Islenski Hesturinn, The Icelandic Horse - Riding Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The horse rental in Reykjavík, Iceland. Small family firm with personal service.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The morning ride with Islenski Hesturinn, The Icelandic Horse - Riding Tours was a highlight. I highly recommend it. What made it great: Beginning: organized, on time in town pick up, then we learned about the Icelandic Horse, They had great gear to use boots, jackets rain pants (included in the cost). We had instruction first off the horse and then on in the corral (no experience necessary. Then the ride in beautiful scenery with photo ops. But why give it an "excellent" rating? Becca knows and loves her horses and they love her back. It was a beautiful adventure,a real ride, but safe and peaceful.

1  Thank keecha65

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Loved this tour, I am an experienced rider but my husband and our friends aren't and we all loved this tour, the horses were amazing and Becca the tour guide was lovely. We really did have such a good time and great scenery too.

1  Thank Sarah64B
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Special horses, special owners, unique terrain. As noted by all of the reviews, Begga and Sveinn are 110% invested in each person having a safe and positive experience with the horses they so obviously love. I've had the opportunity to ride in several places around the world and I've never seen anyone take so much care to provide an overview of the nature of the horses and how to handle them while on the trail. Begga took great attention in matching the people and their respective experience/personality with just the right horse.

We were lucky to have a sunny morning and though we had come directly to the ride after flying all night, the ride was truly exhilirating. I was worried about what to wear, but as noted, they provide these jumpsuits that help prevent the wind from getting in--so I left my down jacket in the lockers which were also provided. They also provided helmuts, but even had boots and extra gloves. This level of attention really ensured everyone was prepped to have a nice ride. While on the ride, I took my camera, but Begga took a lot of pictures throughout the ride and promptly sent us a link so we could download the photos. Nice touch!

We were picked up in a minivan at our hotel and drove about 20 minutes to the stables, had an overview for about 30-45 minutes, and then rode the horses for over an hour. We even got to see some amazing Icelandic sheep next door! Total time investment was a solid morning, but it was a fantastic value. Sveinn dropped us back at our hotel when we were done.

1  Thank kirklandkat
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I was absolutely blown away by this experience! I love horses anyway but the Icelandic horses and ponies are just exceptional! They are not only the friendliest horses I have ever ridden but the hardiest too. They are a unique breed for so many reasons but "tolt" (worth a google), a special gait that only they can perform, makes riding them feel like you're gliding over the terrain. My fiancé was an absolute beginner and he was able to ride these incredible ponies without any trouble at all.

As for the owners/guides Begga and Sven, well, they couldn't have been nicer. They took the time to get to know everyone in the group, from riding experience to personality traits, in order to best match horse to rider. THEY REALLY CARE! You can sense it on first meeting them; they adore what they do for a living and it shows. I can't stress this enough to you- go on this tour!

I thought the northern lights would be the highlight of my trip to Iceland but it wasn't, having the privilege of riding an Icelandic pony was.

Samantha and Sean, Ireland.

2  Thank Pinchiez
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Even though it was a typically wet and windy Icelandic morning we managed to have a brilliant time, thanks to the very enthusiastic Begga and her husband. On arrival we had a sit down talk about riding and the differences with Icelandic horses to normal ones (eg tolting). We were provided with waterproofs, helmets, gloves and boots (you can't take your own horsey stuff due to quarantine protocol). We had a meander around the school on our horses before heading out. We experienced tolting on several occasions and waded through water and around obstacles whilst Begga took photos and stopped at certain points to discuss things of interest.

So we arrived at 10am and had our talk and were finished riding at about 12:30pmish. The whole experience was really made by Begga. She was so friendly and enthusiastic - she's a star! Will be recommending this experience to friends.