“you must eat here”

Cafe Loki
Ranked #49 of 516 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cafe Loki offer Icelandic meat soup, Icelandic sample plates, homemade bread and cakes. Icelandic traditional homemade dishes are our specialty. You can taste fermented shark and dried fish but Icelandic meat soup and our Icelandic plates are most popular among the Rye Ice cream and Skyr cake. Beautiful view over Reykjavik, Hallgrimskirkja church and to mountain Blafjoll. Icelandic food.
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Other than arriving at the airport, and getting our hotel, this was the first thing we did after the sun came up at 10:30 am on our first day. We were walking to the Hallgrimskirkja and stopped in Cafe Loki for breakfast first.

I knew well in advance that we had to stop at this restaurant when we visited Iceland. Everyone said how good and authentic the food was, and that is was a very reasonable option economically. All the research ahead of time paid off, because we found everyone's reviews to be bang on.

My fiance was afraid she would starve when we got to Iceland, after reading various menus during our research. But she started with the Icelandic pancakes and I did the Icelandic Plate IV (if I remember correctly. For anyone who doesn't know, their pancakes are very much like crepes and are absolutely delicious. My meal consisted of this pie type dish that was made with pieces of rye bread and mashed fish (smoked I think), and was so flavourful. Mine also came with a sald and I absolutely demolished the rye bread icecream. I had read about it before going and everyone suggested trying it. I will continue the trend and tell you you HAVE to try it.

The food was so good, and was the level of authentic (yet not touristy) that I wanted. It was an amazing way to start an amazing trip. It had a clear view of the church which helped build our anticipation to cross the road and visit that next. This restaurant should be a must for you whether you are visiting from across the world or just localy.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,381)

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Just try the rye bread ice cream and some hot tea and you will be GOLDEN. Located right across the street from the famous Hallgrimskirkja church, this is a great pit stop before or after enjoying your view of the city from the top of the church tower.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We had dinner at the Cafe Loki on Sunday January 12. It was a very windy cold night outside but the atmosphere inside was warm and comfortable. There was a party of 6 at one table and a couple of other tables with smaller parties. We were a party of 3. The menu is small but very interesting - they specialize in traditional Icelandic food. "Meat" seems to universally mean lamb, so Meat Soup is lamb soup with traditional winter vegetables. We started by sharing a plate fo smiked lamb on dark rye - very smoked and tasty. My two dinner partners had that for their main course. One option was lamb pate on rye with the soup. The bowls were large and filling and very good. I had the "smashed fish" gratin which was really good and warming on a cold night. We accompanied the meals with local beer - Viking and Thule. We finished off with a Skyr cheesecake (fabulous!), the Pancake Party (crepes with cinnamon and sugar and crepes with Skyr inside) and their chocolate cake.
The view from the restaurant's upper level is spectacular - looking over the square to the Hallgrimskirkja lighted up at night is a sight not to be missed.

Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

My friends and I came to Iceland hunting the elusive Aurora Borealis and we found this little cafe infront of the church. We ordered a tasting Icelandic plate to taste the Harkarl (fermented Shark) which was very hard to swallow even if you try to down it with a beer. I loved their smoked salmon on top of rye bread. Great seats looking out to the church.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

I came here after reading reviews and so I could try the shark! I got one of the Icelandic plates and got to sample a variety of fish, including the shark. The waitress was super friendly and helpful, and the location is great. We came in right after visiting the church (which is right across the street) in the afternoon, and even though many of the tables downstairs were taken, we were allowed to go upstairs where we got a perfect window seat.