“Great location - nice hotel - average sleep”

Hotel Borg by Keahotels
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Houston, Texas
“Great location - nice hotel - average sleep”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed here in June which means there is daylight nearly 22 hours. Reykjavik comes alive in the summer and this hotel is located on a beautiful park in the middle of the city. This means the location is superb for sightseeing and restaurants but not so great at 0300 when you are jetlagged and the noise from the street is very loud and there are no black out curtains. I have stayed at several other hotels in Reykjavik in the summer and if you want peace and quiet at night I recommend you stay out of the main areas of the city. However, this hotel is very nice and accommodating. If you are travelling with a group over 2 and want more for your money, I recommend you stay at one of the numerous apartment style hotels for more room. There are no real hotel amenities at this hotel as is the case for most hotels in Reykjavik and the price is high for what you get compared to the apartment hotels.

Room Tip: If you need a good nights sleep during the summer I do not recommend this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Room 104 sits directly over a night club open past three am. Totally too loud. Not worth the money. Stay somewhere else for less money. Hotel has less charm than people say. Other hotels are just as centrally located and the entire tourist area can be walked in a few minutes anyway.

As of yet no remedy has been provided.

R

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank RajNYC60763
London
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

On arrival at the Hotel Borg, I must admit, that I felt the 'welcome' from the staff at the Reception was polite but very cool. Our suite was roomy and spotlessly clean- no complaints! My only gripe was they had no gluten free bread for my partner who is a coeliac, although this seemed to be a 'problem' wherever we ate or shopped for food. I had informed the hotel of him being a coeliac before our arrival, and by their response to my email, I knew it would be a problem but he managed.
Now to the Hotel Borg restaurant, which I would like to say from the outset, is NOT anything to do with the hotel, which I found out as we left the hotel! This is very important to note as what I'm about to write is not totally complimentary about the restaurant.
The restaurant is in the same dining area as where breakfast is served and looks no different to when you walk in for breakfast. Now when to are paying close on 30,000Kr (approx £200) for two courses, Irish coffee and a bottle of wine, I would expect the table to be dressed with at least a table cloth. The waiters very, very attentive to the point of being somewhat intrusive and annoying, (apart from one, a Spanish waiter we think, who was excellent). But in their defense they were very young waiters who were, I suppose, trying their best.
As for the food, my langoustine fish cakes were very tasty although they were missing the mushroom, apart from a small, transparent, quarter of a piece. My partner's lamb starters was laughable for the price.. Three cocktail sticks, with transparent pieces of cold lamb, twisted around on a bed of salad. Avoid this dish at all cost- no way worth the princely cost of it! For the main dish we both had the cod dish. This was a beautifully presented and large, but it was a coldish and tasteless piece of cod. The overpowering taste was the orange sauce, which I enjoyed, but my partner didn't. It was when we ordered the Irish coffees the 'fun' began. We asked for the whiskey to be replace with brandy ie. making the Irish coffee into a Parisienne coffee. We were told this was fine. When the over attentive waiter came with a choice of brandy I did have fleeting moment of worry. What turned up was two Irish coffees and a glass of brandy. I politely said that we didn't order a glass of brandy and he took it away. Two minutes later, after I had asked my partner if his coffee tasted of anything other than coffee, the waiter appear to inform us that they had made a mistake and had not put brandy in the coffee. Absolutely fine we said, we all make mistake we thought, and it was no problem. The waiter took these coffees away and replaced them with new coffees.... that again tasted of nothing but coffee. We didn't make a fuss, blaming it on the staff being young and saying that they had 'tried their best'.
On receiving our bill, I noticed that we had not only been charged for the coffees (absolutely correctly) but also 7,600kr, (approx -could be 7,900 Kr- I can't remember the exact amount now), for one shot of brandy. This is a cost £46 for one shot!!! No I know Iceland is expensive BUT..! At no point had we ever been informed that there would be an extra charge for the brandy. Nowhere ever in the world, (and we have dined in 'hole of the wall cafés' to some of the finest restaurants in the world), have we been charge for swapping whiskey to brandy! I challenged this cost and to cut a very, very long, hour long dispute, short in the end the very young Maître'd threw (yes threw!), like a petulant teenager, 3000Kr (the cost of the coffees???) back at me. At that point I left it because it was not the money that was in dispute, as such, but the principal that we had not been informed of the charge, ( we, luckily, can afford this cost, but supposing we could not? If we had not been made aware of the cost at any time why should we, or anyone, have to pay!). However, At this point, I let the matter drop as it was now late at night, until...........checkout.......
On being asked by the reception staff the next morning how our stay had been, I said lovely, apart for the incident the night before. The receptionist enquired why and I explained. She went to talk to, I think the Maître'd from the night before, as she said to me that this was not correct. When she came back, having had no joy, another receptionist went...even though I said to leave it. Whilst I was waiting, the first receptionist actually admitted, and in her words, that the Maître,d had an 'attitude problem' and that the restaurant has nothing to do with the hotel. The second receptionist returned saying that that the matter now would be taken to the maître'd's manager and that the hotel would refund me the extra 4000Kr, as this was wrong. They then asked me for my email incase the restaurant insists I should pay.....the whole incident, for what is meant to be a very good restaurant, advertised in a whole page spread in the Icelandic Air airline, on board magazine, as being one of the best restaurants in Reykjavik, is farcical. I would certainly not return to the restaurant.

Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Charli21
Cambridgeshire, England
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

In the centre of Reykjavik and just a few minutes walk from both the harbour and the main shopping street the hotel is well located. The flybus drops you right outside from the airport. The reception staff are very helpful and sorted out our return journey to the airport for us. The rooms are very spacious with free wifi and incredibly comfy beds. The smell of sulphur from water in the taps takes a bit of getting used to but I suspect the same is true for all hotels in Iceland - make sure you take plenty of hair conditioner with you as you will need it!! We didn't eat in the hotel but just over the road is Cafe Paris which is great for breakfast or brunch and there is a small 24 hour supermarket just around the corner. Thoroughly recommended.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank emm1473
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a four night stay at the Hotel Borg with my son. The location is fantastic--we were able to walk everywhere. The room was quite nice, on the third floor overlooking a park. The staff were very helpful and friendly. I would stay there again

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in early February and I would highly recommend it. Our room was ready when we arrived at about midday, we were expecting to have to wait a few hours. The room was on the 4th floor and had a large balcony overlooking the square in fromt of the hotel, the room was spacious and comfortable, the bathroom was small but that was not a problem. Our trip was for my husband's 50th birthday and I had told the hotel this when I booked, they surprised us by bringing a bottle of Cava to our room which we thought was a lovely gesture. The art deco style of the hotel is very nice and suits the building. We didn't have breakfast as it seemed a bit expensive at about £50 for the 3 days we were there but the choice of food looked impressive

Room Tip: Ask for a high room if you want one overlooking the square as there are several bars which get busy...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Zoe G
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

We spent three nights here before and after a tour. Excellent hotel. Room was terrific with wonderful bath and comfortable bed. We overlooked party central on Friday and sat nights which was a bit loud but keeping the window shut helped. Wifi was free and excellent. Best wifi I've had any where around the world. The breakfast was plentiful. Had dinner in the Borg restaurant with excellent food. Great location within walking to harbor and other sites.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple