the pointers, although slightly unfair in my estimation to review a hotel 2 years after staying here.

We cannot do much about the size of the rooms, they are big enough for most but not big enough for some. We try to make up for that with our fantastic service. We are currently changing our carpets but this takes time when you are busy. Stuffy lounge? Sure isn´t nowadays at least. We have a nice mixture of hotel guests on business and leisure as well as plenty of locals from art schools and downtown revellers pass by.

I am trying to make a contract with the local indoor swimming pool to ensure free swimming for our guests within 7 minutes walk, but that is taking time. That is to address the distance between the hotel and the other option, which is worth the trip (Iceland´s largest fitness center and geothermal swimming pool).

I hope you will someday give us another try and see a big difference in experience since this is definitely not what we are aiming for.

england
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Having just arrived back in England after a 3 night stay at Hotel Holt with a few friends I have to say we had a fabulous time, the hotel was really clean with very helpful and friendly staff who actually booked our trips for us and were very patient when we were deciding on which ones to do. Food was lovely and the breakfast had a very good variety, drinks are a little pricey in the bar which I think is the only flaw in this hotel . Seems a bit dated i.e dark wood and lots and lots of artwork but I think this adds to the character of the hotel. Shops and bars are only a short walk away. Sadly we never got to see the colourful northern lights only a slight bright cloud but hey ho the blue lagoon and helicopter ride made up for that. Would like to go back in the not too distant future :)) Some of the activities may need booking before you arrive i.e dog sleighing which was so popular it was booked fully for the next 3 weeks so we missed out :((

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sharron S
Dear Sharron S.

Thank you for the glowing review of the hotel and our services. I would point out that we have Happy Hour from 4-7pm each day where the drinks are very cheap. Outside those hours, they are not far above what you see elsewhere, without the comfortable surroundings.

But I am glad to see you will be trying for the Northern Lights again and we look forward to opening our doors to you when you do.

london
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed at the Holt for 5 nights in January. Quiet location but only a few minutes walk to the main street for restaurants. Ask for a top floor room with balcony, they are much larger and the view across Reykjavik is lovely..especially if you are lucky enough to see the Aurora.
Breakfast had enough variety..toast, bacon, boiled and scrambled eggs plus continental foods, fruit and yogurt..to keep you going. We also ate at the restaurant at the hotel on the last night. There are better restaurants around at more reasonable prices. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms and sheets were clean and the beds comfortable. There was also free WiFi.
We would definitely stay at the Holt if we returned to Reykavik.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are larger
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RogueTrini
Dear ashti.

Thank you for the review. I am glad you enjoyed the room and our service culture. I would like to point out that the rooms on the 4th floor are not necessarily larger. It sounds like we might have upgraded you from a double room to a Jr.Suite with a balcony without informing you. At least, to ensure a double room with a balcony, our guests need to book a Jr.Suite. Those Jr.Suites are actually slightly smaller than the Jr.Suites without a balcony.

I am disappointed to see you enjoyed other restaurants in Reykjavík more than the Gallery Restaurant. We are the holders of the Nordic Prize on behalf of Iceland and at the top of our game, culinary wise. But of course, there are many great options and of course different palates.

I hope to see you again soon at Hotel Holt.

Glasgow
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Just back from a great stay here. A few pointers - looks dull and drab from outside but it is full of charm inside, if a little dated. Asked for a room with a view but didn't get one. Junior suit was ok but very warm.
Breakfast was fine and the reception staff very helpful

Stayed February 2013
2 Thank HappyScot3
Dear HappScot3.

Thank you for your short and sweet review through your mobile device. We appreciate it. We are fully aware that the outside of the hotel is not very current or appealing to all. We have decided to focus on what happens inside the hotel but eventually we will get to update the outside as well.

I´m sorry you didn´t get the room you requested. It has been an incredibly busy winter for us so, unfortunately, we have not been able to give everyone what they want all the time.

I hope you did like it enough to visit us again and we look forward to opening out doors to you again.

Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

In a quiet residential area this hotel is just a few minutes walk from the main shopping area and restaurants.
We were on the 4th floor on the front of the hotel. This afforded panoramic views of Reykjavik and, fortunately for us, a grandstand view of the Northern Lights from the comfort of our room or the small balcony outside.
At this time of year the balcony is an ideal spot to store drinks and keep them cool. The minibar is well stocked but requires a bank loan to enjoy it.
The bar is cosy but expensive, like all things in Iceland. We did not visit the hotel restaurant but it comes highly recommended.
Friendly and helpful staff compliment this comfortable hotel.
The city is an interesting mix of architectural styles with plenty of communist bloc concrete, slowly giving way to more modern glass structures and interspersed with older, quainter and colourful corrugated iron clad houses.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor at the front of the hotel offer the best views of the city, the mountains, su...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 1957Steve
Dear 1957Steve.

Thank you for the nice review. I will make a note of your criticism of our minibar prices. We do try to keep them lower than at other hotels but of course, this is always a significantly more expensive option than popping out to the supermarket. The same I have to say about our bar. The prices are similar to other bars in town except we are renowned for our happy hour from 4pm to 7pm each day. I would have liked to see you enjoy it at that time at least.

I´m glad you enjoyed the architecture in Reykjavík and hope you were able to enjoy the free ticket to the church tower we afford our guests.

We hope to welcome you soon again at Hotel Holt.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this wonderful property during my 4 days in Reykjavik, combining business with pleasure, read more of those in my other recommendations.
I arrived late evening and did not pay much attention, my first impression was that the hotel seemed somewhat worn.
After a good night sleep it seemed as my first impression was not as I thought. A nice ambience met me around the house, with one of the largest private art collections on Iceland, very friendly, service minded and most helpful staff and a nice breakfast buffet with your main needs of your breakfast.
The hotel bar is very charming with an open fire place with nice selection in the bar and seemed very busy during Fridays and Saturdays which for me says a lot! I had a nice room with basic TV, no pay TV, but hey you're on Iceland and you should be out and exploring. For those few hours to kill it had what I needed to see.
The rooms seems also a bit old but again, for me, it all had such a warm charm to it and you thought of forgot the small things but on the larger scale it all was very great to me! I slept perfect in the comfy beds, cleaning of the room was good as well.
Also in house they have a lovely fine dining restaurant, this will also be reviewed by itself.
I would love to go back and stay at this charming hotel with such a welcome home feeling!
The hotel is located close to Downtown Reykjavik where you have all major attractions in walking distance. During the summer should you get tired of walking you can take the hop on/off bus around Reykjavik as in many other big cities around the world.
There is free wifi in the entire hotel.

Room Tip: Would you like a balcony with a view choose one of the rooms on the 4th floor with city view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank TheTrueGreatDane
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Great Dane.

It was a true pleasure having you stay with us and we very much value your detailed review of the hotel and the Gallery Restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you again and again.