Islenski Hesturinn, The Icelandic Horse - Riding Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The horse rental in Reykjavík, Iceland. Small family firm with personal service.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Germany
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Do This Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

The company picked us up from our hotel (which is actually very common in Iceland we found). It was a small group of 8, plus the leader/owner and 2 other employees to help her. I am drawing a blank on the owner's name, but she started off with a very good beginners lesson on what to do when riding. I am an experienced rider, but my companion had never ridden before we both enjoyed the class. Helmets are provided. The horses were great too. The tolt is amazing!!! Also, the owner took pictures and emailed them to all of us.
I don't have anything negative to say. The owner really wanted us to have a good time and she also really respected her horses and they all looked well cared for.
A good tour to do!

31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Beautiful Landscape/Happy Horses”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

We brought out never rode ever friend, and we are pretty experienced riders, and each of us enjoyed the horses very much.
Becca was very patient and thorough to make sure the horses were explained and cared for. The scenery was gorgeous, and our "newbie" friend who was "completely terrified" got a babysitter to make sure she was all right. Lovely facility, I loved riding the Tolt - it was one of the great reasons to visit Iceland!

Greater Manchester
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A long-time ambition fulfilled!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

I saw Icelandic horses on Blue Peter as a child and always wanted to ride one. My partner and I had zero riding experience and we both have poor balance so we were both a little nervous but very excited.

Sveinn picked us up from our apartment and took us on the short journey to the stables. There were 6 in our group, ranging from us to very experienced riders. We were very lucky to have beautiful weather. Begga spent some time telling us about the horses and you could really feel her passion for them. There was also useful information about how to achieve the tölt and how to hold the reins etc.

Next we met our horses, which were picked according to ability, and we were shown how to mount them. We then left the stables and trekked through some amazing scenery. My partner and I were terrible at riding but Begga and Sveinn patiently guided us with how to have our feet/hands and by the end we both felt more confident. We all managed to tölt and it felt wonderful.

They're great horses for beginners as they're smaller (not that anyone fell off!) and they tend to follow the pack, so you don't need to worry about them wandering off. We had very sore hands and bottoms by the end but we loved it!

london
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Fantastic experience, great horses and professional staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

We were lucky that this company was recommended to us. We really enjoied the ride near town (i could already ride, whilst for my wife it was the first experience), the horses were perfect, the landscape very good and the owners / staff experienced, passionate and professional.
I highly recommend at least one trip with tem, we want to go back for a longer tour!!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Excellent day out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were very excited to experience riding the icelandic horse, and we weren't disappointed! My partner is an experienced rider and I am very much a beginner, but the group suited all experience levels. The more advanced riders went on an alternative route, whereas the newbies stuck to a more simple route. The horses can be a bit fiesty though - there were a couple of falls (mainly due to lack of experience I assume!). The views were beautiful and it was very striking riding through the lava fields covered in snow. A great day.

Visited February 2012