“I brought out my inner Viking... Dare you?”
Review of Cafe Loki

Cafe Loki
Ranked #50 of 516 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Cafe Loki offer Icelandic meat soup, Icelandic sample plates, homemade bread and cakes. Icelandic traditional homemade dishes are our specialty. You can taste fermented shark and dried fish but Icelandic meat soup and our Icelandic plates are most popular among the Rye Ice cream and Skyr cake. Beautiful view over Reykjavik, Hallgrimskirkja church and to mountain Blafjoll. Icelandic food.
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Schnapps and putrified Shark.... Great I loved it. When asked, the waitress said the only person who likes the shark is her Grandad whose in his 70's (a true Viking no doubt). I ate it and it's tasty, odd yes, smelly oh deffinatly but tasty and worth a go. The cafe is really well situated opposite the Cathederal and does dishes that have been eaten in Iceland for years. The beer was cold and wasn't too expensive. All in all a taste bud treat! An when I left I had horns on my helmet! Call me Olaf Olafsson! Grrrr.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,382)

Reviewed December 18, 2012

The perfect stop after visiting Hallgrimskirkja. A small but interesting menu with lots of Iceland specialities. Try the "Loki's tea" - birch bark and moss produce a surprisingly good cuppa! Good service and relatively cheap.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Liked: The service was good and fast. The food was good. In front of Reykjavik's largest church (Hallgrimskirkja). Ask for the Rye Ice Cream.
Dislike: just typical food.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

It was a very cold/wet day when we went to the cafe to sit and stare at Hallgrimskja church across the way. The young girl who served us was very helpful about what to choose on the menu and I would recommend the icelandic pancake.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Interesting menu - lots of Icelandic dishes. Photos of the food in a separate brochure.
Friendly staff, pleased to help you.
Particularly good were the gratinated fish, lovely fresh home baked rye bread and extremely unusual but totally delicious rye bread ice cream.
Great views of Hallgrimska Church too!