“breakfast spot”

Cafe Loki
Ranked #51 of 519 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Cafe Loki offer Icelandic meat soup, Icelandic sample plates, homemade bread and cakes. Icelandic traditional homemade dishes are our specialty. You can taste fermented shark and dried fish but Icelandic meat soup and our Icelandic plates are most popular among the Rye Ice cream and Skyr cake. Beautiful view over Reykjavik, Hallgrimskirkja church and to mountain Blafjoll. Icelandic food.
Reviewed August 28, 2013

across the street from the main church and sculpture garden. lovely breakfast, well priced. nice way to begin your visit to the city and then go to church spire for fantastic view

Write a ReviewReviews (2,424)

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We found this cafe across from the cathedral and were not disappointed. One friend had the vegetarian plate and liked it so much she came back another day for the same dish. One had the fish gratin, which we all tried and found delicious. I had the herring plate with the rye bread ice cream. The serving was small for dinner but would have been fine as a first course or with a salad. Everything was very fresh. The rye bread ice cream was a new one and everyone enjoyed it. While there we found a guidebook on local food restaurants throughout iceland that served as a real lifesaver during our two weeks on the road.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I saw this cafe on a video about Reykjavik, so when I saw it a block from our hotel, I had to try it.
I had the meat soup, which apparently is an Icelandic staple. I was rather disappointed. I ate the whole bowl, and it got tastier as you got to the bottom and found more meat. I thought that maybe this is just standard Icelandic meat soup... kinda "blah"-not much meat, etc... until I had some meat soup elsewhere (by an Icelandic caterer) a week later that was delicious.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is a great little cafe located right across the street from the cathedral. There is seating both inside and out with a great view of the cathedral. They offer authentic icelanic dishes with a slight turn towards nuvo cuisine. Icelanic dishes are very subtle and will not blow you away but they are delicious with nice hints of various herbs. So many resturants say they offer icelanic dishes but their emphasis is on hamburgers and pizza. If you decide to go you must try their rye bread ice cream, sounds strange but we had two helpings. Great place to eat.

1  Thank Thomas Z
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Heavenly! The rye bread ice cream is like tasting ambrosia. It comes topped with the most luscious whipped cream and rhubarb sauce. Do not miss this! It was so good we went back for seconds.

Also must get the traditional Icelandic meat soup which is lamb with potatoes, carrots, parsnips and cabbage in a light broth. Some of the best soup I have ever had it definitely warms you up after a cold day touring Reykjavik.

Nice efficient service. Definitely go for the ice cream. You won't be disappointed.