“Cold first day in Reykjavik...”

Islenski Hesturinn, The Icelandic Horse - Riding Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The horse rental in Reykjavík, Iceland. Small family firm with personal service.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We were picked up by Svenn in the afternoon. A short 15 minute drive took us out to the farm where Inga greeted us in a warm little cottage. Charming people they are...we felt so at home. Inga in her soft enthusiastic voice told us the story of Icelandic Horses and the proper way to ride them. After that she checked each of us (3) and assessed what we needed on the ride. She made sure we were properly outfitted. Please, though, come prepared and wear warm gear and if its wet, have layers with waterproof jacket. They do provide boots and other essentials but its nice to have your own things and saves time. Do not bring gear if it has touched other foreign horses though. Inga is such a patient lady and she answered all our questions with a smile. During the ride they took pictures of us which turned out really nice. Alomg the way you will hear more stories about the landscape and even get to try out the tolt! Very wonderful family owned business and they LOVE what they do. They deeply care about their horses and this was important to me that they were not just exploiting them. Please use these guys and no one else if you want a genuine Icelandic experience!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

What a great way to spend a morning or afternoon in Iceland (just outside of Reykjavik)! I had originally booked one of their tours for the day I arrived, but it had to be canceled due to high winds. So the only other option was my last day, and there it was between the Blue Lagoon or a horseback ride. I picked the ride and never looked back. Begga and her family are fantastic hosts and genuinely nice people and it quickly becomes clear that they love what they do. The horses are beautiful and clearly well-cared for and happy. I understand that this is one of the smaller riding outfits around Reykjavik, which means smaller tours and more personal service. It also means you don't just ride in one line the entire time, but have more freedom to move around (though with limited riding experience, it's the horse more than the rider that determines where to go :)). We also got to try the tolt (special gait that only the Icelandic horse can do) for some stretches, and it was completely comfortable despite the fact that everyone in the group had limited to no riding experience. The tour goes through interesting terrain in the surrounding hills and lava fields and Begga did a great job pointing out different features of the landscape, the names of mountains etc.
We went out on a particularly cold day, but were provided overalls and gloves for protection. One note, if you do take the tour in winter, I'd try to wear 2 pairs of gloves, as your hands will otherwise be freezing, especially as you're trying to hold the reins correctly and trying to focus on getting the horse to do what you're asking it to do.
Altogether, I would definitely recommend Islenski Hesturinn for a wonderful experience and a very interesting introduction to these amazing horses!

1  Thank LMGirl
Reviewed November 13, 2013

The whole experience with the Icelandic horse was amazing.Begga was very informative and so devoted to these incredible horses. It was a beautiful way to end my visit to Iceland with a morning ride;the scenery,the horses and the caring professional owner of this stable.Low and behold I received my email pics of the ride two weeks after returning home,thanks Begga,I loved them!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

What a wonderful morning we had with these people!! Welcoming, happy, caring, professional. Excellent facilities and most importantly cared for horses.

I am an experienced rider and can honestly say this was the best riding experience I've ever had from a 'trekking/riding trip' either in the UK or abroad. No mere plod around, we rode out around the interesting lava fields with two guides, who had the best interpersonal skills - dare I say it than anywhere I've been in UK. They both spoke English (and several other languages) fluently.

We were picked up on time, offered clothing and equipment (helmets/gloves/boots/overalls) shown the basics (one lady had only been on one previous riding experience - a complete novice), matched with our horses (absolutely NEVER referred to as ponies :)) and away we went for a full 2 hours ride out.

The horses were willing, kind, gentle, trustworthy and....well long story short I wanted to take mine home!!

They even went out of their way to drop us at a Whale Watching Tour we'd booked to make sure we were there on time.

Begga and Sven were wonderful to their guests AND to their horses. If you've never ridden before this is probably THE place to give it a go. I thoroughly enjoyed our morning, as did my boyfriend who has ridden a few times AND so did the lovely lady who'd only ridden once. It really is a great experience no matter what level of equine contact you've had previously.

Oh and very fairly priced too!!

I'd also like to mention I was concerned that at 5'10" and over 13 stone in all my winter clothing that these 'ponies' couldnt cope. All I can say is these are HORSES in all but stature. Sure footed, confident, safe and kind. I never at anytime felt that he was struggling (in fact quite the opposite).

Now is your chance!! Dont miss it!

2  Thank Rachel C
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We had an amazing time on this trip. When we arrived at the stables we met Becka who owns the place, she spoke to us about the horses and got an understanding of our experience, she matched us to the best horses to make sure we got the best out of the trip. Becka fully explained about Icelandic horses, how they differ from other horses and went through how to hold the reins, how our feet needed to be in the stirrups etc which was very informative. Becka was very friendly and put us at ease. We met our horses and had a chance to get to know them before we went riding. When we went out we had an amazing time, looking at the Icelandic scenery whilst enjoying the ride. We really had a great time, the horses were well looked after and happy, something that can make all the difference to your experience. I would definitely recommend this trip.

1  Thank Steff S