“Taste of Iceland”

Cafe Loki
Ranked #49 of 509 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Cafe Loki offer Icelandic meat soup, Icelandic sample plates, homemade bread and cakes. Icelandic traditional homemade dishes are our specialty. You can taste fermented shark and dried fish but Icelandic meat soup and our Icelandic plates are most popular among the Rye Ice cream and Skyr cake. Beautiful view over Reykjavik, Hallgrimskirkja church and to mountain Blafjoll. Icelandic food.
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Located just across the street from the cathedral in reykjavik. Loki is a typically Icelandic cafe serving Icelandic cuisine. All the food is homemade by the staff on the premises. I had a meat soup which was lovely. It consisted of lamb and vegetables in a clear stock, the soup is served with rye bread with lamb pate. Also had some rye bread ice cream which was delicious. Staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. Not too expensive either. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I went here for brunch and enjoyed the laid-back atmosphere and opportunity to try some Icelandic dishes. I had the Icelandic Plate #3, which included mashed fish on rye, herring and egg on rye, and rye bread ice cream (actually pretty good). I also had the loki tea. Everything was very good, but I did feel this was a bit overpriced for what it was (though not horribly overpriced compared to the rest of Reykjavik).

Reviewed March 4, 2014

This place serves the real stuff: delicious exotic Icelandic food. We tried the lip-smacking rye-bread ice-cream (I kid you not), mashed fish on rye bread, smoked herring and egg on rye bread, trout tart and Loki tea. It was an exciting adventure! The staff were friendly, and they have a very helpful picture guide to the menu. The cafe is also conveniently located next to the Hallsgrimkirkja Church so there was a very nice view.
That being said, I think the food was too expensive when compared to fine-dining restaurants on the central main road. I thought portions were small for that price, although delicious. It was a good experience, but I wouldn't go back.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We visited this restaurant after seeing good reviews on tripadvisor and we weren't disappointed. It's perhaps not somewhere for people who are particularly picky about what they eat, as there are some strange combinations, but they work well. I went for one of the tasting platters and it was delicious, except for the shark (one to avoid)! Dessert was a pancake which again was nice. The location is brilliant with decent views from upstairs. However the atmosphere was a bit strange and we felt a bit pressurised to finish our food and leave.
Definitely worth a visit if you want to try true icelandic food and not break the bank.

1  Thank CadburysFlake
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This is a really interesting cafe with a menu featuring a selection of Icelandic dishes. The cafe is spread over two levels and both offer comfortable and well spread seating. We chose two dishes that would give us an introduction to local for. My son's meal was the Icelandic plate III that had two rye bread slices, one with mashed fish and the other with egg and herring. Also included was the rye bread ice cream. All for 1950 ISK. My dish was the Icelandic plate II with two rye bread slices, one with mashed fish and the other with smoked trout. There was also flatbread with smoked lamb and dried fish with butter. Of course there was also the fermented shark. This was for 2750 ISK.
The local beer was excellent and made an enjoyable accompaniment to the meals.
The dishes were interesting, and I guess a little unusual to our tastes. Of course the shark was memorable and whilst we probably wouldn't line up to have it again it was not as bad as we had expected.
The service was friendly and efficient. We had a couple of pieces of cake to finish, one carrot and one chocolate, and these were excellent.
All up it was meal that we will remember for some time.