“Iceland Photo Tour”

Iceland Aurora Photo Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #103 of 366 Tours in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Photography and sightseeing tours to all parts of Iceland.These flexible tours are driven by a passion for photography and the Icelandic nature.Flexible tours for small groups including advice and guidance regarding photography, Icelandic history and geography. Tours include transportation and accommodation outside of Reykjavik.
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Had a chance to visit Iceland and take a photo tour with Tony Prower last month. It was an outstanding trip and there is no way I could have seen all the places I did in the amount of time I had without an experienced guide like Tony. He is an outstanding photographer and has in-depth knowledge of the best locations and the ideal timing for visiting them. During my trip he alo generously taught me his "magic cloth" technique which is something I will be able to use going forward.
Please note this tour is directed to people whose primary objective is photography and taking great pictures of Iceland's beautiful locations. If that is your main goal, having Tony as a guide will maximize the chances of you returning home with outstanding photos.

6  Thank dwfphoto

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Darwin T

We had a photo tour with a group of 8 for 2 days. We had a great time, with his suggestion, we took photos at night where the sun only set for 2 hrs and avoid all the other tourist fighting for the photo spot! At Jokulsarlon, we had the whole place to ourselves in the early morning where is no wind and we can get the perfect reflection of the ice flow in the lagoon. Tony even show us a few tricks of his own in taking photo without using a graduated filter to darken the sky. He gave us enough time to take our photos and never rush us. I would love to have Tony as our guide again in the future to take photos of the northern light in the winter time.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

The Jökulsárlón tour drive was long, but the stops in between allowed us to take pictures and refresh. Unlike the typical tour that started at 6 in the morning, this one started at 6 in the evening avoiding heavy traffic and allowed us to take pictures without other tourist in the way. We had a schedule of places to visit, but were never rush from one place to another. I had some difficulty in getting the right settings and Tony notice and came by and asked if I needed some help and gave me some suggestions and I was back on track taking pictures again. Taught us a few photography tricks. As this was a two day tour, we camped rather than stay at a hotel. Tony made sure we got tents, air mattresses, sleeping bags and a good location near the facilities, but not too close.

The second tour that we booked was Snæfellsness Peninsular Tours but the weather was not very good that day on the coast and we decided to change it to the Golden Circle after some discussion and we had a great day photographing.

We learned a lot about the places in Iceland and we will be planning another trip this time it will be in the Winter to see the aurora borealis and other parts that we did not have time to see. We will definitely be interested in planning our future tour with Tony again.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

This was my second tour with Tony in as many years. the first being of a two day duration.
Great experience as it was a week long tour this time.
Tony was well equipped with both vehicle and camping gear, all suitable for the rough terrain we wished to cover. Perhaps a better organization in the food department should be addressed.
we found him to be an excellent driver and very conscious as to our safety.

He was most helpful, as well, in all aspects of the photography our group of 4 wished to take.
I would highly recommend his services and tours to anyone interested in serious photography as well as exploration of difficult terrains. Tony was also very amenable and receptive to any suggestion in change of itinerary. Flexibility is what we, as a group, enjoyed... as many tours tend sometime to be set in stone and the tour operators unwilling to make changes.
Would gladly go again in the future to experience the beauty of Iceland and fellowship of a great photographer as Tony.

Gene M.

1  Thank Gene m
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I would never ever recommend this tour operator to anyone. He was awful, a bully, unapproachable, and never once gave advice about anything. He rarely got out of his vehicle when we reached a particular area. On the few occasions that he spoke he was terribly rude. I have done many tours all over the world in my lifetime and not once did I have such a horrible experience. It was so bad, it left such a bad taste in my mouth that I am going back to Iceland this coming September and I am definitely NOT using him.

31  Thank Simone K
TonyPrower, Owner at Iceland Aurora Photo Tours - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Hello Simone. This is Tony, I took you around Iceland on a 9 day tour last year.

I agree that you had a difficult time on the trip. But we talked about it during the tour and I thought we had a more peaceful final days. When I dropped you off you hugged me and gave me an extra $100. So now I am surprised that you have written this one year later.

It can be hard work taking a group of photographers around Iceland. I worked hard to ensure your comfort. I carried every piece of your 4 piece luggage set each time we arrived at a hotel. I spent hours teaching you basic photography at each location. I think your comments about me not being helpful are very rude. But your rudeness doesn't stop there... telling me "Go and sit in the car you big fat oaf" when I was just trying to stretch my legs was not acceptable.

Bully?, I had a faster wit than you and I stood up to your bullying and rudeness. Maybe nobody had told you that you were rude before? When we discussed our inability to get along, you claimed it was just cultural differences. I have had many Canadians who haven't offended me like you have. I don't care how much money you have, you shouldn't talk to people like that.

You were a last minute replacement for a guy who would have loved to have spent 9 days photographing Iceland. I tried to teach you how to use your camera over a dozen times, but you never got it. There was one time when all 3 photographers were stood around you helping you. You finally understood... until the next time. I asked the other guys how they coped with your constant moaning. One guy told me that he just chooses not to listen.

It is embarrassing for you that I am still in contact with one of the guys. I heard that they are returning to Iceland for another photo tour, did they not invite you?

So in short, you postponed your slating review just in case the guys invited you back for a tour with me... that would have been awkward if you had already posted your review. So it seems that maybe your review was in retaliation for not being invited back?

Receiving a review like this has a profound impact on us guides. This review will hurt our TripAdvisor listing, we will have to work hard to get back where we belong. But I am overjoyed, that I will never hear from you again. When you threaten to never return, you actually increase the value of our tours slightly.

Simone, this is a beautiful world. I took you to some of its most beautiful places... and you missed them all because you were too busy looking for faults. When you can see the beauty in life's imperfections, then you appreciate nature so much more. Please be well and try to move on from this.