“If you don't stay here, you're dumb”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Our House

Our House
Ranked #21 of 100 Specialty Lodging in Reykjavik
New Jersey
“If you don't stay here, you're dumb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

Our House was incredible, and appropriately named. It really felt like home. It was clean and comfortable and in a great location. Bedda was wonderful. How many places have you stayed where the owner gives you a hug when you leave? She has a great dvd selection if you want to stay in and recommendations for live music if you want to go out. She also recommended a cheap car rental company, which was perfect! I can't wait to go back. So, all in all, if you don't stay here, you're dumb.

And in response to the person who mentioned the street noise...we had the same problem at first, but it helps if you close the window ;)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2011

In a country that can be so expensive, it was great to stay at Our House. Not only was it fantastic value for money, but for the 3 nights that I was there, it felt like I had never left home.
Bedda, the host, was incredibly warm and friendly right from the start. She works really hard to ensure a clean, safe and comfortable stay for everyone. She took the time to point out all of the city's hotspots and places to go; nothing was too much of an ask for her.
The whole experience was really personal and the hostel has a real 'family' vibe. Ernesto, the caretaker, was also great and always wearing a smile.

Location wise, Our House is about 2 mins walk from the Hallgrims Church. There are plenty of little cafes nearby, and a small convenience store around the corner that's open late. However, I'd recommend the Bonus Supermarket up the road a bit.

The rooms are cosy, but I got a room on the ground floor next to the road and at times during the night it could be quite noisy on the street.

Other than that, I have nothing but praise for Our House. The bathrooms and showers were spic and span, and the free breakfast, coffee and other food was an awesome touch.

Thanks Bedda and Our House; you made my trip to Iceland just unforgettable!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2010

Bedda was the most lovely and welcoming hostess. I stayed here for 10 days in January and she really makes you feel at home. The location is perfect, right in the middle of everything, and it is the coziest hostel/guesthouse I have ever stayed in. It's the best place to stay in Reykjavik!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2010

There's loads of really nice things I could say about Our House: great location, really friendly staff, beautiful house, clean rooms, modern, great decor, really relaxed atmosphere, and I could go on and on, but I think the best compliment I can pay it is that it doesn't feel like you're staying in a hostel, but in a friend's house that also happens to be one of the nicest houses you could hope to stay in. I can't recommend it enough. Also, it's ridiculously inexpensive as well, which is good, because Reykjavik can be pretty pricey. If you're planning to a trip to Iceland you'd be crazy not to stay at Our House, which be far one of the best places I've ever stayed in.

One final tip, if you're going to Reykjavik definitely see the Northern Lights, to be honest, we got lucky and saw the best display of the winter, and there's no guarantee that you'll see them, but it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in my life so it's definitely worth taking a risk and booking a tour. Thanks once again to Bedda and Anna for being such great hosts. James, Spike & Dan.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

I cannot recommend Our House enough...I have stayed in lots of hostels the world over and this is by far the best. Friendliest hosts you'll ever meet, and everything you could ever need is at your disposal. It is really well-located, the rooms are light, airy, and immaculate, and the beds are very comfortable. The sauna is a huge bonus, too. I will be staying here the next time I'm in Reykjavik for SURE!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

Before arriving in Reykjavik, I was already excited to stay at Our House because of the pictures on the website (all accurate) and because the owner, Bedda, had been so helpful via email prior to our arrival in Iceland. She provided recommendations of other places to stay, eat, and buy groceries, as well as how to get to and from the Blue Lagoon. She is very accommodating and really wishes everyone to have a good trip and a great stay.

Needless to say, Our House is even better in person! The house is really nice and comfortable - a great place to settle in if you're going to be in Reykjavik for a few days given it's central location. You have access to the Internet, a TV/DVD player, sauna, BBQ, and comfortable sitting areas inside and out. She provides a great self-serve breakfast in the morning and posts polaroids of all the guests staying in the house, so it's easy to meet people and also makes you feel secure.

It can get a little noisy at night, depending on who is staying at Our House at the same time as you (as with any guesthouse/hostel), but luckily, Bedda has thought of everything and provides ear plugs for guests so we didn't have a problem at all! The beds were really comfortable (even the cot!) and I slept well each night I was there.

We missed Our House when we left and I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Reykjavik!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights in July and 1 night in August, at the start and end of my trip in Iceland.

Our House is right in the centre of Reykjavik, near the big church Hallgrimskirkja. I found the location really good to explore the city, as it is close to shops and a short walk to the harbour. There are maps and tourist guides in the reception area.

The owner Bedda was great, she is so welcoming and makes you feel at home straight away. She made the effort to get to know all the guests staying there. One of the loveliest people I met in Iceland! :-)

I stayed in the single room, which was very comfortable. The interior of the house is really lovely, cosy environment. The downstairs is quite open plan with the kitchen/diner going through to a TV room and reception. There is a PC with internet that the guests can use, and DVDs to watch.

It is a great place to stay! I will stay here again if I go back to Iceland! :-)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo