WINNER WONDERLAND

Kex Hostel
Leeds
“Just WOW”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Honestly the most awesome hostel iv ever stayed in. On initial outside impressions I was a little apprehensive however as soon as you enter the reception/communal/bar area you are wowed by the décor which is very eclectic. You find yourself in awe of its uniqueness and bohemian feel.

We stayed in a 6 sleeper room and the dimensions where very well suited to all our needs. Rooms were very comfortable and lockers where also available within the rooms for personal belongings to be secured safely.

Despite some of the reviews regarding noise levels in the bar/ communal areas, the rooms certainly are not noisy at all. In fact we were surprised how quiet it actually was in the rooms compared to the hustle and bustle of down stairs.
In addition the reviews regarding cleanliness are also unfair; we found the rooms and communal area very clean and tidy and each morning (being an early bird) I saw cleaning staff scrubbing away well before 6am!

We also took advantage of the kitchen facilities whilst staying at Kex, and it was an excellent way of meeting other travellers and making new friends in the process. In fact we spent each of out 3 nights socialising with other guest before heading out to explore the area.
The kitchen facilities where great and included 3 huge fridges, microwave, cooker/oven and a dishwasher, along with table space for about 16 people.

The staff at the hostel were also amazing. They were very knowledgeable and helped us arrange our excursions, airport transfers, pointed us in the direction of the best bars and restaurant's as well as the cheapest supermarkets and free guided tours.
They were also very helpful when it came to providing us with some much needed waterproofs from the lost property when we stupidly turned up without them!

I honestly can not recommend this hostel enough. During our time at Kex we met many people whilst out on tours and a vast majority said they'd tried to get a room here and it was fully booked. This in addition to it being the place where the locals go for live music and culture, I think shows how awesome this place actually is.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Koloa, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

So I haven't stayed at a hostel in more than 10 years, since I was a single guy tramping around Europe. Now "grown up", married, with a kid- when I found out I was staying with some friends at a hostel I was like "what?!". But the Kex is awesome. the Kex bar downstairs is the best bar of the many we explored in Reykjavik. And since beer is so expensive in Iceland, we just bought beer up to our room and then drank it in the bar. Genius! It's still a hostel. so you still get to share a room with a bunch of other people (at least I did). But the bathrooms are private- with private showers- so that was a nice touch over other hostels I recall. Also, they give you clean linens and towels, which is a bonus. Overall, a sweet hostel!

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

A cool hostel, really unique decor. It's in a good location, right in front of the seafront. I'd stay here again. The chill-out area was great and had a nice vibe, you could almost stay there all night.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Mesaieed, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

KEX... thats the place to be in Iceland...One of the best hostel i've been to.... service is really good... the bar at the first floor was awesome....breakfast was so so great..... don't forget to try their homemade skyir and bread....a live band played there for two nights during my stay...met a lot of locals in the bar room which is really helpful as they knew the best of sightseeing in rekjavik... and of coz u can book all the local tours at the reception desk itself....

Room Tip: No need to pay more for a 4 bed dorm or a 6 bed dorm....the bigger dorms are much better ...and cost...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank zabeelshafi
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed at Kex Hostel for the beginning and end of our trip to Iceland and were really satisfied with this hostel. The rooms are nice and very good service. The atmosphere at the restaurant/bar was great, which we really enjoyed when we got back from our trip around Iceland. A lot of locals go out in that bar, and are very open and willing to talk with us, and guide us where to go next, as the bar at Kex closes at 11 o'clock (which is good, for those who want to sleep).

Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

It's a hostel, so there are inevitably going to be aspects of it that aren't as nice as staying in a hotel (sharing a room with strangers, not having a bathroom in the room, etc.) but if you're going to stay in a hostel, this one is an excellent choice. They go out of their way to make it cool and fun, and not feel like it's a bad thing that you're staying there. I feel like a lot of these places have the attitude of "You're not paying much to stay here, so we're not going to put any effort into making it a nice place to stay," but KEX has a totally different vibe. It felt clean, hip, and comfortable and they're attached to a bar/restaurant with couches throughout.. The view is beautiful, and tour buses/airport transfer buses come right to the hostel to pick you up. The only reason I didn't give it 5 out of 5 was that the outdoor bar stays open late and was very loud. The noise combined with the fact that the sun doesn't really go down in Iceland in the summer made it feel like it was the middle of the day when it was really 1:00 a.m. I guess that's a good thing if you want to stay up and party, but if you're exhausted from traveling and just want to sleep at 1:00 a.m., that part wasn't fun. Overall though, it was a great experience, and SO MUCH BETTER than the hostel I stayed at a few days before in London, so I was happy.

Room Tip: I stayed in an all female dorm, which feels safer. However, I was on the side closest to the bar, wh...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lara A
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed in the hostel for 5 nights. Since it was my first time staying in a hostel, I was kind of apprehensive. It was wonderful though. Thank goodness my bus dropped me right off at the door or I don't think I would have found it :/ The first thing you see when you walk in is the bar area (which has wonderful breakfasts) with check-in around the corner. The staff were WONDERFUL. No joke. They answered all of my questions, and were so helpful. I was on the first floor right between the bar and another room where they had some concerts, so it did get a little loud at times. Since I brought my earplugs, I slept wonderfully though. I'm already planning my trip back :)

Room Tip: Bring earplugs
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo