“Central and very helpful staff”
Review of Kex Hostel

and 1 more site!
Kex Hostel
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I was half expecting Kex to smell of freshly baked biscuits since it was an old biscuit factory, but nonetheless, Kex is probably one of the good hostels I have stayed in. Before setting off to Reykjavik, I emailed the hostel with a few questions and they were kind enough to book my bus from the airport to the hostel. It is very central, just around the corner to the high street, so the choice of pubs, cafes and places to eat are in abundance. Staff were extremely helpful - I walked away with great suggestions for food, tours and even a place to watch a Six Nations Rugby game. The view from the hostel's bar is great too as it overlooks the sea and mountains. My friend and I decided to pay a bit more for a twin room (many previous awaken nights have been had by staying in dorms) and it was worth it. The rooms were kept clean everyday by the house-keeping staff (which is a lot more than other hostels), it was surprisingly warm without the heating on and the bathrooms were also satisfactory.

The only downsides are, the place is very dim and it makes it hard to read downstairs at the bar and even in the rooms. It can be quite noisy at nights but that is expected in a hostel - get ear-plugs from reception or close windows. I can't speak for the male showers, but the pressure in the female showers is quite weak so all of your shampoo might not get washed away. In addition, you have to pay extra for breakfast - 1400 ISK (approx £7.30) if you book the night before or 1600 ISK (approx £8.50). I think this is quite a lot for breakfast everyday so my friend and I bought our own breakfast the previous night at the supermarket around the corner - more cost efficient!

Other than that, I do recommend Kex - stay and enjoy the quirky decorations and revel in the knowledge of the staff :)

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper like me and hate people who snore - opt for a twin room!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Beebs_6

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I stayed here twice during my trip to Iceland, a couple of days as part of a tour and one night because a snow storm made me miss my flight (I was hoping for more snow!). The tour stayed in a group room with a shared bathroom. Perfectly fine, bunk beds, comfortable and clean, though on the first floor and with a band in the bar and jet lag, it wasn't the best first night. They didn't play long though, and they were good.

The morning was the best part though, the breakfast is so worth it, be sure to book it. Homemade skyr and bread - so good! With the usual breakfast stuff- cheese, ham, hard boiled eggs, cereal, etc. yummy!

The bar/restaurant is a great place to hang out, grab a beer, they have a nice beer selection, or a coffee and sit by the windows. Nice views AND those seats have little radiators under them so they're cozy! I ate dinner here a couple of times and found it quite good. It's not really fancy but it's good, fresh, local food. I had fish and chips one night and wolf fish another, they have other options besides fish.

The one night I stayed due to snow was in a private room, a double room plus I think they call it, and it was awesome! It had a nice bed, couch and desk and en suite bathroom. Really comfortable, spacious room with cute decorations.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We didn't stay here, but definitely would in future as unlike any hostel I've seen..very very cool:)
We had an enjoyable meal, not dirt cheap but then that's typical..it was a really cool atmosphere though and my food was yummy, and wine was fairly cheap. Highly recommended for a night out!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

This was my first experience at a hostel and I was told by my well traveled friend it was one if the nicest she's ever been in. The rooms are kinda big (I was in a 16 person dorm) but I was so tired I passed out on their beds. The KEX bar had wonderful beer and pretty good food. (One of the best burgers I've ever had) very centrally located. we saw the northern lights off their back porch and it was magic.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I'm not keen on the idea of hostels but was moaned at to give it a go. We stayed 4 nights from the 12th to 16th December and it was awesome.
Kex Hostel does not dissapoint - Cheap and cheerful - Stylish decor and nice atmosphere. Amazing Burger as well which is a huge plus.
The staff were all friendly, helpful and made everything really easy for us.
Keen to help and offer suggestions for things to do.

For anyone like me who is a bit unsure - Kex is a nice, friendly hostel situated in a great location.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Louisa P
Reviewed January 30, 2014

A group of us stayed here around New Years. The rooms & beds we had were very comfortable and the common areas were nice and created an easy going atmosphere to get to know and chat to new people.

I was annoyed with myself for not bringing flip-flops for the showers considering how many people pass through hostels and I saw so many walking bare foot. Eew! Some of the showers overflowed with the water coming out onto the corridors but to be fair the staff were really good at keeping on top of that and the place was really clean & tidy.

Also be prepared for group showers! I've stayed in a few hostels but this was the first time I saw a group shower room...

Generally the staff were really helpful with booking activities and looking things up or even general local knowledge and advice was good. However some staff were incredibly rude and we were given wrong information about one or two things and even the booking for our bus to the airport had been cancelled and we only found out just in time to re-book!!!!!! So make sure you get information in writing or printed from the website where they claim to be getting their info!

Overall, it was a good stay for the price :-)

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ber M
Reviewed January 7, 2014

(My visit was in Dec 2012 - very late review!)

Location: Within walking distance of one of the main hubs for the local buses so it was an easy walk once I was dropped off. Although, I recommend paying a few extra dollars and have the airport shuttle drop you off at your hostel. I say this because I got a little bit lost trying to find this hostel haha. It was an easy walk once I figured out where it was.

Speaking off, it is located in a warehouse-looking place so it is a bit easy to miss. Nice once you get inside though.

You have to pay for pillow/duvet but this is an Iceland standard.

The local grocery store is only about three blocks away and I went there to buy breakfast foods/snacks, etc.

Everything was clean (bed/room/bathrooms) so no complaints from me!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo