“Right Up There”
Review of Hotel Holt

Hotel Holt
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Don't be fooled by the shabby look on the outside. The hotel has a well appointed interior with some interesting paintings, comfy furnishings and private dining areas. The service has always been good here. My first room on the ground floor faced the dumpster so swapped for a 4th floor with balcony overlooking the town. Easy walk around town and down to the waterfront if desired. Pricey like all good hotels in Reykjavik. No fitness facility. Good internet services. Parking for about 10 cars on the side of the building and maybe a spot or two in front. Classy bar on floor 1 with a first rate breakfast. Would return again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank colflyer
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear colflyer.

Thank you for your nice review. I would like to correct you on the dumpster. We have no outside dumpster for the hotel. There may have been containers being moved out of the building for emptying and not taken back inside immediately. I can see how that would be an unattractive sight. I will address that with our waste management company.

We do have a fitness facility in the hotel although it is sparce. It consists of a stairmaster and a stationary bike. We are thinking about adding weights for those who want to do some light lifting. But all our guests have free access to the World Class fitness center which includes free access to the largest geothermal swimming pool in Iceland. I highly recommend you try it the next time you are in town.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you again and again.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

The Hotel Holt is decidedly old-fashioned; heavy wooden panelling, a lift with a door you manually open and close, art everywhere and an ambience of genteel yesteryear.

This is entirely positive; Iceland’s largest collection of art, great bathrooms with huge showerheads and quality toiletries, first class bedding and excellent food all make for a great stay.

We spent 3 nights there; our double room was exactly that – 2 rooms, one with a sofabed for my son, complete with safe and television as well as a toilet/shower. Our large room with comfortable double bed had a separate bathroom with an enormous bath.

Breakfast did not look promising but the scrambled eggs and bacon in an enormous silver salver dish were truly delicious. The fresh orange juice was delicious but we avoided the fish oil and its accompanying shot glasses were given a miss.

Fresh baked bread was first class, stilton and camembert were served at room temperature; fish, cold meats and yoghurt were all available along with soft and hard boiled eggs. Icelandic Rye bread is particularly excellent, as was the service from the young guy whose manners were faultless.

The dinner menu is priced accordingly, given the chef’s pre-eminence for French inspired cuisine.

A great hotel, located 5 minutes from a first class bakery and the main shopping street, but away from the weekend party zone.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Maxd11
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I have just spent 5 nights here and I cannot fault it.

The reception staff were happy to answer my constant questions each day about the Northern Lights trips, the weather etc.

The beer price is on par with the rest of Iceland, the 2 Happy Hours in the bar each night were much appreciated!

I never ate at the Hotel at night but this is only because I prefer fast food places which are all well within walking distance.

I have already looked into coming back in Feb 2013.

To cap off my stay I managed to catch the Northern Lights on my 4th night (the other 3 days the trips were cancelled due to weather).

• Stayed: November 2012
5  Thank AdamMusgrave
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was my first visit to Iceland, and I picked Hotel Holt based on price and location. After an overnight flight, the hotel staff graciously accommodated my early check-in and were helpful in many ways. My room was very quiet, clean and comfortable.
The lobby was a bit dark, but I suspect that might have been to feature the many wonderful pieces of art on the walls.
Every member of the staff was friendly and helpful. Absolutely no complaints there.
The buffet breakfast was wonderful. It was exactly the same every morning, but since it was my favorite things, I was satisfied.
The associated restaurant, the Gallery, was wonderful. I ate about half my meals there, which is unusual for me to do while traveling. I will review it separately.
Another review commented negatively regarding the smell of the water. This is typical of Icelandic hot water, which is geothermal in source. It has a very slight sulfurous nose, but I became used to it in just a few days.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Mike B
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We arrived on an overnight flight and as there was availability the hotel immediately placed us in our room - that was so greatly appreciated and rarely happens! The front desk staff are friendly and very helpful. The room was comfortable enough but the carpet and the furniture are dated- that said, the mattress is very comfortable and the linens are very clean and comfortable as well...so if you can get past the burgundy carpet and the dark wood furnishings you are in for a treat as you will be surrounded by exceptional artwork throughout the hotel. Do take the recommended tour with Gateway To Iceland as you will not regret it!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank luv2travelthree
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear luv2travelthree.

Thank you for your review. It is greatly appreciated. We are aware of the carpets being dated and we are actually looking at replacing some of them this January and then all of them next winter. The furniture is also under review. It´s tricky to make sure it´s modern but still classic but we are working on it and the timeline will be similar to the carpets.

I hope to receive you again soon after a little facelift.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed 2 nights en route from Europe back home to Canada. Staff was very friendly, room and hotel were certainly acceptable and provided an Icelandic experience. The hotel was located a short walking distance from the main street and close to a number of very nice restaurants. I would certainly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Reykjavik.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank uniacke28

Dear Uniacke28.
Thank you for your short and sweet review. You are certainly welcome to stay with us again as soon as possible.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We booked this hotel as the centrum was full on the last 2 nights of our visit and the reviews were positive. I have to say this is probably the worst hotel we have ever stayed in, the reception was dark and gloomy, the lift is one of these with no inner door and considered dangerous so most hotels replaced them many years ago. The hotel is not traditional, classic, period or any of the descriptions given, it is just outdated. The Furniture in the 'superior' room we had was from the late seventies, cheap and grubby looking. The only change appears to have been replacement magnolia wall paint at some time. The bathroom measured approx. 1.5 m x 2.0 m, I have never before been able to sit on loo and touch the opposite wall. There was a vile smell when the shower was turned on, reception claimed this was typical of Iceland as the water comes from under ground. When I explained that we had been in Iceland for a week and run water without this smell, they agreed it might be the fact that the shower drain was completely clogged with gunk that when disturbed gave off the smell. To resolve they poured a 'liquid' down the drain without removing the gunk, not surprisingly 24hours later the smell was back. The booking stated a welcome drink and free entry to 3 museums, neither materialised on arrival. On checking out the cost was more than the booking confirmation and was told that it was due to a change in the exchange rate and we would have to pay the cost requested. The windows and doors out onto the balcony did not keep out noise, every car and voice were heard clearly from outside even 3 floors up. It might have art but quite frankly if I wanted to see art I would visit a gallery, I prefer good accommodation. Cost wise, the hotel was overpriced for what seemed to us to be no more than 2 star standard. If you are visiting Rejkavik, stay at the Centrum we did for the 1st night and it was almost 1/2 the price and considerably better.

Stayed: October 2012
6  Thank Linda D
Valsson, Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear Linda D.

While there isa tiny bit of truth some of what you write, I am not going to waste too much time on replying to your very unfair review. You claim you did your research here on Tripadvisor but still seem to have expected a bright and colourful building with cool features typically found in much newer properties.

All bulidings experience plumbing problems at some point. It is regrettable that you were the victim of such an occasion but we certainly do everything we can to rectify problems such as that. What we don´t have is the possibility of ripping open drains while a guest is in house when we are at capacity so other solutions had to be tried.

The added value of booking directly can be claimed at front desk anytime during your visit but as these items all cost us money, we do not hand out free tickets to everyone if they might not be interested.

In regards to paying more than stipulated. That is all wrong. It is clearly stated in your confirmation that you pay in ISK according to the exchange rate at day of payment. The difference between what the exchange rate was when you booked and when you paid can vary slightly but it is never a significant amount that anyone would be inconvenienced from unless they are looking for more things to be unhappy about.

We have taken everything away from your review that we need to improve on and hope that you enjoy your stay elsewhere more appropriate for your taste in Reykjavík the next time you visit our fair city.