“good & BAD”
Review of Kex Hostel

Kex Hostel
Reviewed July 6, 2012

unique design will blow your mind away! wow! good job guys! every area is beautifully furnished, bar is is opened to the public what creates a fantastic atmosphere. there is a kitchen on every floor and is big enough to share with many people.. it looks clean and there is even a dishwasher! areas are sticky though and it should be swipped more often. don't bother paying 6£ for breakfast it isn't worth it, also you can make a good meal from free stuff! rooms are narrow but have lockers, there are bed side lamps and thick curtains - helps in summer. despite requesting a bottom and upper bed we didn't get it as someone has taken it already. staff said commented 'this is the way it is in hostels', there was a reason why one of us couldn't sleep upstairs.. oh well. showers are communal!! no idividual cabins- only one on each floor?? I know you have to label your food but since we arrived in the evening and planned to leave next morning before 9am we didn't just to find out that our food is on a free shelf (this is why is always so full I guess) and our pasta and plastic container have been thrown away!!! seriously????? I slept in MANY hostels around the world and it NEVER happend. fine throw stuff out but AFTER the check-out!! hostel is expensive, we stayed in a double room with breakfast for 15£ each (Pavi guesthouse) and had to pay 25£ for a bed in a dorm...

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MisssKariela

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Excellent hostel, probably one of the best I have stayed in. However it seems a bit stupid that the staff clean all the sheets and towels etc in the laundry which is advertised for guests. I was told to wait until the next day to do my washing because the staff were using it. I could not do that because i was leaving the next day. Maybe out source the washing of sheets and towels
Otherwise great place (and excellent breakfast!)

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Pumbaa86
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I stayed at Kex when I first arrived in Reykjavik, on my first trip to Iceland, in June. I felt at home right away, the staff were genuinely friendly, the facilities are just fine, the food is good and so is the beer and the music. What more could you want?! This place has character and atmosphere, which makes it welcoming and comfortable. I want to go back!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank F M
Reviewed July 3, 2012

After reading the reviews of Kex my expectations was high and I and they live up to every one of them. The unique design, with lots of vintage furniture and the mix with a bar and restaurant, open for the public makes a great and fun atmosphere. The Staff is doing a great job and is nice and friendly and helping out with anything from drying wet tents to recommend good a good café.
The rooms are spartan but comfy and clean. So is the rest of the facilities.

The only bad ting is that Kex is so nice that it keeps us from leaving the hostel!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Fredrik A
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Having read the reviews for KEX Hostel I was expecting a good experience and I can honestly say that I wasn't disappointed!! I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone who is looking for a place to stay in Reykjavik, it was excellent value for money and had all the facilities that you need. The decor of the place, the bar and resturant are excellent and the staff were very helpful when suggesting tours and companies to use during our stay in the city. One area of concern I did have prior to our trip was how cold the hostel was going to be in the evening, I need not worry at all as I even had to kick off the sheets in the evening as it was so warm. Would definately return to this hostel!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Aledshiv
Reviewed June 30, 2012

This hostel is one of the best hostels i've stayed in. The decor of the place, the bar and restaurant is fabulous and the view you get is just wonderful! The bathrooms are super clean (as is the whole place) and the water is so nice and hot! The area's I would fault is the dorm room was very hot and stuffy at night, even with the window opened, which also brings all the noise from the courtyard in. Also slightly disappointed that we weren't able to access the bar/restaurant one night as it was closed for a private party - you would assume that it would be always accessible since its part of where you've booked to stay? It would also have been nice to be informed at the time of checkin of the discount for breakfast given if you book it the night before, as I only learnt of this from a fellow traveler on my last day. Despite these few complaints, overall I loved the place, and the staff were super nice too.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Miyo011
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We got off a red eye flight to Iceland and went straight to Kex. Check in was a breeze and within a few minutes was enjoying a hot coffee and traditional Icelandic breakfast. It gave me the energy to go out and explore before our rooms were ready at 14:00. Great location with beautiful views of the water. Easy walking distance tithe city center. Also a popular local hangout. The place was packed during the Euro semi-final lending the hostel a very authentic atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2012