“A great experience”

Islenski Hesturinn, The Icelandic Horse - Riding Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The horse rental in Reykjavík, Iceland. Small family firm with personal service.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The horses were gentle and sweet. The instructors were very helpful as I'm an inexperienced rider and had no problem. The ride was beautiful and we had a great day out. I highly recommend this!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,294)

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Efficient well run yard with excellent approach to health and safety. Nice happy horses with nice fat little tummies and funny little personalities. Not dead-mouthed bored nags. As a horsey girl of 30 odd years who is very particular about tourist horse-riding experiences, other horsey folk can be assured this place is very good. All the hor

2  Thank QuoteMillsy
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have to admit, reading the reviews of this riding tour before planning my holiday, I found it hard to understand how horse riding topped the Tripadvisor rankings of best things to do in Iceland. After all, this country has volcanos and geysirs and amazing waterfalls... and then I went and did it myself.

As someone who has never ridden before, I expected this to be similar to a donkey tour in Spain where you all follow a straight line along a well-worn track in single-file - but it is so much more. Within an hour I was making my horse run!

The staff collected me from my hotel and the stables are a short drive from central Reykjavik. On arrival, we met another instructor, were given coffee, and given a short history of the Icelandic horse. For us non-riders, we were also given a lesson in how to ride - how to hold the reins, how to turn, how to stop etc.

We were then given gloves, helmet - and if we wanted a pair of boots - and taken out to the stables and introduced to our horses. Within the stable complex we mounted and the instructors watched us to make sure we were comfortable controlling the horse... and then off we went!

We didn't venture too far from the stables, following some paths out into the lava fields, which were were great to see up close and actually move through, rather than peer at them from a coach window.

Two instructors accompanied our group of six riders and we were encouraged to move around the group - my horse Tvistur liked to be at the front, so he was quite speedy. We then had moments when we picked up the pace, and the horses began a slow run. I have to admit, as a complete novice, I was pretty amazed I was doing this, but the horses had such a good temperament and were so easy to control that I felt comfortable doing so.

One of the instructors took photos of us and then emailed a link for us to download the images some days later - I thought this was a smart move because it's not only safer to keep two hands on the horse, but I could enjoy the horse-riding more than worry about taking snaps.

Over all, I guess we were out riding for around an hour and a half - although I lost track of time. Overall, it's a half-day excursion.

This was definitely a highlight of my holiday and you should definitely go, whether you're an experienced horse rider or not.

4  Thank MendozaUK
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The staff (and horses) at Islenski Hesturinn were friendly and professional. They have all the equipment that you need. They give you instruction (and information about the horses) before you ever get on a horse. They obviously have a great passion for what they do. (And they do it very well!)
The ride itself is fun and quite beautiful. I'm a novice rider so she teamed me up with a gentle, experienced horse. I didn't take any pics on the ride because I felt keeping my balance was more important than taking pictures. lol But the owner/guide took plenty. She's going to email us the pictures.
After the ride we watched the horses roll around on the ground to scratch their backs. The look on their faces was joyous. (Make sure you stick around to watch it.)
This ride is for people of any (or no) riding experience. They match the horse to the person. And are constantly asking if you're comfortable with the ride. (We had 9 people in our group and 3 guides. They will definitely keep a close eye on you.)
I definitely recommend this tour.

1  Thank Vsch
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Let's be honest - I couldn't get up on the horse and the guides had to help. Then I even had trouble getting off and landing on my feet! But in between those embarrassing moments, I had a great two hours with my sweet "boss horse", Socky! The scenery was beautiful and the horses were so wonderful. I would highly recommend this tour during a visit to Iceland.