“Enjoy the taste of Iceland!”
Review of Cafe Loki

Cafe Loki
Ranked #55 of 473 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cafe Loki offer Icelandic meat soup, Icelandic plate, homemade bread and cakes. Icelandic traditional homemade dishes are our specialty. You can taste fermented shark and dried fish but Icelandic meat soup and our Icelandic plates are most popular among the Rye Ice cream and Skyr cake. Beautiful view over Reykjavik, Hallgrimskirkja church and to mountain Blafjoll. Icelandic food.
Charlotte, NC
“Enjoy the taste of Iceland!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We went in with 2 other friends in search of food that may be more 'local' the last night of our stay in Iceland. I can't say whether what I had was authentic since I am not an expert in Icelandic food but I feel I definitely got a good variety. I had Icelandic Plate #2 since it seems to have the most number of items to try. My wife ordered the vegetarian plate with pickled herrings on the side. Was pleased with both. Maybe I have strange taste but I found fermented shark quite pleasing. Wife didn't like it but didn't hate it either. The mashed fish and smoked trout were quite good. Dried fish, well, was dry as expected. No different than other dried fish we've had in Iceland. Would have gone back again if we had more time to try other things.

1 Thank wabbitAndBug

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cleveland
“A taste of Iceland -- once is enough!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Our first afternoon in Reykjavik started at the church. We saw the Cafe Loki and decided to begin our trip with traditional Icelandic food. We got the sample plate with mashed fish, shark, smoked lamb, dried fish, and whatever else. The shark: don't do it! The mashed fish tasted good. The dried fish was like eating cardboard. I didn't care for the lamb. Ok, we got all that out of the way and every other meal for a week was terrific.

Visited June 2013
Brooklyn, New York
“Authentic Icelandic food, reasonably priced.”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The café was a block away from our hotel and located right across from Hallgrímskirkja Church with great views. We visited to have some authentic Icelandic food and not sure what to expect, but the service was great and the food was absolutely delicious! We went back a second time breaking our rule of visiting a restaurant twice. Be adventurous and try all of the food, you'll be glad you did - and don't forget the Rye Bread Ice Cream, yum!

Ottawa, Canada
“Really interesting local food”
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I had the Icelandic Plate II and really enjoyed it. The space was bright and cheery,with a good view of the sky rocket Lutheran church across the square. Service was good. Price reasonable (for Iceland). All aspects of the food were great, although I admit that the fermented shark was unlike anything I've ever tasted. Fortunately, I had premptively ordered a shot of the local spirit Brennevin to help it down. The smoked trout was outstanding, as was the flat bread it came on. Highly recommended.

Visited June 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Delicious traditional food”
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had the Icelandic plate III, the Holiday plate with smoked lamb, and Icelandic meat soup. All were delicious. The rye bread ice cream was probably my favourite part of the meal - great flavour and texture. We also had good service. But the pieces of bread from the plate were only half slices, when on the menu they look like whole slices.