$273
  • Restaurant
Fosshotel Baron(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
$180
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $212/night.

$351
$278
Hilton
$271
$263
1,297 results
All reviewsart decooverlooking the squarenew wingbeautiful hotelcafe parisparliament buildingperfect locationroom was largeunderfloor heatingthe heart of the citybreakfast buffetwithin easy walking distancerestaurants and barscentral reykjavikblackout curtainsblue lagoonnorthern lights
Reviewed July 7, 2012

HOTEL REVIEW # 213 Borg

MY TRAVEL STYLE: If possible, I try to stay away from business hotels and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences. YOU MUST LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS OF ICELAND HOTELS AND NONE WILL REALLY IMPRESS A VERY SEASONED TRAVELER.

LOCATION: Excellent. One a main square in the heart of town. Tons of shops and restaurants surround the hotel

BEST WAY TO GET THERE: Taxi from Int’l airport is about 45 minutes and about US$120. Domestic airport is about 10 minutes and 2000 ISK (US$16).

TYPE OF ROOM: Standard.

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: Bed was the best we had in Iceland out of about 6 hotels. Sheets were luxurious but not as good as the hotel 101 (but the mattresses were much better). Pillows were down and excellent.

LIGHTING: Adequate in bathroom and room.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Great shower pressure and consistent water temperature. Rain shower or hand held only. Large room for a bathroom in Iceland.

TOILETRIES: Nice but nothing too special.. probably best to bring your own.

CLEANLINESS: Room was clean but needing a detailing. Dust was noticed in many parts of the room and the filter in the ceiling in that bathroom was disgusting.

A/C: No AC in Iceland… opening a window should help but only one window opens and only a couple of inches. We were uncomfortably too hot which made sleep very difficult.

STYLE OF ROOM: Stylish room was very comfortable

COMMON AREA: None other than a small lobby with a couple of couches (not a place to hang out) and dining area.

QUIET/MORNING LIGHT: Our side of the hotel was relatively quiet… we could hear people on the street around midnight. Morning light couldn’t not be blocked 100% so be prepared to try and sleep with sunlight in the room (common in Iceland hotels in the summer for some reason).

FOOD: Didn’t eat here but enjoyed breakfast one block away at Laundromat (OK food, great atmosphere). Hotel wanted 18E for breakfast (buffet only).

TV/INTERNET: TV was a bit small but worked well. Internet worked in room with adequate speed and at no charge).

SERVICE: Front desk staff was very nice but manager failed to call back with a solution to a problem.

SUMMARY: We stayed at both the Borg and the 101 Hotel. I like the Borg better in terms of comfort and atmosphere although I usually prefer the ‘hip’ design hotels (ie 101). The 101 felt like they tried too hard and failed, was too dark, and just failed to deliver. However, our sleepless night due to not having AC, a fan, or a window that opened much at the Borg made me wish I was sleeping in any other hotel. If I was to come back, I would try booking one of the luxury apartments for rent in the B&B section of TripAdvisor. They look nice, probably are less expensive, and less expensive too.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TravelSnob1
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Far and away the very best hotel my fiancee and I stayed at during our 5 days in southern Iceland. Beautiful decor, perfect location, perfect service, great room and bathroom. If you can swing the price get a room with a private balcony overlooking the park. I'm puzzled why this is ranked #9 among Reyjavik hotels - from what I read I would rank it clearly #1. We can't wait to go back and may return for our honeymoon. Kenneth Porter

Room Tip: Great rooms with private balconies overlooking park
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kenneth P
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Stayed here recently as part of a group traveling around the world on the annual travel adventure competition known as The Global Scavenger Hunt. This was a perfect place to stay...walking distance to all the city sites, good late night bars nearby, comfortable and spacious rooms, great service...and of course those extra friendly Islanders. Takk Fyrir.

Room Tip: Pass on the exotic whale meat dishes...aside from the taboo part--it is just not very good! Also, stay away from any Black Death drinks...it can only turn out bad!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank William C
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Our stay at Borg Hotel was great! We had a 5th floor room overlooking the shopping district, with king size bed, soaking tub, heated floor, etc. It's in a central and lovely location with just a few minutes walking distance to the harbor or shopping district and many restaurants. The art deco style is elegant. It was exceedingly clean.

We had to use the laundry service which was expensive, but what can you do when you need it?

My only gripe is that the "concierge" they claim to have is a 3-ring binder filled with brochures.

Very slow, weak Wi-Fi.

The staff was reserved but most, but not all, friendly and helpful.

We had no sulfurous hot water Issues some have written about. We didn't experience any hot water losses either.

The breakfast buffet was expensive, as is all food in Iceland, but included something for everyone and was very convenient. It included: scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, various breads, cereals, granola, petite pastries (very good,) some fresh fruits, juices, and then the traditional meats, cheese, vegetables, hard boiled eggs. Coffee was excellent and delivered to the table in a carafe. Otherwise we isn't get a chance to try the restaurant. In fact I wasn't even sure it was operating other than breakfast. Many restaurants close very early in the evening, so it might have been that issue.

Except for an exceedingly loud, rude group of drunks who were on our floor the last night (not the hotels fault,) our stay was lovely and the hotel quiet and very clean. I would stay here again, definitely.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BurghGirl71
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I had a fantastic time at this hotel. The most comfy bed (and huge!) I've ever had in a hotel, excellent black out curtains for deep sleeping, a huge shower head and jacuzzi bath was a dream. Quiet. Very quiet. We were on the 4th floor facing the front which is a big green square so perhaps that's why I never heard anyone moving around. i found the staff pleasant and helpful.

My only gripe was that we arrived so early in the morning and there was just no budging on check in times. Which, fine, I understand you have to get the room ready, we just had hours to kill and apparently the room sat there empty while we lay shattered in the lobby. Well, that ended up being a minor complaint because this hotel treated us very nicely, helped to set up tours of the surrounding area. I'd stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple