“Charming”

Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
London
“Charming”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Very happy with every aspect of the hotel - it has a huge amount of charm and personality, without ever being less than professional. Our room was a decent size and perfectly comfortable, the hotel decor was old-fashioned in the best sense of the word, and the staff were friendly and on the ball. My wife, son and I had a great stay, and one administrative hitch (a pre-payment that hadn't gone through before we arrived) was dealt with courteously and professionally. You can sort out the logistics of pretty much everything you might want to do in Reykjavik via the front desk, and it's also very handily located down a pretty side street right in the centre of the city. Very much recommended!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dleigh11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Finnish first
Kingston
Reviewed June 11, 2012

The somewhat anonymous exterior belies a traditional dark wood interior with much original artwork in the public areas. The dark wood extends to the interior decor of the rooms which is perhaps a little dated but showers/ bathrooms are up to date.

My wife son and i had a junior which was suitably spacious and available at a competitive rate. However we only stayed one night so unfortunately didn't get as much use of it as we would have liked. As it was we had to catch an early flight on Sunday morning and didn't really need the early morning call due to being kept wake all night by the noise from the constant stream of revellers in the street below on their way home from a night out. The hotel is well located close to the main shopping street and Hallgrímskirkja but in a residential area so we had expected it to be a little quieter than it was.

On the plus side the hotel had ample off street parking and complimentary coffee and juice waiting for us on checkout at 5.30am. All the staff were exceedingly friendly and efficient.

We would stay here again but maybe not on a Saturday night (or maybe ask for a room at the back not overlooking the street)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank wrocki
Valsson, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear wrocki.

Thank you for your kind words. I am surprised to see you were awake due to outside noise. I apologise for that. Our street is usually very quiet but you cannot always control everyone. However, if you would have given the front desk a call, I am sure we would have been able to investigate what was going on and remedied the inconvenience.

We are always more than happy to do all we can to accommodate requests for rooms facing away from the street but in general we have been able to pride ourselves on how quiet both sides of the house are.

I do hope you give us another try next time and we´ll make sure you have a full nights restful sleep.

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Hotel Holt made me feel welcome before I even left my living room. The GM (who seems to read and respond to many reviews which I really appreciate) contacted me in person when seeing my attempts to book and threw in the breakfast when he found out my husband and I will be celebrating our anniversary. We were warmly welcomed when we arrived at 9am and offered an upgrade to a regular suite (from jr) as well as breakfast right that morning, very unexpected. We liked the relative quietness of the residential area and a quick wall to downtown. There was plenty of free parking around (we are from NY, there is never parking anywhere).
I love light modern decor so the furniture in the suite was not my taste but everything was comfortable, the deep tub even accommodated the two of us. Front desk staff was super helpful- when I asked for the address of a restaurant we were going to the next night the young man didn't just write it down but explained that it is located in the back alley, saving us 10 min of wandering around. Hotel Holt was a wonderful way to start our stay in Iceland and to celebrate 21 years of marriage and many travel adventures.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ilasik
Dear ilasik.

Thank you so much for your glowing review of Hotel Holt. With our relative small size as a 41 room hotel, we have the opportunity to cater to our guest needs better than other large chain hotels and this is an advantage we try utilize. I don´t hesitate to boast that my Guest Service Team is the best in Iceland and they all get a kick out of anticipating guest needs and making your visit a memorable one as well as me walking around the whole hotel with candy everytime we get a 5 star review such as this one.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope to see at Hotel Holt again soon.
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed June 1, 2012 via mobile

Hotel Holt was great. It was wonderful being surrounded by nice art. Even the trip down the stairwell was fun, with a different artful surprise around every corner. I would try to get a room on the fourth floor facing the street for the sweeping view of the city.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amnornes
Dear Amnornes.

Thank you very much for your great review of the hotel. We are happy you enjoyed the largest privately owned art collection in Iceland and hope you will continue to visit us. We are also trying to be active in social media, so I suggest you follow us on Facebook if you like to follow what is happening on the Icelandic art and social scene (Hotel Holt, Reykjavik).
For everyone´s information, the rooms on the 4th floor with the view are 3 Jr.Suites and 3 basic single rooms. These all have balconies and on a good day you have one of the most impressive views of the city. Thanks for noticing.

DC
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We've just returned from 4 nights at the Hotel Holt and couldn't have enjoyed ourselves more. We had a very reasonably priced Jr. Suite with nice amenities and a "rainfall" shower plus deep bath.

For us the location was ideal. About four to five blocks away from Skólavörðustígur, one of the main streets in downtown Reykjavik (which funnels into the main downtown area for shopping, restaurants, museums, etc.)

Breakfast was not included in our room, which was fine becuase there was an excellent little bakery only two blocks away that satisfied all our morning needs in the way of nourishment at (sorry Hotel Holt) a considerable savings.

The lounge at the hotel was quite nice, as was the restaurant. But of particular note was the art throughout the building. From the public spaces including the hallways of the four floors, and into the rooms --- the art would be a destination alone. Some reproductions, but many original pieces that made for better viewing than some of what happened to be on display in a couple of the galleries.

Speaking of museums --- the National Gallery of Iceland which traces the development of Iceland over the years is a short and beautiful walk from the hotel. Rather than going into the downtown area as we did on the way there, it's almost directly across the in-town lake from the hotel. It literally took 10 minutes to walk back to the hotel after our visit to the museum.

The hotel is set in a residental area that was reasonably quite at all times. The rooms on the back side of the hotel away from the street are probably a bit quieter than those facing the front (which we had) just because of the occasional street traffic --- but we were not bothered at all. Also, because it's more residental, there's a large grocery store two blocks over and two blocks up where you can find most anything you might want or need.

Lastly, a shout-out goes to the staff of the Hotel Holt. To the person they were friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and very polite. Thank you to all for helping make our trip and our stay quite enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SWN
Dear SWN.

Couldn´t have enjoyed yourselves more, huh? Sounds like it´s all downhill from here for us :) . Thank you for your excellent review of our facilities and services. It is always a matter of great satisfaction to me when our guests feel compelled to share their experiences with the world.

The Bernhöfts-bakery down the street certainly is a great option. I can´t argue with that. But they do not offer the same breakfast or service as us. I wholeheartedly recommend them over us if all you are looking for is a piece of pastry, perhaps the traditional Icelandic twisted doughnut, and a cup of takeaway coffee. Our breakfast buffett, with scrambled eggs and bacon among other things is more varied and more expensive but it is always good to have choice.

I am glad to see you enjoyed our art collection and some of the museums in the area and thank especially for showing you appreciation for my hard working and dedicated staff. They never get enough of reading about it and seeing that I´m aware of it.

We look forward to welcoming you at Hotel Holt the next time you are in town :)
Saundersfoot, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We spent 4 days in Reykjavik last week, as a surprise birthday present, which included whale watching, the blue lagoon, waterfalls, geysers - all of which were stunningly memorable in their own way and the Gallery Restaurant, in the Holt Hotel in Reykjavik was another awesome experience to be relished.

The decor was beautiful, with amazing, original paintings covering the walls. The ambience and lighting were conducive to a wonderful evening, together with sublime food served by an excellent maitre d' called Marco - we felt we were in heaven! Do not leave Reykjavik without eating in this wondrous place. Marco and his team are doing a first class job with prices that were not completely off the graph but reflected the quality and work the chef had put into the presentation of the food. We would love to go back there one day! Takk!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Welsh-Cariad
Valsson, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear Welsh-Cariad.

Thank you for the high praise of our restaurant. I know Marco and his team would appreciate it even more if you could put it in the restaurant section on Tripadvisor so they may enjoy higher ratings there.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Holt the first night of our stay in Iceland. It was very charming inside, though, as many people have commented, could use some updating in the room decor. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We had breakfast here, but would recommend going elsewhere. It was expensive but not expansive. While it was a fairly quiet street, I was woken up in the wee hours by drunk singing outside. The location was great, though. Downtown is very accessible by foot. Overall, we had a great stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JLRuckus
Valsson, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear JLRuckus.

Thank you for your positive review. As I have mentioned before, we are working on updating our rooms but it is a slow process as we do not want to abandon what we feel like is our signature charm for something totally new and modern. I am continually looking for little things to improve guest experiences and add value to the stay so any and all recommendations are welcome.

I´m sorry you did not enjoy the breakfast. We are also working on that but I have been looking at breakfasts with most of our competitors and seeing if there are areas for improvement. I can tell you that our breakfast is the lowest priced for a 4 star hotel in the center of the city. Any significant increase in expansiveness, would mean that it would be more expensive unfortunately.

We pride ourselves on being on a quiet but central street but of course you can never completely ensure you don´t have a couple of rowdy passers by singing the night away. It does happen once in a while but certainly not as often as elsewhere in the city.

I hope to see you again soon at Hotel Holt and get your feedback on how things have improved.