“In between average and very good”
Review of Hotel Holt

Hotel Holt
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed December 12, 2011

We stayed at the Holt for 3 nights in early December during our first visit to Iceland. It was my sister's birthday and being impressed by the other reviews I informed reservations about the occasion but they didn't arrange anything special on our arrival. Overall it was fine and we had no major complaints, however I would probably choose somewhere a bit more fresh and vibrant next time.

Negatives
Too expensive so we never used the bar or restaurant - breakfast was included but as we were checking out very early on the last day we were told that we could get only juice, coffee and biscuits; any packaged breakfast (i.e. a cheese sandwich) would be charged additionally at 20 euro per person!!
Rather stuffy and dark with heavy furniture and the quirky art displays didn't do much for us; could do with a refurbishment and some TLC
Breakfast plentiful but if you like your warm food, choice is limited to fried bacon & very salty scrambled eggs.
Positives:
excellent location, quiet yet very central
very clean throughout
comfy beds
nice and helpful staff.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Sgrillus
Valsson, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2011

Dear Sgrillus.
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am glad to see that the negatives seem to be overshadowed by the positives in the overall rating but I would like to answer some of the negatives:
-I am very sorry to see that no special arrangement was made for your sister´s birthday. We usually try to surprise our guests when there is a special occasion to celebrate. I will look into that with my Guest Service Manager.
-Breakfast is served from 7am to 10am in a buffet style. This is what is included in your rate if you book a rate with breakfast included. If you require a breakfast outside of that period, that comes at a cost since that comes at a cost to us also, both packaging and labor. However, the cost would have been 2000isk total for 2 people which comes to around 7euros per person. Something must have been lost in translation there.
-The restaurant and bar, while upscale, have several options for those who don´t want to break the bank. Our set menus and happy hour will give any other fine dining option a run for their money and then some. December, however, is a Christmas month and this means the menu is a little bigger in most Reykjavik restaurants and therefore it is a little more expensive than usual but absolutely worth it.
-I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy our art collection and decor. As ever, you can´t please everyone and our unique style is definitely not on offer elsewhere in Reykjavík. Most of our guests enjoy the overall ambiance of the hotel so you need not worry about anyone else in Reykjavík having the same on your next visit.

We will continue to strive for perfection and reach "very good" as opposed to "average". We would welcome the chance to impress you on your next visit to Reykjavík and give you a little background on our art collection to give you a better insight into what it means to the culture and heritage of the city.
Snorri Valsson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,135)

Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed here for a week in November. Hotels are not cheap in Reykjavik so we thought we may as well pick a good one. As we were here for a week we booked a Junior Suite as we thought the extra space would make our stay more comfortable.

Check in was prompt and we made our way to the room. The lift is of the old fashioned variety which I found quite quirky!The Junior Suite was a good size with a huge bed, sofa, desks, chairs and a balcony with a lovely view of Reykjavik. The bathroom was big enough with a walk in shower. There was no bath but this is no big deal.

The first thing that struck me and stayed with me through the week is how clean the hotel is. The rooms was spotless and was returned to pristine condition every day. The public areas were equally clean. I don't know what they used on the carpets but they looked like they had been deep cleaned every single day!

The bar had a dark wood look. There were various speciality spirits in cabinets on the wall which I considered sampling, before finally coming to my senses and realising that £100 for a shot of whiskey is out of the question, even if I am in holiday! The bar itself offered a good choice of drinks which were not out of keeping with the prices you would pay around Reykjavik.

We ate at the Gallery Restaurant one night. We both went for the Chefs Menu. The food was excellent. My partner didn't eat a large part of her main. The waiter came back to ask on behalf of the chef if there was anything wrong with the food. The beef was a little underdone for her liking which was our fault as we should have clarified beforehand, but it was nice that the staff cared enough to ask. We found the service and ambiance very formal but I think we expected this.

Aside from the comfortable room and cleanliness, the staff at this hotel were extremely helpful. I don't think a day went by without us making enquiries or requests from the staff and they helped us with everything. This is one of the advantages of staying at a Hotel over an apartment and we took full advantage of it.

We didn't sample the breakfast. It wasn't included in our rate and we were either setting off early on trips or getting up late due to a touch too much alcohol the night before. There is a bakery a couple of minutes on the road (which a receptionist recommended to us) where you can get a good breakfast for a tenth of the price.

Overall, a comfortable, clean, classic hotel with fantastic service!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tones-and-Sue
Valsson, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2011

Dear Tones and Sue.

Thank you so much for your wonderful and detailed review of your stay. All the points you touch on are things that we rigorously try to maintain a high standard on and it is very rewarding to see that guests appreciate our efforts.

I will be sure and give a special compliment on your behalf to our housekeeping manager, Edda, who has been the envy of other hotels for her 26 years here. I´ll also make sure both our front desk and restaurant staff hear of your satisfaction.

We hope to welcome you again someday but in the meantime we wish you a wonderful upcoming holiday season.

Reviewed October 19, 2011

The three things I will remember most about Hotel Holt are:
1) Above all, the amazing service. Just perfectly kind and knowledgeable service from Natasha, Jay, Alba, everyone at reception, every staff person I interacted with.
2) The breathtaking art. The hotel itself is quite beautiful, but then also every inch of it is adorned with beautifully curated art. I mean, there is even a modern sculpture in the stairwell.
3) That it has a restaurant that is even more excellent a restaurant than this fantastic hotel is a hotel.

P.S. My junior suite was huge, with a WC with a shower, PLUS a separate room with a bath. An actual bath room. It tickled me endlessly. I had a perfect stay at Hotel Holt, and I will stay there again when I return to Iceland.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank jeannette777
Valsson, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2011

Dear Jeannette.

Thank you so much for your lovely review and especially for naming the staff that helped make your stay special. That certainly helps us in rewarding them and showing them that they are an example for others to follow.

We hope to welcome you again in the future to Hotel Holt.

Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stayed three nights at the Hotel Holt in early October 2011. The hotel is peaceful, clean and welcoming. The breakfast was more than copious. There was a small tour group staying at the hotel with a couple of loud, obnoxious people; including the tour guide. They were irritating at breakfast, but that was the worst of the time.

The bar/lounge is comfortable and capacious. The bar staff is charming and friendly. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant though it has a high reputation.

The hotel is just far enough off the main streets to miss the very late night revelry that appears to be a regular item every weekend: even our bar maid, a charming young woman, said she had been out until 5am the night before.She looked none the worse for wear.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JMLVermont
Valsson, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

Dear Guest.
Thank you so much for you positive review of Hotel Holt and Gallery Restaurant. I am glad we were able to enhance your overall experience of Reykjavík and that you enjoyed the services we offer. I will be sure to share your satisfaction with the entire staff.

Reviewed October 9, 2011

We had a res at Hotel Odinsve. We were notified they were overbooked, and would we mind being upgraded, at no add'l charge, to Hotel Holt, nearby. Sure, no problem. Holt is old, but impeccably maintained......great old artwork and furniture. Helpful front desk, good breakfast. Good location. Only neg is the rooms are small, ala much of Europe.

Room Tip: Off the street side...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CaptainLee
Reviewed September 30, 2011

we stayed here for four nights, and found the hotel to be the perfect base for our stay in Reykjavik. In a quiet street, just 5 minutes walking distance to town hall and Hallgrimskirkja, Besides its classic interior, this hotel features (according to their homepage) Icelands largest privately owned art collection. I can say that we were "discovering" new pieces every day. The room had the right size for our stay and was probably the cleanest I have ever stayed in so far. Breakfast offers a nice selection of everything you want for a good start of your day, and the Gallery Restaurant is outstanding. Best of all though, is the staff. They are extremely attentive, very courteous, handle all requests very professional and with a smile. This having been our second time in Iceland, we no longer have to question ourselves which hotel to book when we return (which we definitely will). It cannot become better.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank hotellme
Valsson, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2011

Great review! Thank you for sharing your enjoyment with others. It is especially satisfying to see that our staff is doing all they can to maximize your Hotel Holt experience. I will be sure to share this with our entire team.

Warm regards from a cooling down Iceland,
Snorri Valsson

Reviewed September 7, 2011

I've visited Hotel Holt several times over the past 10 years. The staff is polite and efficient. They have accomodated the needs of my colleagues as required. The neighborhood is charming. I find my experiences at Hotel Holt pleasurable. My only complaint is that during the summer, with street activity due to the white summer nights, it was occassionally a bit loud outside.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business