“Great atmosphere”

Kex Hostel
Frankfurt, Germany
“Great atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed at Kex Hostel for the beginning and end of our trip to Iceland and were really satisfied with this hostel. The rooms are nice and very good service. The atmosphere at the restaurant/bar was great, which we really enjoyed when we got back from our trip around Iceland. A lot of locals go out in that bar, and are very open and willing to talk with us, and guide us where to go next, as the bar at Kex closes at 11 o'clock (which is good, for those who want to sleep).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

It's a hostel, so there are inevitably going to be aspects of it that aren't as nice as staying in a hotel (sharing a room with strangers, not having a bathroom in the room, etc.) but if you're going to stay in a hostel, this one is an excellent choice. They go out of their way to make it cool and fun, and not feel like it's a bad thing that you're staying there. I feel like a lot of these places have the attitude of "You're not paying much to stay here, so we're not going to put any effort into making it a nice place to stay," but KEX has a totally different vibe. It felt clean, hip, and comfortable and they're attached to a bar/restaurant with couches throughout.. The view is beautiful, and tour buses/airport transfer buses come right to the hostel to pick you up. The only reason I didn't give it 5 out of 5 was that the outdoor bar stays open late and was very loud. The noise combined with the fact that the sun doesn't really go down in Iceland in the summer made it feel like it was the middle of the day when it was really 1:00 a.m. I guess that's a good thing if you want to stay up and party, but if you're exhausted from traveling and just want to sleep at 1:00 a.m., that part wasn't fun. Overall though, it was a great experience, and SO MUCH BETTER than the hostel I stayed at a few days before in London, so I was happy.

Room Tip: I stayed in an all female dorm, which feels safer. However, I was on the side closest to the bar, wh...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lara A
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed in the hostel for 5 nights. Since it was my first time staying in a hostel, I was kind of apprehensive. It was wonderful though. Thank goodness my bus dropped me right off at the door or I don't think I would have found it :/ The first thing you see when you walk in is the bar area (which has wonderful breakfasts) with check-in around the corner. The staff were WONDERFUL. No joke. They answered all of my questions, and were so helpful. I was on the first floor right between the bar and another room where they had some concerts, so it did get a little loud at times. Since I brought my earplugs, I slept wonderfully though. I'm already planning my trip back :)

Room Tip: Bring earplugs
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank kak_rugger
Piestany, Slovakia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed one night in this hostel and left with mixed feelings. There was a noisy and busy bar where locals meet, however, if you are looking for an accomodation, this might not be an enjoyable place. The staff was friendly and relaxed, however, we had to wait for them to come before we check in.
We stayed in a double room with a shared bathroom facilities, but, they were dirty and full of hairs during our whole stay. There is no hanger or place where to leave stuff in the bathroom, so you have to put it at the toilet. Normally, I like vintage desing, however, I did not enjoyed the style of the room and floor we stayed in.
There is a kitchen, but, we did not use it. On the other hand, the hostel serves rich breakfast, probably the best we had during the whole stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the "tiny room" which was really clean and nice with its own bathroom. It was also on the top floor at the end of the hall so there was no noise (that we could hear). The staff is friendly and the environment is great. It just so happened that we stayed the night of KEXPort and it was so much fun to be able to hear live music all night right where we were staying. I'd highly recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JucyFanousy
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

When you enter the Kex lobby, you immediately feel this is a special place. The bar/restaurant is beautiful and cosy, locals hang around, great concerts and good food. We rent a 4-persons room with a splendid view on the Reykjavik bay.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with view on the bay.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Wim W
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Go! Delicious breakfast (unexpected in a hostel), all guest between 25-40 years, relaxed atmosphere. You can chose between dormatories and exclusive rooms (which we need) that have their own bathrooms.

• Stayed July 2013