“Best Holiday Riding Experience I've Had!!”

Islenski Hesturinn, The Icelandic Horse - Riding Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The horse rental in Reykjavík, Iceland. Small family firm with personal service.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Manchester, United Kingdom
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Best Holiday Riding Experience I've Had!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

What a wonderful morning we had with these people!! Welcoming, happy, caring, professional. Excellent facilities and most importantly cared for horses.

I am an experienced rider and can honestly say this was the best riding experience I've ever had from a 'trekking/riding trip' either in the UK or abroad. No mere plod around, we rode out around the interesting lava fields with two guides, who had the best interpersonal skills - dare I say it than anywhere I've been in UK. They both spoke English (and several other languages) fluently.

We were picked up on time, offered clothing and equipment (helmets/gloves/boots/overalls) shown the basics (one lady had only been on one previous riding experience - a complete novice), matched with our horses (absolutely NEVER referred to as ponies :)) and away we went for a full 2 hours ride out.

The horses were willing, kind, gentle, trustworthy and....well long story short I wanted to take mine home!!

They even went out of their way to drop us at a Whale Watching Tour we'd booked to make sure we were there on time.

Begga and Sven were wonderful to their guests AND to their horses. If you've never ridden before this is probably THE place to give it a go. I thoroughly enjoyed our morning, as did my boyfriend who has ridden a few times AND so did the lovely lady who'd only ridden once. It really is a great experience no matter what level of equine contact you've had previously.

Oh and very fairly priced too!!

I'd also like to mention I was concerned that at 5'10" and over 13 stone in all my winter clothing that these 'ponies' couldnt cope. All I can say is these are HORSES in all but stature. Sure footed, confident, safe and kind. I never at anytime felt that he was struggling (in fact quite the opposite).

Now is your chance!! Dont miss it!

2 Thank Rachel C

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

We had an amazing time on this trip. When we arrived at the stables we met Becka who owns the place, she spoke to us about the horses and got an understanding of our experience, she matched us to the best horses to make sure we got the best out of the trip. Becka fully explained about Icelandic horses, how they differ from other horses and went through how to hold the reins, how our feet needed to be in the stirrups etc which was very informative. Becka was very friendly and put us at ease. We met our horses and had a chance to get to know them before we went riding. When we went out we had an amazing time, looking at the Icelandic scenery whilst enjoying the ride. We really had a great time, the horses were well looked after and happy, something that can make all the difference to your experience. I would definitely recommend this trip.

1 Thank Steff S
Milton, Wisconsin
183 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 244 helpful votes
“Highlight of our trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Sven picked us up & took us to their stables. As others have said, this is a FIRST CLASS operation! We had heard so much about the Icelandic Horses that we couldn't wait to experience the riding gait that this wonderful horse is known for! Begga was so enthusiastic when talking about her horses! She is very informative about riding and safety always comes first! We were well fitted for our helmets. They had riding suits, gloves, boots and a hat to wear under the helmet to keep us warm, so didn't have to worry about clothes getting dirty unless you wanted to. Both Sven, Begga and 2 other ranch hands joined us on the trail, so everyone had plenty of attention given to them. I had grabbed the reins incorrectly about half way thru and Sven was there to assist me. When we were trotting, he pulled aside to help me understand how to get the horse to "trostt", amazingly more comfortable than trotting!! As others have said, the Icelandic Horse is amazing and you will want to have one after experiencing their demeanor and extra gates. I can't even imagine what riders go thru when they compete internationally and then have to sell their beloved horse since they are not allowed to bring them back .... it must be heart wrenching. Please, go visit Sven, Begga and their beloved horses! You will be delighted and enamored by what they do! As Begga told us, "i love what I do, so i don't feel like I go to work!" I can't wait to see the pictures they took of all of us!

1 Thank Karen B
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Bargain price for the service received”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

We booked this before we went to Iceland as we keep and breed horses in the UK, we are so glad we did. The tour was faultless Sven picked up on time and took us (two) and one other person to the stables. We were greeted with by all the staff with huge smiles. We were briefed extremely well and learned all about the only breed of horse in Iceland was the Icelandic horse. It is illegal to import ANY horse to Iceland and even exported Icelandic horses can NEVER return. ("A one way ticket"). This is due to the horses not being vaccinated (they don't need to be due to strict rules like - An important word of warning. DO NOT BRING ANY RIDING GEAR FROM YOUR COUNTRY - it will get confiscated at the airport and destroyed). All gear is provided free. Including thermal boiler suits and boots. One thing I must say is even though it was 2oC today whilst riding due to these suits, bandannas and boots we were warmest on this tour than any any other. It should also be noted that most tours in Iceland are heavily weather dependant the northern lights tour and the whale watching tour have both been cancelled 3 days running (we have run out if days and we are going to miss both those tours). Very rarely does the Icelandic horse have to cancel. And it's well worth a visit as not only been one of our favourite tours in Iceland. It was by far and away the best value and well worth the money

2 Thank simon4059
Cambridge, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“You will end up wanting an Icelandic Horse!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We booked this online after reading glowing reviews- and they are completely deserved. Booking was simple and Svenn collected us promptly from the hotel. I was also very impressed and grateful at how tactfully he diverted two of our fellow passengers from telling their horse-riding 'horror stories'- my husband, who had hardly been near a horse, let alone ridden one, had been getting steadily quieter and whiter!
I don't want to be wordy, so will completely endorse what other reviewers have said about people, horses, facilities, scenery etc. I last rode 30 years ago, my husband had hardly even been near a horse, and yet we both had a totally memorable experience thanks to Begga & Inga, as well as Frodi & Feykir, our wonderful mounts for the morning.
Whatever your experience, whatever the weather, even if you think you're not keen on horses, go and do this. It's brilliant.

Visited October 2013