“Unexpected pleasure”

Reykjavik Bike Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Bike Tours & Bicycle Rentals in Reykjavik is a family business started in 2009. Scheduled and private city tours, day tours with or without bicycles. City bikes - Mountain bikes - Touring bikes - Electric bikes Our scheduled bicycle tours are designed for people in good health who know how to balance a bicycle and enjoy learning about the sights visited from a competent and enthousiastic professional tourist guide. If you prefer more challenging rides we do private tours of all sorts. Private bike tours in a vehicle, with or without bicycles, available all year for groups of all sizes. We look forward to hear from you. Stefan & Ursula
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for older children
A TripAdvisor Member
“Unexpected pleasure”
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Once again a trip advisor triumph, not in a million years would I think on a three day break in Reykjavik in the middle of march I would be taking a bike tour , as really not my scene or so I thought, any way clicked on trip advisor then on to activities and these guys came up , so read the reviews and thought we will give it a punt , and so glad I went against my initial instincts as everything about this tour was first class. As we only decided when we woke up to book we got our hotel to phone for us , I spoke to who I later found out was stefan, who explained how to find them on the old harbour and he looked forward to meeting us. We walk down and arrived at 9,55 stefan was already there , what a friendly guy which put my girlfriend at ease as was a bit worried about cycling around a strange city with all the traffic , but it seems the drivers of Reykjavik are very courteous to bike riders plus the tour doesn't take you down any busy roads. Before the tour started of which there were seven of us , we were given our bikes really well maintained inner city bikes comfy and easy to ride we were give cycle helmets and offered extra warm clothing eg hats gloves ect which I thought was a nice touch , stefan explained he wanted everyone to be comfortable and warm so they could enjoy the tour, after a little practice on the bikes to get use to the gears and brakes which I must warn you are opposite to home .
The tour it's self was about two and a half hours long which seemed no time at all and in the end I wished was longer which is always a good sign , I won't spoil the tour by telling what we saw and did but what I will say is a bike is the perfect way to do it, as it would be impossible by coach and to far to walk . Stefans knowledge of his home city is massive and he delivers it with humour and passion that makes the time fly and the information stick, you can tell this guy has 25 years experience but even after 25 years he still is so enthusiastic about what he showed us and such an eclectic mix and at no stage was I a little bit bored .
Once again this is another triumph of small company over large . If we ever return I deffinately would book another tour with these guys oh one last thing on my return to my hotel I received an email from stefan with an attachment which was a group photo from the tour , what a great touch . So if you are young or old and want to see a proper snap shot of a city you have travelled so far to get to book now you will not be disappointed
Chris

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
ReykjavikBikeTours, Owner at Reykjavik Bike Tours, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Thank you Chris for this glowing review! I really appreciate the details.

I have a lot to live up to :-). Glad you were positively surprised. I like it when people tell me the tour exceeded their expectations.

We've been going all year every year since 2009. We've been doing scheduled tours all winter every Friday and Saturday.

From 15 May we do a scheduled city tour every day at 10 AM. And in summer we also do an evening tour and bicycle tours with a van support - Golden circle, Vestmannaeyjar and the circle around the Parliament lake.

And private tours of course for small groups of friends or colleagues, and families.

I do most of the bike tours myself but in summer, when we also do many private tours of all sorts, I hire some enthousiastic professional guides to help me out on the scheduled tours.

Travel safely! Stefan

• Finnish first
bristol
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A very cultural "workout"”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My boyfriend and I did the cycle tour on Friday, Stefan the guide seemed to have loads of knowledge and querky little facts that made the morning fun and interesting, you can tell the guy has over 25 years of experience in the touristic sector!
Despite being cold it didnt feel cold at all as we were learning a bit of the Icelandic culture(i have to say Stefan was super generous and prepared for the forgetful tourists -including myself) that didnt have gloves or beanie hats to wear undernwath the helmet he also provided.
I am quite scared of cars on the road but that wasnt an issue as Icelandic drivers seem to be quite civilised and stop for you.

Also id like to thank him for the effort of taking us to see whale meat and answer all the questions we asked.

I hope this review was helpful i thoroughly enjoyed the experience and im usually quite didficult to please :D

Visited March 2014
Ha, ha - Cultural workout! Yes, it is but I never thought of it this way. I guess the tour touches on various Icelandic cultural aspects while at the same time you get a light workout on the bike. Or did you get a workout learning about the culture? Both is good :-).
New England
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Customer Service”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I must say, Reykjavik Bike Tours are very accommodating. I was in Iceland in February. Yes. February. I sent a series of e-mails to Stefan, the owner or R.B.T. He arranged for a bike to be delivered to the Hilton Nordica Hotel upon my arrival. And sure enough, there was a nice, sturdy city/mountain bike waiting for me. I requested a lock and helmet. That too was taken care of. It was nice to have the ability to get around Reykjavik, on the bike lane, leading into the center of the city. So, if you are looking to have a second travel option, I suggest a bike from Reykjavik Bike Tours.

Visited February 2014
Seattle, Washington
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Classic Reykjavik”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Stephan is a great guide to the city of Reykjavik. My favorite part was getting to walk around on the frozen lake. My travel buddy was nervous since she doesn't really like bike riding very much that she would be miserable, but even she had fun on this tour! Stephan took us to lots of places that I wouldn't have known to go to on my own (like the frozen lake, or the to see the big map in City Hall).

Visited March 2014
Cirencester, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“First class guide and by far the best way to see Reykjavik”
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We had a fantastic time with Stefan both on our bike tour and seeing the Northern lights. As a group of 4 (kids 14 and 12) the private Reykjavik tour was exceptionally good value as Stefan went at our pace, was extremely knowledgable and interesting about anything Icelandic. As he was such a good guide, we decided to rely on h is expertise to try and catch the elusive northern lights - and we were not disappointed. An excellent service from the point of enquiry to our final moment! A good guide can be the difference between a great and an average/terrible experience, and we didn't go all that way to see a beautiful and fascinating country to get average. Thank you for a most memorable holiday.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Alison W
ReykjavikBikeTours, Owner at Reykjavik Bike Tours, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
It was a great pleasure to meet you and your lovely family. I enjoyed very much showing you a part of my city by bicycle as well as doing a private tour for you to search for the northern lights. We got to see one great display of the elusive northern lights - which can never be guaranteed. We were lucky.