“Perfect spot..”
Review of Blue House

Blue House
Ranked #10 of 109 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Such a nice little house on the hill in Reykjavik. We had a great time and felt at home for all of a week. Home made bread and a serve-yourself anytime breakfast. But the location is the best, right by the sea and up on a hill with views and open spaces, and 5 min walking to the local thermal bath and gourmet supermarket. Just 5-10min taxi or bus, or 30 min seaside walk to center of town. Feels like a little village just outside of the busy tourist and party scene.

Room Tip: Ask for the Snæfellsnes room..
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 37North

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Jenny and Zeno were wonderful hosts, allowing us to check in early in the morning after a red-eye. They also gave a couple great recommendations for food and things to do. It's located a little out of downtown Reykjavik, so you will need a car, but it's in a quiet residential neighborhood and very close to a good hotpot. The house itself is basic and clean and cozy. Iceland is a very expensive place to travel and this place was a great budget find.

Room Tip: We had the house to ourselves while we were there (2 nights) but I could imagine it could get a bit...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sara M
Reviewed December 13, 2012

The Blue House is a nice cost-effective place to stay when in Reykjavik. The rooms are good, and the quiet neighborhood location is surprisingly close to downtown (although not really within walking distance for most people). Only two blocks away is a community recreation center that has a pool, steam room, and several hot tubs at different temperatures. I actually like it better than the Blue Lagoon, and admission is only about $3.00 per person. The hosts are a very nice couple who try to be helpful in just about any way they can. For breakfast, you will find cereal and milk, so this not really a "B&B," at least according to American standards. Highly recommended place to stay.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, although if travelling alone or with one other person I would request the on...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank petergriffith
Reviewed December 5, 2012

A very welcoming B&B, nicely decorated by the lovely hosts Jenny and Zeno. Apart from visiting Reykjavik, you can go discover some great landscapes with Zeno, who seems to know all the good spots. Its also quite close to the sea, so you can take in some very nice sunset from the side of the golf course.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Phil H
Reviewed November 27, 2012

As a solo traveller, I've found that staying in larger hotels can often mean that you end up feeling a bit lost and confused, so I opted for a smaller base during my stay in Iceland and can honestly say that staying here resulted in the best trip I've ever had.
I booked my transfer with a company recommended by Blue House and was dropped right to the door, where I was greeted by lovely Eva and the beautiful Paula the Labrador puppy! I got settled in and met Zeno, one half of the lovely couple who own the guesthouse. He immediately made me feel welcome and sat down with me and a map, pointing out where to get buses, the best places for seafood and interesting attractions in the town. Based on his advice, I set about exploring and was grateful to come over after a wonderful whirlwind of a day to my incredibly comfortable bed (with extra pillows - thanks Eva!) That night I met Jenny who filled me in on the adorable pets at Blue House and some local tips.
Breakfast was delicious, with home baked bread every morning and a great range of breakfast foods. Zeno helped me out with booking trips and couldn't have been more accommodating. I definitely recommend this place to solo travellers, you'll have one of the best travel resources in Reykjavik to help you!
Without going into an itinerary of every day, I'll simply say that staying at Blue House was the key factor that made my adventure as fantastic as it was. I'll definitely go back and I look forward to staying here again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Kelly G
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights in October and had the entire house to ourselves for most of the time. The inn is not in downtown Reykjavik; it is walkable but it's a bit of a hike (about 2 miles?) especially if the weather's cold. We took the #11 bus downtown (you can buy bus tickets at the convenience store around the corner) and cabs home from the city. When arriving at the B&B, be sure to type Seltjarnarnes as the town and not Reykjavik or it likely will not be found on the GPS. Street parking was fine and not a problem. Beds were very comfortable. My one recommendation would be to provide more options for breakfast that cereal and bread. I would stay here again provided that I had a car and planned to venture out of the city for most of my trip. If you want to be in the center of the action, this is not the accommodation for you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just spent three nights and liked it so much we'll be back for one more when we get through traveling southeast to Vik. Owners are a super nice couple and they made us feel so comfortable and welcomed. Helped us plan our excursions, figure out where to eat, made us feel right at home in this foreign land.

It's about a three minute drive from the city center so if you don't have a car might not be perfect in the winter since a little too cold to walk perhaps, but they will even drive you into town if they are around. Lovely people. Very reasonable rates as well. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple