“Loft/ vintage Design, staff very helpful and always smiling”
Review of Kex Hostel

Kex Hostel
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Go! Delicious breakfast (unexpected in a hostel), all guest between 25-40 years, relaxed atmosphere. You can chose between dormatories and exclusive rooms (which we need) that have their own bathrooms.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank akl92

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I had high hopes for this hostel as it was highly reviewed and strived to be 'the best hostel you will ever visit'.

Unfortunately, I am writing this review because I could not sleep. Kex is highly praised for its nightlife because it likes to forget about the sleepless backpackers upstairs. All i wanted was a clean bed in a group room that i could sleep in but kex could not provide this.

To start, we werd greeted by a large group of children running around the lobby with no parents or staff in sight. Because of this my friend and i could not enjoy the bar without tripping over a toddler. Strike one.

Next, the hostel rents out their own venue to a very loud party which is a disturbance even two floors up. I asked the workers at the front desk and they said it was 'being shut down'. Strike two.

After forty minutes (nearing midnight and no one able to sleep in the large group room) the party becomes even LOUDER. I go back downstairs to reiterate that this is unacceptable and i see workers carrying platters of food into the venue. The party is clearly not being shut down- i was basically brushex off and lied to. I confronted staff one last time and asked for honesty. I was finally told that nothing could be done and managers would be alerted. Strike three-- and kex is out

I hope that KEX will decide whether or not it is a nightclub or a hostel. Unacceptable levels of noise make it deplorable to try both. I wish i had booked somewhere else so I could actually sleep.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank Rampaiger
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I'm not normally a hostel person, but I probably would be if all hostels were like Kex! Walking distance from downtown Reykjavik, super friendly and efficient service, clean rooms and bathrooms, brilliant bar with amazing food, and a chilled out vibe with a lovely deck area to enjoy the sunshine. A rustic decor with beautiful old library books, comfortable couches and wildlife pictures complete the scene. Utterly impressed, highly recommend this hostel to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Chynalucia
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I loved this hostel, it is easily one of the best I have ever stayed in. And even better--this place seems to attract the coolest people! I made friends at this place that I am still in touch with, nearly two years later, in part because of the awesome vibe of this place. Great bar, even has organic beer. Can be a little loud at night but that's the only complaint I have. Clean, friendly, very helpful booking tours, nice area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We arrived at 11am and could not check in until 2pm, so we stayed in the lobby, chillaxing on lounge chairs and a couch. Kex was exactly how I pictured it. No one over the age of 30 but me. However, that was absolutely not an issue, as everyone (guests and staff) were very friendly. We had to climb 2 flights of stairs to reach the lobby, then 3 more flights to reach our room. The room was very sparse, but extremely clean, with twin beds, 3 folding chairs, and a desk. Beds were super-comfortable, with the typical European snow-white thick comforter, folded in half. No top sheet. It also had blackout curtains (20+ hours of daylight while we were there). There were plenty of bathrooms and showers available, including private ones, just a short walk down a hall. There was also a shared kitchen at the end of the hall with shared cold storage, shelves, and everything you would need in a kitchen, from pots and pans to dinnerware. I was astounded at how clean everything was in the entire place. If I had to describe Kex with one word, I would say...."Kitschy" The breakfast provided each morning was great! I would definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs, not a good choice (for us older folks) Altho there is live music d...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Silver1953Atlanta_GA
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed in a 6 bed dorm with our 4 kids after a 36-hour journey from Australia. It was our first experience of a youth hostel as a family and we really enjoyed it. Room was very tight with our 4 suitcases but the bathroom was just across the hall and the people very friendly. Breakfast (purchase the night before for a better price) was good and the lounge/kitchen/bar area was so cosy and welcoming that we all looked forward to hanging out there each day. Staff were helpful and friendly and the beds extremely comfortable. (It certainly seemed that way after all that travelling). We walked everywhere.

Room Tip: Ask for one near a bathroom
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nusstafa
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This place is great. About a 10-15 minute walk to downtown Reykjavik but other than that it is right near the water (though there is a bit of an unsightly gas station in front). The people were great and friendly, I had an issue which required me to change my flight and they were more help than any hotel I have ever stayed at in rearranging my travel plans. Really went above and beyond their duties, whether it was just Icelandic hospitality or great service, I was grateful either way.

Good food, great people, and fun, young atmosphere. Whether you are a younger solo traveler or older couple, you really can't go wrong.

Room Tip: I chose to stay in a six bed room. Had the whole thing to myself my entire stay there, do yourself a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo