“Wonderful trip”

Iceland Aurora Photo Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #85 of 337 Tours in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Photography and sightseeing tours to all parts of Iceland.These flexible tours are driven by a passion for photography and the Icelandic nature.Flexible tours for small groups including advice and guidance regarding photography, Icelandic history and geography. Tours include transportation and accommodation outside of Reykjavik.
Wolverhampton
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Wonderful trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

Having seen the comments on tripadvisor for Tony Prower's Icelandaurora photography tour, and the photographs on his website, I booked a full day flexible tour as part of my husband's birthday present. My daughter is interested in photography and I thought it would be good for her to get some hints and tips - my husband and I are more of the point and click photograpy school. It was just a brilliant 12 hours. Tony was exceptionally helpful even though my daughter is just a beginner but I guess it would probably be better for a more experienced photographer. However she did learn a lot and her photos are really good. The tour was a flexible one i.e. we could choose where we wanted to go - within reason - but as we didn't know iceland we stuck with gullfoss, geysir and pretty much their south coast tour. It did cost a little more than going on a coach but
a) we got the photo tuition
b) whilst these are all tourist spots we weren't there with loads of other people all trying to take the same shots
c) Tony took us to the top of some cliffs (which would be inaccessible to coaches) see Puffins close up - as we are birdwatchers that was something really special
I can only say that it was an amazing 12 hours - thanks Tony!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank thompsonvc

• Thai first
Budapest, Hungary
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“To discover places you would'nt find alone or visit with an organised tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Tony is passionate about photography. He offers great service with his 4x4 by taking you to most interesting places for taking photos and can give you great advice on how to take amazing pictures. I strongly recommend you his tours.

Visited June 2012
4 Thank Blahernai
Suffolk
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A tour and so much more . . .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

We went on a full day tour with Tony to Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon a week ago. To take advantage of the midnight sun (and fewer people at the locations) we left at midday and got back to our hotel at about 3am. Tony made sure that we stopped off at some beautiful spots en route to the lagoon, whilst trying to keep us to the fairly tight schedule necessary when travelling such a long way in a day. Tony gave advice on composition and technique, but also stood back some of the time and let you get on with things. Given that I some of the best lessons learnt are those that you discover for yourself I found the balance just right.

Despite having to do a lot of driving Tony never complained and was very informative about the landscape as we travelled through southern Iceland. His driving put us at ease and we were all very comfortable in the vehicle (Tony matched us up with another couple so that we could share the cost). With hindsight I wish we could have spent longer with Tony so that we could have even more time taking photographs, but this is just a balance of time, money and personal preference. I think he is now favouring taking two days for the trip to the lagoon which makes sense. Another thing that is worth taking into account if you are thinking about booking with Iceland Aurora is that the charge per head if there are four of you is less than many other tours to the area that don't include photographic time and expertise so I think that they are good value for money.

The only downside is that having compared my photographs with Tony's I realise that I still have so very much to learn, but am now even more motivated to put the time in. My final tip is don't foget to also get out from behind the camera and record with the eyes!

Visited June 2012
6 Thank Gillys_travels
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

Tony helped me plan a 3 day South/East Iceland trip, the highlight being the Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon, and an additional 1 day trip to Snaefellsness. He was very responsive to all my emails and answered all my questions about itinerary and equipment.

I was travelling on my own and it can sometimes be a bit awkward when you plan to spend 4 days with a total stranger, but Tony's relaxed and friendly demeanour put me immediately at ease. He is very good at identifying the level of your photography skills and the right balance of 'teaching v leave you alone to shoot'. As an amateur photographer I learned so much in just a few days and have come back with some fantastic shots of Iceland. No question is a stupid question, Tony remains flexible to ensure you get what you want out of the trip, but also teaches you to be a flexible traveller - an important attitude to have in the ever-changing climate in Iceland.

Despite facing some unpredictable and challenging weather, Tony was very adaptable to the conditions and an impromptu snow storm resulting in some great, unexpected shots!

In addition to shooting the 'must see' sights, Tony has a number of locations up his sleeve for those off the beaten track 'money shots'. He travels well-prepared - after returning with soaking wet feet after standing in the ocean for one of those 'money shots' he brought out the spare socks and plastic bags!

On the second evening of the first tour, my camera faced the end of it's life when it fell into the glacier lagoon (long story). Completely gutted at the thought of being half way into a photography holiday without a camera, Tony left me alone to have the sulk I felt I deserved that evening (!), before helping me put it behind me and be positive the next day. He not only lent me his Canon 5D for our final day of shooting, but jumped on the phone and internet to help me locate a replacement and kindly took me there once we were back in Reykjavik.

This trip exceeded my expectations. Not only did I experience an amazing part of Iceland, I was travelling with a safe driver and patient teacher, and have returned a better photographer for the experience.

Would recommend this to photographers of all levels - great experience.

Visited May 2012
6 Thank netherk
Walla Walla, Washington
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Best part of Iceland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

I am a new amateur photographer and not only did Tony take us around to great places, he also showed us how to use the camera. The weather wasn't as cooperative however, but this added to the excellent pictures we got! We did the gigantic group thing, but the smaller one-on-one is much better, and we saw more sights than on the large tour bus. We'll be back.

Visited January 2012